Hacking New to flashcarts, with latest 3DS patch, which ones actually work?

drhydralisk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty new to flashcarts but have been doing some research on them but I am still a bit confused. With the latest 3DS patch (4.4.0.10), what cards will actually work and allow me to play backed up games? A lot of cards say they are updated for 4.4.0.10 but I see posts about that patch blocking pretty much all cards. And am I able to play 3DS games (3d)? I thought I read I can only play older DS games. Sorry if you guys get this question all the time.

D

Dork

Nothing can play 3DS roms as of now.

The Supercard DSTWO is compatible with the latest firmware

http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The two best flashcarts that work with 3DS 4.4.0-10 are the Supercard DSTWO and the R4i Gold 3DS (r4ids.cn).

drhydralisk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The two best flashcarts that work with 3DS 4.4.0-10 are the Supercard DSTWO and the R4i Gold 3DS (r4ids.cn).

Ah, thanks! Glad to know I don't need to fork over $40 on the DSTWO (don't really need all those extra features). On the downloads section it says the latest patch will only work for PCB 9 and up, how can I know or where can I buy an R4i Gold 3DS that works with that patch?

TessJankins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Ace3ds Plus just released an update. You have to run the update on the 3ds before you update to 4.4.0-10 but it works perfectly!

http://www.ace3ds.com/

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
easier than r4 and acekard ever were.
Oh, bullshit. All modern flash carts use the "drag-and-drop" method to transfer the software and games, and all still-supported ones use the same type of firmware update method too (the DSTwo even have a faster one that doesn't flash the bootloader, which is quicker).

TessJankins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Easier meaning there's only one website to get the firmware from, it always works, and has 100% compatibility. Also since its newer there aren't any fakes yet. But thanks for the negative response when I was only trying to let everyone know there's a third card confirmed working. Enjoy spending quadruple the money for a split second faster flash card which, my friend, is in fact the bullshit portion of the situation.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Easier meaning there's only one website to get the firmware from, it always works, and has 100% compatibility. Also since its newer there aren't any fakes yet. But thanks for the negative response when I was only trying to let everyone know there's a third card confirmed working.
The original Ace3DS was a clone. The current Ace3DS Plus is also a clone. The current kernel that they use is a seemingly hacked up version of an older version of the Wood kernels (with updates to game compatibility, not features like animation or whatever else was changed). It's nice to know that there is a third card working, but until they get official support from YWG, I won't like them because I suggested that they go for it but have since never heard anything about it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Easier meaning there's only one website to get the firmware from
Acekard? www.akaio.net
Supercard? eng.supercard.sc
R4i Gold? www.r4ids.cn

Not to mention that the Wood for Ace3DS is fake/hacked. Other carts don't have to pirate software just so they can run games, unlike the Ace3DS.

it always works, and has 100% compatibility.
More bullshit. Ace3DS has released multiple fixes for game and 3DS/DSi compatibility, which logically means that they were broken, meaning compatibility is NOT 100%.

Also since its newer there aren't any fakes yet.
There's no fake DSTwo either.

But thanks for the negative response when I was only trying to let everyone know there's a third card confirmed working.
It's okay to like a card, but don't lie to make it look better when it's not.

Enjoy spending quadruple the money for a split second faster flash card which, my friend, is in fact the bullshit portion of the situation.
Enjoy a clone cart with hacked/stolen firmware, which will likely stop being supported when either YWG or RGF (the people actually producing the updates that Ace3DS is taking without permissions) figure out how to update in such a way that teams like Ace3DS can't use it anymore and kill off support because it's obvious they can't even code their own software.

Reactions: 1 person

TessJankins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
That's just sad...sorry you have nothing better to do than give people trying to help a hard time. The amount of effort you have put into cutting me down when I have said nothing offensive or hurtful only reflects your own lack of confidence and satisfaction. Thank you for making the first time I've ever posted anything on one of these sites absolutely horrific. Hope this makes you feel like the bigger and smarter person. I'm out.

TessJankins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
And for the record I was speaking from a consumer point of view who has used many R4 cards, acekards and the ds two, with multiple versions of ds (ds lite, dsi, dsi xl, 3ds, 3ds xl), over many years. and I have found that the ace3ds plus card has the same basic functions one might buy a flash card for (ie ds and Dsi games, emulators, movie play, etc) at a price no other card can touch. I've received multiple r4 cards which were fake and glitchy and was simply sharing my appreciation for a card (hacked/stolen whatever) which is simple, fast, cheap and one of only three currently working with the new system update (damn good hacked/stolen software I guess). Bottom line..who cares how they did it.. It works..and works well.

linuxGuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And for the record I was speaking from a consumer point of view who has used many R4 cards, acekards and the ds two, with multiple versions of ds (ds lite, dsi, dsi xl, 3ds, 3ds xl), over many years. and I have found that the ace3ds plus card has the same basic functions one might buy a flash card for (ie ds and Dsi games, emulators, movie play, etc) at a price no other card can touch. I've received multiple r4 cards which were fake and glitchy and was simply sharing my appreciation for a card (hacked/stolen whatever) which is simple, fast, cheap and one of only three currently working with the new system update (damn good hacked/stolen software I guess). Bottom line..who cares how they did it.. It works..and works well.
What? None of those cards can access dsi mode. Only ds mode.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
and I have found that the ace3ds plus card has the same basic functions one might buy a flash card for (ie ds and Dsi games, emulators, movie play, etc)
As linuxGuru pointed out, no recommend carts run in DSi-mode, and so cannot play DSi-only games. They can only play DSi-enhanced games, and then only in DS-mode. The only cart that can run things in DSi-mode is the iEvo, and it broke (with a DSi update) and stopped getting support ages ago.

Not to mention that the DSTwo has it's own onboard processor that's more powerful than even the DS itself (realize that the DS is 8-year old hardware by now), and can therefore run some emulators (GBA/SNES/DOS) and play videos way better than other flash carts, including the Ace3DS.

GBA emulator compatibility...
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DSTWO_GBA_Emulator_Compatibility

SNES emulator release info (the latest version, as it's open-source),
http://gbatemp.net/t281917-catsfc-released

Video player info (showing the additional supported formats).
http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/plugin/dstwo-iplayer.htm

(damn good hacked/stolen software I guess).
Wood isn't firmware, it doesn't determine DSi/3DS compatibility, it's for game/homebrew compatibility.

Bottom line..who cares how they did it..
People who care about their cart working for more than a bit.

It works..and works well.
For now. And if you had asked any iEvo user, at the time it came out, how well it worked they would have told you it works well. Now, however, it has no support. iEvo users cannot upgrade their DSi or 3DS without either losing DSi/DS mode switching, or losing the ability to access the cart at all. Ask them now? They'll tell you it's bad and you shouldn't buy one.

What about the http://r4ds-i.com.cn/ cart? If you had asked anybody back then if it worked, they would have told you it did.
That cart has so little support now that the site's not even there anymore. People who bought that cart are screwed now, even though it used to work.

Want some more examples? Sure.
http://r4iids.com
http://dsfire2.com/
http://ndstti.cn/
http://www.r4-dsl.net
http://r4iiinew.com
http://r4iii.com/
And I could go on...

All those sites used to be working carts, but now they're gone.

Given that Ace3DS is using hacked software produced by other people, it's extra likely they will stop being able to do it in the future. Wood went closed-source to stop other people from porting it without giving source a while back, and other softwares like AKAIO are known to use clone detection to stop the software from being used on other carts without permissions.

Who cares that Ace3DS doesn't have "R4" in it? The M3 series stopped support, the Cyclo series stopped support, the DSFire series stopped support...

That's just sad...sorry you have nothing better to do than give people trying to help a hard time. The amount of effort you have put into cutting me down when I have said nothing offensive or hurtful only reflects your own lack of confidence and satisfaction. Thank you for making the first time I've ever posted anything on one of these sites absolutely horrific. Hope this makes you feel like the bigger and smarter person. I'm out.
It's okay to like a cart, but make sure you have your facts straight before you go out and claim it's better than others, because you're wrong on pretty much everything you've said.

You've been lying and posting untrue things, and I've been calling you on it. You'll get this sort of response anywhere you go around posting false things in order to try to make something look good. Go to a religious forum and try to post that Jesus was Mexican? You'll get this kind of response. Go to a car forum and try to post that Ford cars use child labor in the US? You'll get this kind of response. Go to a football/soccer forum and try to post untrue rumors about popular coaches, and you'll find yourself run out as well.

The advice you're giving is bad advice, and the things you're saying are false. That's why you're getting this kind of response.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP

If you had only informed us of the Ace3DS is now working on the 3DS, that would of been perfectly fine, but to add "easier than r4 and acekard ever were", you were asking for trouble.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
._. ...There be such opinionated comments here. Clones stinx, unsupported stinx, but all that really needs to be stated is the current situation of the flashcart and let the people that want to buy a flashcart decide if they want to go for a clone or not with the information provided.

To bring everything back to the beginning:
There are currently 3 known working carts (to my knowledge. There may be more, but I really don't care enough to check).
They consist of the DSTWO which is ~$35 USD, R4iDSN/R4iGold at ~$16-20 (pulling numbers at random), and the Ace3DS Plus at ~$10.
Two of the flashcarts are clones of other flashcarts originally, though the R4iGold has since gained some vestiges of respect because they weren't retards and decided to let YWG deal with the kernel stuff, whereas the Ace3DS Plus team hasn't done that yet. The DS2 is a retarded investment if you don't plan on doing anything with the extra features that it boasts of but the team doesn't support. Rather than everyone getting butthurt about the Ace3DS+ being a shitty unsupported clone, it would be nice if more people would tell their team to fucking listen to the great suggestion of getting real support from YWG, because that is really all it's missing currently.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
._. ...There be such opinionated comments here. Clones stinx, unsupported stinx, but all that really needs to be stated is the current situation of the flashcart and let the people that want to buy a flashcart decide if they want to go for a clone or not with the information provided.
Most people don't know the history behind it and don't know what getting an unsupported cart actually means. They get it for the games, not knowing that dropped support means new games won't run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4vMLpcX7A