Hacking New to this

biglou75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I haven't done or seen anything like this since I used to mess with the Sega Dreamcast!

I haven't been in this game in while, so I was hoping I could get some help on this.

I recently brought my daughter a DSi, and me and my wife will be keeping (and sharing) her DS Lite.

Can someone recommend a good flashcart for them?

From my shopping, I'm leaning towards an M3i, M3i Zero, Acekard AK2i, or R4I Revolution. I'm also looking into the Supercard, but am not too crazy about the one I got for my GBA SP.

What I'm looking for is something simple to use, especially for my daughter. I don't need any extras and am just looking to play the games on them as if they were the real card. Also, from what I've read, I need one that will be compatible for the DSi.

So which is recommended? Any help would be appreciated!

Also, what does it mean to "brick" the card when it's updated?

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want the BEST dsi cart get the m3i zero for $21
if your in a budget situation go for the acekard 2i $12
i own both and enjoy the m3 much more

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the meaning of "brick" is when nintendo updates the firmware on the DSI and it dosent allow a flashcart to be used on that firmware version. This happened with the DSI 1.4 firmware and the M3i is great because if nintendo decideds to try and stop flashcarts on the DSi, the M3i comes with this little usb thing that, when you plug it into your computer along with the M3i, if there is currently a solution for that flashcart block then it will automaticly get past it by updating the M3i firmware

flusflus89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I recommend Acekard 2i. There's a custom firmware made for it and maintained here on gbatemp called AKAIO. So anytime something new comes up and require a FC update, chances are it'll come first on AK2i. Awesome FC, can't go wrong.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
zeromac said:
the meaning of "brick" is when nintendo updates the firmware on the DSI and it dosent allow a flashcart to be used on that firmware version.
Another meaning is that the card stops working if you try to update it with an incompatible firmware. Teams usually add some clone-killer code into their updates that "bricks" clones of their card when you try to update them with it.

You should be careful to get a genuine card. Dealextreme, for example is notorious for not checking their cards for fakes. Fakes initially work like the genuine cards, but a firmware upgrade can kill them.

Krisboo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I own a R4i Neo (a fake R4i) and i don't recommend it, because it doesn't have firmware upgrades so i can't run many games. I recommend you to buy an Acekard 2i or a M3i Zero. In my opinion, i prefer the M3i ( because it has very cool features), but if you want a Flashcart, just for playing games, then go with the Acekard 2i.

C ya.

biglou75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
zeromac said:
the meaning of "brick" is when nintendo updates the firmware on the DSI and it dosent allow a flashcart to be used on that firmware version.
Another meaning is that the card stops working if you try to update it with an incompatible firmware. Teams usually add some clone-killer code into their updates that "bricks" clones of their card when you try to update them with it.

You should be careful to get a genuine card. Dealextreme, for example is notorious for not checking their cards for fakes. Fakes initially work like the genuine cards, but a firmware upgrade can kill them.

Damn, and Dealextreme was the place I was going to buy them from. For the prices they offer and free shipping, I might just take a chance. Any place I can check the differences between the real and fake cards like what Supercard does on their website? Any other suggested stores I can purchase them?

BTW, thanks to everyone for the great info and suggestions!!

Kawo

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have heard about the new flashcarts can't run DSI exclusive games.
Is this true?
I want change my DS and card but if is not complete i will wait.

vash1223

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
biglou75 said:
Damn, and Dealextreme was the place I was going to buy them from. For the prices they offer and free shipping, I might just take a chance. Any place I can check the differences between the real and fake cards like what Supercard does on their website? Any other suggested stores I can purchase them?

BTW, thanks to everyone for the great info and suggestions!!
Well, aside from watching out for clones, Deal Extreme is still a very good place to order from, I personally ordered from them, and aside from the long ship times, ranging anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so, and I haven't had a single problem with them. And if you still want to order from someone else try looking here. And you can normally check the home page of a card to find fakes(as in the AceKards case), but for M3 fakes check here and scroll down a bit and look under the warning title for the fakes.

And Kawo, right now there are no cards that are DSi mode compatible, so stave off for a bit, but so far there are hardly and DSi only games so it wouldn't be that big of a deal if you upgraded.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Kawo said:
I have heard about the new flashcarts can't run DSI exclusive games.
Is this true?
I want change my DS and card but if is not complete i will wait.
Yeah, it's true. But there aren't any DSi only games out yet, just ones with extra features when you plug them into the DSi.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By a couple of Acekard 2is from DX and call it day. If you want Real-Time save buy the M3iZeros. Shipping is dead slow to the states, average three weeks. Game byGame is located in Cali and will ship it same day and you will get it in under three days. Its a price vs. speed of delivery choice to make.

ibrawl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd get the acekard2i it's simple to use (well for me) and works fine . You can also play the games mainly
without a problem with Akaio 1.5
I also got my card from realhotstuff without a problem. i payed for my shipping.
The item was shipped Monday and got it Wednesday so that was pretty fast and it was a
real card.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
biglou75 said:
From my shopping, I'm leaning towards an M3i, M3i Zero, Acekard AK2i, or R4I Revolution. I'm also looking into the Supercard, but am not too crazy about the one I got for my GBA SP.

Don't buy anything that has R4 in it.

Just don't.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Kawo said:
Then if I use a game for DSi in the M30 it works?
Like a imagine who use the camera?

Not yet and we don't know if it ever will be able to. You might just need a firmware patch to play DSi games, you might need to buy a new card. Nobody's sure.

Maz7006 said:
QUOTE(biglou75 @ Oct 2 2009, 09:20 AM) From my shopping, I'm leaning towards an M3i, M3i Zero, Acekard AK2i, or R4I Revolution. I'm also looking into the Supercard, but am not too crazy about the one I got for my GBA SP.

Just don't.

^ Listen to this guy! Trust us, buy an R4 and you'll regret it. There are too many of the damn clones so don't listen to what the vendors/your friends say. R4's are... unsupported crap.
Edit: Oh, and for the love of god, don't buy that "M3i". If it's not called "M3i Zero", it's a fake. Don't even buy it if it has a nice pretty "Upgrade 132 SDHCSD" on it. It'll still be an inferior, fake cart.

Nugg2396

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
fearofshorts said:
Kawo said:
Then if I use a game for DSi in the M30 it works?
Like a imagine who use the camera?

Not yet and we don't know if it ever will be able to. You might just need a firmware patch to play DSi games, you might need to buy a new card. Nobody's sure.

Maz7006 said:
QUOTE(biglou75 @ Oct 2 2009, 09:20 AM) From my shopping, I'm leaning towards an M3i, M3i Zero, Acekard AK2i, or R4I Revolution. I'm also looking into the Supercard, but am not too crazy about the one I got for my GBA SP.

Just don't.

^ Listen to this guy! Trust us, buy an R4 and you'll regret it. There are too many of the damn clones so don't listen to what the vendors/your friends say. R4's are... unsupported crap.
Edit: Oh, and for the love of god, don't buy that "M3i". If it's not called "M3i Zero", it's a fake. Don't even buy it if it has a nice pretty "Upgrade 132 SDHCSD" on it. It'll still be an inferior, fake cart.
Yes, I agree, I bought an R4, last year (for some odd, crazy reason, i was lucky enough to get a genuine one)
Go with Acekard 2i or M3 Zero.. I wish I could have those
tongue.gif

and btw, your a cool dad
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not sure why, every other N64 game just runs fine with all kinds of enhancements but noooo KI... +1