New to 3DS, Questions?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by PirateHD, Dec 5, 2013.

1. PirateHD
    OP

PirateHD Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2013
    United States
    I just bought my girlfriend the Nintendo 3DS Zelda edition, it's pretty sweet.
    Trying to get as many Zelda games as I can for her, I read that Nintendo DS games are compatible so I'm looking forward to getting her Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, also they released Ocarina of Time for 3ds. What other Zelda games are playable?

Anyway to play games off of an SD card? I have the Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks ROMS.
    What can you do with an SD card? play music, movies?
    Anyway to play SNES/GBA games? would like to get A Link to the Past and A Minish Cap on there.

What are the coolest hacks for the 3DS? Cool apps?
    I've read something about flash cartridges, but I don't quite get it...
    Any advise would be appreciated :)

PS. Can you play 3D movies on it? like side by side

2. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
    1. From Zelda Wiki, these are the DS Zelda Games: Phantom Hourglass, Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Tingle's Balloon Fight DS, Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love, Spirit Tracks
    So, mainly Spirit Tracks & Phantom Hourglass.

2. You can play them using a flashcart such as the DSTwo or R4i 3DS. These are DS cartridges with a microSD slot. You put ROMs on the SD and then pop the card into the game slot. However, these aren't free, and are $40 for the DSTwo and usually $20 for the R4i.
    Sadly, you cannot play ROMs directly off the 3DS SD Card.

3. You can only play music in the 3DS Music app - movies are not supported.

4. Not sure about SNES, but the DSTwo can emulate GBA Games - you just plop on the ROM into the DSTwo's microSD and play. You can purchase "Virtual Console" games though on the eShop. These are releases of old games for the 3DS (just the game, not re-made or anything)

5. There are no "hacks". Since you bought the Zelda 3DS, it has version 6.1 on it I believe. The only way to play 3DS ROMs (NOT DS GAME ROMS) is to be on firmware 4.X, and to buy a Gateway. Specifically concerning your console, there are no hacks besides playing DS Games as mentioned before.

6. Idk about cool "apps". It's not exactly a phone; the main feature will be playing purchased games.

7. You can take 3D movies using the dual cameras and play them back, but the quality isn't great and you can't load your own movies onto it.

3. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    ^ Acutally using a converter you can play 3d movies but its locked at 15fps.
    Also with the gateway you CAN play ds games using the blue cart but you have to be out of gateway mode and then if yyou want 3d games reprogramblah blah blah. You are already past 4.5 most likely so whatever.

4. PirateHD
    OP

PirateHD Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback, So which one would ya'll recommend? DSTwo or r41?
    What are the pros and cons? from your experience.