Gaming New Router

The_Cylon_Surfer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some good advice. I'm in the market for a new router and wondered if anyone could recommend a good one?

Currently I use a unbranded piece of poo (suprised it still works at all) so I think its time to change. I use Virgin Media's broadband so the new router would have to be a cable router and not a ADSL one. My home network has a combination of wired and wireless devices so I would need a router to support both with at least 4 "wired" ports.

The routers primary use would be for online gaming, mainly PS3 based (so you could say that maximum PS3 compatibilty is a must) but I am also looking for a router which gives good wireless coverage for other users on my network.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I have no particular price limit in mind...

Cheers

Red Eye Cy

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
The linksys WRH54G?

It's also dd-wrt compatible if you care
smile.gif

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One thing I learned is that the problem with good wifi coverage is that the output rate is restricted by some health and safety laws. The stupid thing about is that there not a scientific reason why the output (stronger signal, higher coverage) should be set at the maximum all routers are set to out of the factory. Some routers however you can find custom firmwares for where you can change these kind of settings
smile.gif
(like the wrt54g series from linksys (wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series Ofcourse it all depends on where you place your router in the first place and if you have a big ass house with thick or thin walls etc. Can't advise you for a brand/model cause i have a modem-router in 1 from my ISP these days
tongue.gif

On the bottom of the wiki you can find some links to alternate firmwares, but be warned I found out that the accessibility for network noobs was kinda low
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...