New Switch Lite Revision HDH002 (Already?)

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by DayVeeBoi, Sep 30, 2019.

1. DayVeeBoi
    OP

DayVeeBoi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    DayVeeBoi is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    I have an FCC alert set up for whenever Nintendo submits an application. Normally they don't include pictures (IIRC) but the one I got this morning did. I don't have a Switch Lite to compare but it appears identical, and in fact, this quote is directly from the application:
    IDK why they would have a new revision already unless they are aware of something seriously wrong, if anyone smarter than I has any suggestions, I would like to hear them. (Source: https://fccid.io/BKEHDH002)
    Switch_Front_FCC.

hippy dave, Extrasklep and Budsixz like this.
  2. kongsnutz

kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Jul 19, 2008
    Those are more rugged Joycons

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  3. DayVeeBoi
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    I actually considered that, but I don't think they would have to submit a new application. However I don't pay that close attention to the FCC filings so I could be wrong.

4. kongsnutz

kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Jul 19, 2008
    They might if they use new parts, I think they have to submit all new parts to FCC

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  5. DayVeeBoi
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Interesting, did you look at the pictures? That's another thing. they don't normally post images but they did this time and that makes me think they very likely just copy-pasted the entire application. I think that lends credence to what you are saying (new JoyCon assembly) or another very minor revision. But that makes me wonder, why a whole new model number?

Here are internal photos including the JoyCon PCB--> https://fccid.io/BKEHDH002/Internal-Photos/04-Internal-Photo-4466035

6. Techinicabor

Techinicabor Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2015
    United States
    Frisco, TX
    It's the development-mode Switch Lite. Nintendo stated elsewhere in other documents that it contains the same internals and even used the same photos as the HDH-001 filing for HDH-002. upload_2019-9-30_16-7-32.
    It's the same hardware, same sticks, same board. just some differences in the fuses.

Last edited by Techinicabor, Sep 30, 2019
    DayVeeBoi likes this.
  7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Maybe they won't use joycon parts that suck?

8. DayVeeBoi
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Good catch. I just quickly scanned through (it was like 5am here) I wonder what "or Events" means exactly. Any idea if Nintendo's Kiosk (or Dev) Units in the past had different model numbers than retail units?

Looks like it has the same serial number prefix (XJW) as other Switch Lites as well:
    Switch_Serial_FCC.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, Sep 30, 2019
  9. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 2, 2013
    Australia
    the picture looks like it has joycons that similar to the pro controller and switch lite in that it has d-pad and non-tactile

but changes in fuses worry me and this would be a shadow drop into the market

10. Techinicabor

Techinicabor Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2015
    United States
    Frisco, TX
    I just meant the only hardware difference is that this system is development-fused, which technically means it has less fuses burned. The Production fuse is unburnt if it's a *DEV device.

Nintendo and others using Switch usually deploy development consoles at events and expos. You'll see the odd HOME button press on a live feed and up pops the menus or icons used by the development firmware.

Last edited by Techinicabor, Sep 30, 2019
    DayVeeBoi likes this.
  11. DayVeeBoi
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Now that you mention it, I have actually seen that before.

I was more wondering about whether or not the Kiosk units usually have a different model number, but I researched a bit after I asked you that and saw that it's not out of the ordinary for Kiosk units to have a different model number.

I am pretty convinced that you are correct about it being a Dev and/or Kiosk unit. However, at least one tech-blogging site appears to have a different opinion, and I am sure there will be several sites that follow suit once they get around to copying and pasting the first "journalist".

I am going to quote a post I made on another site with my arguments against this being a revision related to JoyCon Drift.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, Oct 1, 2019
  12. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    If your device contains a battery, any changes to the internals must be registered. The fcc decided this after all the problems with the galaxy notes exploding a few years back.

13. TheSpearGuy

TheSpearGuy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    Now I want this black version :D

14. DayVeeBoi
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    I think it's just the grey color that is already available.

If you look through the thread, it's discussed here that this model number "revision" is likely just a retail model with the only difference being which fuses are triggered within the Tegra chipset.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted