1. 1,892

Front-page
    IMG_20150610_150253-640x475.jpg

Steam is known for supporting just about any modern controller out there, whether it's the DualShock 4, or the Switch Pro Controller. A brand new beta Steam client update takes the existing controller support a little further, and adds in a feature that Xbox Elite Controller users will enjoy: paddle support. Now you can map the paddles on the back of the Elite to whatever input you'd like, through Steam's configuration settings. This update also brings support for using more than 4 Xbox gamepads at once, and the ability to remap the Xbox Series X controller's share button. If you're interested, you can grab the beta client update by opting-in on the Steam client.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (18 replies)

3. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Steam sometimes give me troubles with my Xbox 360 PC controller so don't expect this new one to wotk perfectly.

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    To bad you pictured the shitty V1.
    Even tho the V2 isn't that much better neither.

But neat!
    I might actually switch from 360 to Xbone when playing ETS2 online with @AtsuNii .

5. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Steam is not that great with support of controllers, you may want to install one of those programs that fake your controller being a second keyboard by remaping keys.

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    I've got some program that allows me to remap mouse and keyboard to a controller.
    Had to use it for Bioshock 2 haha.

raxadian likes this.
  7. Karones

Karones Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    I've used the 360 and now the xbone controller for years and never had an issue, you sure it's not a driver/windows problem?

8. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Nah, some Steam games just flat out have terrible controller implementation.

9. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Never had an issue. Tried a Switch Pro controller, PS4 controller, and a few different revisions of the One controller. I assume you have proof of your claim?

Last edited by Memoir, Jan 7, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  10. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    As someone with an Elite (V1), this is cool and something I could potentially make use of. I really enjoy the new Xbox X|S controller revision too though.

11. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    No mention of the Xbox 360 PC controller and that's the one I have problems with.

12. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I have all four unique switch pro controllers: xenoblade chronicles 2, super smash bros. ultimate, splatoon 2, and the regular one. I paired one of them with steam. it worked well, but I usually use my wii u pro controller with mayflash adapter. I've yet to find something that didn't work with that pairing. however, I have to unplug the adapter now when not in use though. some update from windows now makes it to where the laptop screen won't turn off if it's plugged in.

13. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Nocturnal

Poland
    If only the Xbox Elite Controller wasn't awful and kept breaking every few months, it would be the perfect controller. My now twice broken shoulder buttons (with very light use) say hi. Microsoft even found itself forced to extend their warranty given how much they break.

Memoir likes this.
  14. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    At least is not like the Xbox 360, more yhan half of those things had problems until the latest revision.

15. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Germany
    i have the exact opposite experience. ive been using steams controller support since the first beta (and always in steams beta branch) and i havent had any problems with it, none that didnt get fixed in a day or so anyway

16. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Nocturnal

Poland
    Problem is: it costs a lot. Like... a LOT. I never expected something that costs the price of 4-5 controllers to be frail like a snowflake. The slighest fall and it gets wrecked in an unfixable (at home) manner.

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Using an SN30 Pro + works fine for me, and it's recognized as an Xbox One X controller. Maybe it's your computer's drivers that suck.

Xzi and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  18. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Gbatemp’s official Scott pilgrim fanatic ™

United States
    been using a 360 controller on pc for 4 years now, never have I ever had a single issue

Xzi likes this.
  19. burial

burial GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What about the Power A version? Does Steam see that as an Elite controller?

20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jan 10, 2021

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Controllers, support, paddles