Gaming New Switch Lite Revision HDH002 (Already?)

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have an FCC alert set up for whenever Nintendo submits an application. Normally they don't include pictures (IIRC) but the one I got this morning did. I don't have a Switch Lite to compare but it appears identical, and in fact, this quote is directly from the application:
Based on the manufacturer's declaration,
Model HDH-001
can be regarded as equivalent to Model HDH-002 for the radio
characteristics related to this application.
(Refer Theory of Operation-Differences)
IDK why they would have a new revision already unless they are aware of something seriously wrong, if anyone smarter than I has any suggestions, I would like to hear them. (Source: https://fccid.io/BKEHDH002)
Switch_Front_FCC.jpg

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They might if they use new parts, I think they have to submit all new parts to FCC
Interesting, did you look at the pictures? That's another thing. they don't normally post images but they did this time and that makes me think they very likely just copy-pasted the entire application. I think that lends credence to what you are saying (new JoyCon assembly) or another very minor revision. But that makes me wonder, why a whole new model number?

Here are internal photos including the JoyCon PCB--> https://fccid.io/BKEHDH002/Internal-Photos/04-Internal-Photo-4466035

Techinicabor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the development-mode Switch Lite. Nintendo stated elsewhere in other documents that it contains the same internals and even used the same photos as the HDH-001 filing for HDH-002.
upload_2019-9-30_16-7-32.png

It's the same hardware, same sticks, same board. just some differences in the fuses.

Last edited by Techinicabor,
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's the development-mode Switch Lite. Nintendo stated elsewhere in other documents that it contains the same internals and even used the same photos as the HDH-001 filing for HDH-002.View attachment 181141
It's the same hardware, same sticks, same board. just some differences in the fuses.
Good catch. I just quickly scanned through (it was like 5am here) I wonder what "or Events" means exactly. Any idea if Nintendo's Kiosk (or Dev) Units in the past had different model numbers than retail units?

Looks like it has the same serial number prefix (XJW) as other Switch Lites as well:
Switch_Serial_FCC.jpg

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the picture looks like it has joycons that similar to the pro controller and switch lite in that it has d-pad and non-tactile

but changes in fuses worry me and this would be a shadow drop into the market

Techinicabor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the picture looks like it has joycons that similar to the pro controller and switch lite in that it has d-pad and non-tactile

but changes in fuses worry me and this would be a shadow drop into the market

I just meant the only hardware difference is that this system is development-fused, which technically means it has less fuses burned. The Production fuse is unburnt if it's a *DEV device.

Good catch. I just quickly scanned through (it was like 5am here) I wonder what "or Events" means exactly. Any idea if Nintendo's Kiosk (or Dev) Units in the past had different model numbers than retail units?

Looks like it has the same serial number prefix (XJW) as other Switch Lites as well:
View attachment 181145

Nintendo and others using Switch usually deploy development consoles at events and expos. You'll see the odd HOME button press on a live feed and up pops the menus or icons used by the development firmware.

Last edited by Techinicabor,
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You'll see the odd HOME button press on a live feed and up pops the menus or icons used by the development firmware
Now that you mention it, I have actually seen that before.

I was more wondering about whether or not the Kiosk units usually have a different model number, but I researched a bit after I asked you that and saw that it's not out of the ordinary for Kiosk units to have a different model number.

I am pretty convinced that you are correct about it being a Dev and/or Kiosk unit. However, at least one tech-blogging site appears to have a different opinion, and I am sure there will be several sites that follow suit once they get around to copying and pasting the first "journalist".

I am going to quote a post I made on another site with my arguments against this being a revision related to JoyCon Drift.
It's unlikely that Nintendo would file a new FCC application within days of this new JoyCon drift issue added to the class action.

If Nintendo knew about the problem long enough in advance to have an FCC application ready, I doubt they would've released the Switch Lite with the same shitty JoyCon assembly.

Another reason against this is I don't think they would need a new model identifier, nor would they need to submit a new FCC application for a JoyCon assembly.

The FCC is concerned about Radio emissions (WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC) and to further this point, Nintendo did not submit a new FCC application for the Battery upgrade in the regular Switch, or for the mid-model changes in the Bootrom to thwart hacking.

Both of these are much more substantial changes in complexity and functionality, yet Nintendo felt that Serial Numbers was more than enough to track these changes, without creating a whole new model identifier.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that you mention it, I have actually seen that before.

I was more wondering about whether or not the Kiosk units usually have a different model number, but I researched a bit after I asked you that and saw that it's not out of the ordinary for Kiosk units to have a different model number.

I am pretty convinced that you are correct about it being a Dev and/or Kiosk unit. However, at least one tech-blogging site appears to have a different opinion, and I am sure there will be several sites that follow suit once they get around to copying and pasting the first "journalist".

I am going to quote a post I made on another site with my arguments against this being a revision related to JoyCon Drift.

If your device contains a battery, any changes to the internals must be registered. The fcc decided this after all the problems with the galaxy notes exploding a few years back.

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now I want this black version :D
I think it's just the grey color that is already available.

If you look through the thread, it's discussed here that this model number "revision" is likely just a retail model with the only difference being which fuses are triggered within the Tegra chipset.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy