New Sony patent shows possible design of the PS5 controller

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 18, 2019.

1. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    Germany
    A “touchscreen” will just make the controller expensive. I hope they don’t do add it.
    The touchscreen on PS4 was useless, honestly:
    Just get rid of it!

looks exactly like the DUALSHOCK 4 controller by the way, I see only small changes..

Last edited by MeAndHax, Nov 19, 2019
    raxadian likes this.
  2. ElonStark

ElonStark Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2019
    United States
    If it ain't broke don't fix it?

I actually use the touchpad a lot on my DS4, but that's because I'm using it on a PC.

3. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Yeah, I never really felt comfortable with the stock PS4 controller. If Sony sticks with this, I'm not inclined to believe it will feel any better to my hands.

Memoir likes this.
  4. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Don't see what's the point of keeping the touchpad since there's barely any games that take advantage of it other than for game map purposes.

5. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    Maybe a black and white OLED screen to show different stats about the PS5 (Like temp, volume, and etc.

6. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    When will there be reprints of the Dualshock 3? That thing is great for retrogaming.

7. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    How many people prefer the placement of both thumbsticks of the Playstation controllers? Ever since the original Dualshock, they've both been below the D-pad and face buttons, and have never changed. Microsoft started with the left stick above the d-pad and the right below the face buttons, and haven't changed since. And Nintendo has had just about every possible configuration (gamecube was the start and humorously is exactly where the Switch pro controller has returned: left above, right below, Wii Classic controllers were both below like the dual shock controllers, and the Wii U were both above, and again, the Switch finally returned to what the Gamecube and Xbox controllers have been, left above, right below). It seems that the left above and right below is the preferred placement, so I'm curious why Sony never adapted that placement, are there a lot of you out there that actually prefer that placement? I see that the Stadia controller is the same placement as the PS controllers too, so maybe there is a real demand for such placement.

8. DarkSeele

DarkSeele Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2013
    Antarctica
    Still got that stupid touchpad on there, huh? :huh:

Last edited by DarkSeele, Nov 19, 2019
  9. cots

cots GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    If this is the new design for the PS5 controller then I'm fine with it. I rather not have a drastic change to a great controller design. I've always liked the PS controller designs over all others. They make the perfect emulator controller. I'm however found on the Saturn 6-pin pads for fighting games and have never liked the widely popular Xbox 360 design. It's just too bad PS4 controllers are only down to $45 each after how many years? These things will probably cost as much as faulty Joycons (but, I've yet to get drift from a PS controller).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I do. It's the main reason why I like the gamepads. I could never get used to using the 360 controllers. They just felt off. Having the thumbpads aligned just feels natural.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The PS5 is backwards compatible with the PS4. Not having it wouldn't make much sense.

10. James_

James_ *Meowstic noises*

Oct 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Meowstic Land
    Just watch Sony make the touchpad a touchscreen.

11. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    They should just remove what's not useful. It will save them money.

12. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    The DS4's biggest problem is it's battery life.
    I hope the new controller will do better.

brushguy and Hardline like this.
  13. scroeffie1984

scroeffie1984 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2019
    Netherlands
    ps5 wil be a ps4 pro real native 4k with some extra's :P

14. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    The ps5 will be equivalent to a pc tht costs around £1500 so sony wins

15. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Wouldn't it a bit late to file patents for the PS5 just now? I mean for sure the controllers now already have to be completly done design-wise to make all the forms and what not for production. To ensure no one is getting patents for something they want to make you would assume they file them very early on even before deciding if they really going with it. I think thats more a PS6 or PS5 revision controller if anything real at all. But I don't know anything about this production things so I might be wrong.

16. shaunj66

shaunj66 GBAtemp Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    DualShock 4 is the best controller I've used, besides the battery draining so fast. So this is great news.

17. AdenTheThird

AdenTheThird GBATemp's official Weedle fan-HAT-ic!

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    Y'know, ever since the PS1 controller I've never really liked it. Maybe the joysticks were too sensitive, or the triggers were too tight, or maybe it was the sensation that the controller was flimsy-I always felt like I could snap it in two in my hands. I do hope I like this one better!

18. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I happily use both placements, and have never had a favourite. Guess that makes me weird.

brushguy likes this.
  19. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Its prototype and it might change. Plenty time ahead of next year. I dont think it is going to be touch screen, I hope not.

20. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Well I actually thought back in the PS4 before release that the controller would be like a DS3 with a touch screen but instead was that crap touchpad...

I actually would love to have like a small oled display on the controller with the option to turn ON or OFF that could be used as a screen or just as touchpad...

I mean if the controller would show extra info in it it's cool while having the option to set it OFF would also remove the distraction, it would be the best of 2 worlds having the ability to use it or not...

In my opinion its actually a much better idea to put a touchscreen that could be used as just a touchpad or a screen than the stupid idea they had of putting a speaker+audio amplifier on the DS4 from PS4 lol...

And the bright leds they put on the controller are also ridiculous, my bed looked like a god damn blue pool, I had to put black tape on my DS4 controller and to makes things worse I wonder why Sony never added the option to turn them completely OFF, also it's ridiculous how much battery time just the leds eat from the dim setting to the brightest, it gives quite a lot more time for just the shitty leds, I just never tested was with the leds completely off to see how much time it would give, I have the Cronusmax device which allow me to use the DS4 and chose any color I want, any brightness setting with a lot of adjustments and completely turn the leds off, but sadly with the bluetooth adapter I bought it made so much input lag so I only used Cronusmax and the DS4 with the cable and using the leds OFF so I couldnt exactly test how many time it would give extra with the lights completely off... Anyway I heard CM improved a lot the input lag with bluetooth on latest firmwares, but sadly I can't find my asus bluetooth adapter to test :(...

EDIT: Oh and this time they better actually make a propper controller with at least 20 hours of battery life because the expensive DS4 crap controller is ridiculous, I have to charge it like twice each time I play while my Xone controller I have 2 cheap but nice Turnigy LSD AA's and it lasts and lasts for like a week and take me literally seconds to replace them with a fully charged ones and I have many of those cheap nice AA nimh batteries always fully charged...

Last edited by guily6669, Nov 20, 2019