New Sony patent shows possible design of the PS5 controller

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 18, 2019.

Front-page
    RwUxzwc.png

While we're still a year away from the launch of the next generation of consoles, information is leaking out, as Sony prepares patents and copyrights in order to release the PlayStation 5 late in 2020. A new submission from Sony was discovered on the Japanese patent office's official website, with an attached document showing a working design for a new controller, and what could possibly be a PlayStation 5 gamepad. At first glance, the photos make the controller out to look nearly identical to the DualShock 4, but there are a few small improvements and differences that stand out on closer inspection. For one, the lightbar that was so prominently featured on the DS4 has been removed entirely, and instead of a USB-micro charge port, the presumed DualShock 5 will have USB-C charging. Meanwhile, the DS4 touchpad will also be returning. There appears to be a microphone at the bottom of the controller, along with a 3.5mm headphone jack. The analog sticks and triggers appear to be the same for the most part, with former being slightly smaller, and the latter being a touch flatter. As far as the documents go, Sony appears to be following their decades-long trend of making minor improvements, but keeping the controller looking relatively the same as it always has.

39bCxKJ.png xjANyXtnETRZCiZHSGCBpV-650-80.jpg Im6nsXC.png

:arrow: Source

Discussion (57 replies)
  1. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    I wonder why they decided to bring back the touchpad, the thing isn't really used at all whatsoever.

2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Thers still prob thousands of ps4 users out ther who hav never noticed a lightbar at the back of the pad until now :D

Milad and JavaScribe like this.
  3. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    There are some rumors that it is a touchscreen instead of a touchpad. I hope this isn't true.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo ToMClassic

pip Reviewer
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I personally like the DS4's design in general, so more of the same is fine with me. Still curious to see how those adaptive triggers work, those will be an interesting feature if they actually work and don't break after 5 minutes.

KingVamp, Owenge and shaunj66 like this.
  5. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    I dunno, I can see more appeal to a touch screen over a touch pad. Could be useful for quick inventory management or constantly displaying a map or the like. Obviously this wouldn't be as in your face as the giant screen of the Wii U gamepad, but in a smaller capacity, I could still see some merit and genuine use for such a thing. All the same, it would likely bump up the price of the controller considerably, so to that extent, I can see why many wouldn't want it. Now, if the PS5 were still completely compatible with PS4 controllers as well, then I don't think it'd be a big deal if you could optionally opt for such a touchscreen version instead for a higher cost.

Milad, KingVamp, weatMod and 6 others like this.
  6. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    The only 2 problems why I'd hate a touchscreen in a controller are the price and the durability. :/

Milad likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Why do they persist in that less than stellar dpad? Give me a nice one with microswitches.

Xzi, mightymuffy and Chary like this.
  8. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Further baffling because the Vita dpad was quite nice.

9. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    Well to the Wii U's credit, the Gamepad is surprising robust. Granted I've never thrown mine around or anything like that, and do treat it with care, but here we are nearly 6 years later and mine is still running strong without issue. I'd imagine that Sony too would be able to make a sturdy controller with a touch screen in it. All the same though, price would undeniably be an issue.

10. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Price wouldn't really be an issue considering touchscreen is old technology & produced in mass quantities. Durability probably wouldn't be much of an issue either because most games probably wouldn't take advantage of a touchscreen. Just like 99% of games do not take advantage of the touch pad.

11. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Might be to allow for BC ootb with the PS4.

Orangy57 and cyb0rg like this.
  12. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Biggest issue I see is a cut in battery life - screens eat batteries

13. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Also, I wouldn't really call those minor improvements. Minor improvement would be the ds3 not having a 3.5mm jack and the ds4 having one. Ds5 having haptic feedback, voice coil actuators, adaptive triggers etc is a major improvement.

FateForWindows and osaka35 like this.
  14. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I wonder if they'll improve the battery life on it..

Glyptofane and x65943 like this.
  15. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Supposedly it will have a bigger battery, but power consumption is probably higher.

16. ignare

ignare GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2019
    United States
    The headphone jack is by far my favorite part of the DS4

17. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    With (expected) backward compatibility at least to the PS4, they probably had to for that, and to make migrating not completely suck this time around.

18. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Absolutely nothing to suggest that this is for the PS5 it easily could be a new revision for the PS4 for all we know.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Nov 19, 2019
  19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Yeah, is like they forgot how the tablet thing on the Wii U made that console a failure.

If they want a touchscreen so bad they could just make an app for Android smartphones.