New to USB HDD Loading

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Difussion3, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Difussion3
    OP

Difussion3 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2013
    United States
    Hey guys, I recently got up to speed with my Wiikey-modded Wii (hadn't touched it since late 2008) and soft modded it using Modmii. I updated to 4.1U and installed USB-Loader with CFG USB Loader and Wiiflow in case i wanted to load from an HDD now. Well now i do. I recently bought a WD HDD and I'm completely lost on how to proceed. Lots of old posts I've read indicate that the HDD must be formatted as WBFS while others indicate FAT32. What is it? Is there an updated step-by-step guide I can follow that tells me what I need to do with the HDD to get it to run Wii games? please advise and thanks in advance!

2. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    I have only ever used wbfs , fat 32 I think is for more of less adding stuff to the drive like homebrew and things not sure how to add games to a fat 32 drive due to size limitations .
    But you can download wbfs manager use that to format the drive and then add your games with it . Only Issue I have had with wbfw manager is it wont add files that are already wbfs , it wants a .iso and when it copys it to the drive it turns the file into a .wbfs file which is much smaller ( removes all the padding from the game ) for files that I already had as wbfs , I used wii back up manager to copy wbfs files to the hard drive

3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
  4. Difussion3
    OP

Difussion3 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2013
    United States
    Correct me if im wrong, can't you just pop your Wii game into the Wii and use one of the apps (Wiiflow, CFG USB, etc.) to copy the game straight into the HDD?

5. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    You can , but I think it would be faster using your computer , then you would have a back up on the computer incase the external drive fails

6. Difussion3
    OP

Difussion3 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2013
    United States
    Will that program work on a Mac?

7. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Yeah he can just dump the disc with an updated loader and HDD setup, but transferring an ISO from the PC would be much faster, the disc dumping process takes a while.

8. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    no, but there are others that will
    look eg into wiimms tools and its frontends