Hacking new to softmoding(?) or whatever it's called =)

NextStep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hi, everyone.

i haven't been following the wii scene much since Brawl.

and man, back then, it was so easy. all i had to do was update the wiikey firmware.

i read through alot of pages in the NSMB topic, and the easiest solution for my situation is to get the Gecko thing running.

however, i have never done this before, since i ignored most of the things requiring SD cards, until now.

but, i'm having a hard time finding/understanding tutorials to help make this work (i don't want to blindly trial and error, and risk bricking the wii or anything).

most of the tutorials are too "mumbo jumbo" for my technological expertise.

can someone post a step-by-step in how to install Gecko on my wii? (if that's the correct term to use)

---------------------

i'm **hoping** it will be something simple, like this,

step 1, format SD card
step 2, drag X, Y, Z files to SD card, and put it in Wii
step 3, open Wii, Gecko will auto install
step 4, put NSMB in Wii, and play

smile.gif

but i'm prepared for the worst.

------------------

edit:

i just read this topic
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=199432

do i really have to do all that?

looks so complicated.

wadzinsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

follow that tutorial instead.

Yes, you REALLY have to do that. It was a bit overwhelming for me too. Just don't be stupid and rush through it. The tutorial is very well laid out and very descriptive. There is always a chance of bricking, but if you follow the tutorial word for word, chances are you'll be fine. It only took me about 15 minutes to softmod the first time. then it only took 5 minutes the second time.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a working mod chip no you don't have to go through everything there, but it wouldn't hurt, and you would be able to do more things with homebrew at that point (such as usb loading and such).

All you need for your purposes is geckoOS, which technically you don't even need to install the HBC to begin with for.

If you're on 4.2 already get V2 of bannerbomb or else get the original one and put the files from the zip on the root of your sd card (It should end up being something like SD:\private\Wii\titles\aktn\ with some file in there.

At that point you could either put the boot.dol of GeckoOS on the root of your sd card and every time you want to run geckoOS, run bannerbomb (either by going into data management and channels and clicking sd card there for anything below 4.2 or just clicking the sd card menu button on the wii menu on 4.2.)

OR you can put the boot.elf of the hackmii installer on the root of the card and run that with bannerbomb one time instead and just install the HBC through that. Then you can put the boot.dol of GeckoOS on your sd card as follows: SD:\apps\GeckoOS\ and put the boot.dol there (if there's an icon.png and/or a meta.xml for it, put those in that folder as well.) and then just run it through the homebrew channel itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@