New Steam beta update adds support for the Xbox Elite Controller's paddles

IMG_20150610_150253-640x475.jpg

Steam is known for supporting just about any modern controller out there, whether it's the DualShock 4, or the Switch Pro Controller. A brand new beta Steam client update takes the existing controller support a little further, and adds in a feature that Xbox Elite Controller users will enjoy: paddle support. Now you can map the paddles on the back of the Elite to whatever input you'd like, through Steam's configuration settings. This update also brings support for using more than 4 Xbox gamepads at once, and the ability to remap the Xbox Series X controller's share button. If you're interested, you can grab the beta client update by opting-in on the Steam client.

Steam Input
  • Added a setting for extended Xbox controller support. The option can be enabled in the General Controller Setting section of your Steam settings and requires a driver installation and restarting your computer.
    Extended Xbox features include:
    • Support for more than 4 Xbox controllers
    • The ability to bind the Xbox Elite controller paddles in controller configurations
    • The ability to bind the Xbox Series X controller share button in controller configurations
    • Support for trigger rumble in games using Windows.Gaming.Input API
  • Added a drop down in the personalization menu for the PS5 controller player slot LED allowing the player to disable it, enable it only when multiple controllers are connected, or to enable it at all times. This setting defaults to enable the LED only when multiple controller are connected.
  • Added support for the Wooting Two keyboard
  • Non-gamepad input devices like the HOTAS and G15 are now available to games when Generic Gamepad Configuration Support is enabled in the Controller Settings.

:arrow: Source

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Steam sometimes give me troubles with my Xbox 360 PC controller so don't expect this new one to wotk perfectly.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To bad you pictured the shitty V1.
Even tho the V2 isn't that much better neither.

But neat!
I might actually switch from 360 to Xbone when playing ETS2 online with @AtsuNii .

Steam is not that great with support of controllers, you may want to install one of those programs that fake your controller being a second keyboard by remaping keys.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Steam is not that great with support of controllers, you may want to install one of those programs that fake your controller being a second keyboard by remaping keys.

I've got some program that allows me to remap mouse and keyboard to a controller.
Had to use it for Bioshock 2 haha.

Reactions: raxadian

Karones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I've used the 360 and now the xbone controller for years and never had an issue, you sure it's not a driver/windows problem?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Nah, some Steam games just flat out have terrible controller implementation.
Never had an issue. Tried a Switch Pro controller, PS4 controller, and a few different revisions of the One controller. I assume you have proof of your claim?

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As someone with an Elite (V1), this is cool and something I could potentially make use of. I really enjoy the new Xbox X|S controller revision too though.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Never had an issue. Tried a Switch Pro controller, PS4 controller, and a few different revisions of the One controller. I assume you have proof of your claim?

No mention of the Xbox 360 PC controller and that's the one I have problems with.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have all four unique switch pro controllers: xenoblade chronicles 2, super smash bros. ultimate, splatoon 2, and the regular one. I paired one of them with steam. it worked well, but I usually use my wii u pro controller with mayflash adapter. I've yet to find something that didn't work with that pairing. however, I have to unplug the adapter now when not in use though. some update from windows now makes it to where the laptop screen won't turn off if it's plugged in.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If only the Xbox Elite Controller wasn't awful and kept breaking every few months, it would be the perfect controller. My now twice broken shoulder buttons (with very light use) say hi. Microsoft even found itself forced to extend their warranty given how much they break.

Reactions: Kioku

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If only the Xbox Elite Controller wasn't awful and kept breaking every few months, it would be the perfect controller. My now twice broken shoulder buttons (with very light use) say hi. Microsoft even found itself forced to extend their warranty given how much they break.

At least is not like the Xbox 360, more yhan half of those things had problems until the latest revision.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i have the exact opposite experience. ive been using steams controller support since the first beta (and always in steams beta branch) and i havent had any problems with it, none that didnt get fixed in a day or so anyway

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
At least is not like the Xbox 360, more yhan half of those things had problems until the latest revision.
Problem is: it costs a lot. Like... a LOT. I never expected something that costs the price of 4-5 controllers to be frail like a snowflake. The slighest fall and it gets wrecked in an unfixable (at home) manner.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.