spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
Why doesn't this look as fun as the previous titles?

Looks far more fun than dk64 or that weird jumping one on the gba. It seems to me that the main thing about the snes dkc was the gfx superiority, which it has never been able to do in later versions. It was after all, just a standard platform game.
If this had unexpectedly high gfx quality, perhaps it would look as good as dkc did on the snes.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Why doesn't this look as fun as the previous titles?
Retreads often don't.

Just not feeling this game at all, I loved the first DKC and enjoyed the the others (though they were just more of the same) and also Jungle Beat was an excellent game too but this seems to lack a certain something that I expect from AAA Nintendo titles. I thought Retro Studios dealing with this would have meant that it could have been a fantastic game but nothing I've seen has done anything other than just copy previous Country titles.

Saying that I was that keen on NSMB Wii and I love that game when I played it.

QUOTE(spinal_cord @ Sep 22 2010, 08:58 PM) that weird jumping one on the gba.
I thought Jungle Climber & King of Swing were excellent games, loved those titles a lot.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, you can't be sure now, but they might announce more features later on.

But if it's the classic formula of gameplay, then yeah you will probably think it's the same.

fishykipper

pkmn breeder
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
whattttttttttt, this looks amazing!! nice graphic, and Rambi's return...perfection
no rare though, but still classic music and what looks like fun game play.

Puts me in the mood for some Donkey Konga. Might just have to whip my drums out :-)

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Looks great and since I believe in RETRO being able to capture the exact essence of what DKC made DKC and also introducing new things that still feel right in the context of the Country-games I`m sure this game is going to be amazing.

I love this for several reasons and I also love Nintendo for doing these 2D-games. I always thought that it was a good thing, that the DS was underpowered, since we still got some 2D-games but I really don`t mind playing them on my TV as well... Good times
biggrin.gif

Also I never agreed with Miyamoto on what he thinks about the DKC-series.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
I get what Chaz is saying. something about it feels... off. I does not feel the same as the original titles. And I loved the DKC series.

*being 100% serious*

It's the lack of jumping crocs.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
I get what you guys are saying about the game not seeming as "Donkey King Country-ish". The game, while staying true to its roots, just doesn't seem as aesthetically-familiar as the SNES outings they're based on. The style, apart from familiar faces like the 'Kongs and Rambi, looks rather generic. Once again, I can't exactly put my finger on it, but the difference is obvious, in a subtle sort of way. /Paradox

Another factor that always irks me about watching game previews online is that they're almost always presented in 30 frames per second. Seasoned gamers will agree that games running at 60 frames per second just seem smoother in terms of motion and flow. Considering that the SNES Country games ran at 60 fps for NTSC and 50 fps PAL, both of which are rates much faster than the rate presented in the video, the aesthetic "smooth" factor seems to has disappeared while viewing this preview, in my opinion.

Of course, this doesn't mean that Donkey Kong Country Returns is doomed to be 30 fps. It could very well run at a silky-smooth 60 fps. It's just that the standard for internet video is 30 fps, so the game doesn't look as smooth-moving as it would on a console. Get my drift? Try watching videos on Youtube from other 60 fps games, too. The difference is quite astounding, actually, especially in racing games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs