CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Why are they announcing this? It's pretty stupid! They should just put the protection there without telling anyone
sleep.gif
'

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Might be quite cool for there to be some genuine cracking going on on the DS with release groups racing each other for cracks. Might mean more intros and the like as well which would be sweet.

But my prediction is either it wont materialise, or in spite of their claims about crafty protection unique to each game a fireware update or fits-all patcher will be along within a few weeks.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Ah, back to Flashcards we used to love and paid to much
biggrin.gif

1 rom each flash, making the card as much as original as the original,

You know, those GB/GBC/GBA kist, where you could write 1 rom to, put it in and play as original, you could even use AR with it and other add-on hardware.
(ok, there where multigame loaders for those cards
tongue.gif
)

Anyway, this is a move we all saw comming, the market got to mainstream, it is not a market anymore for the ones who really wanted such hardware, the most poor kid can buy now a kit and have money left to buy a dsi along his ds.

cheap=mainstream=kill for flashcards/backup devices.

Anyway, it's just gonna take longer now and, i can already see the huge amount of topics asking, when the rom will be patched, this game does not work, where is the patch for this etc... LOL, think it's wise to already make some new rulez regarding new topics over this
biggrin.gif

I will not let my sleep for it, really don't care that much, aslong as the leave homebrew out of it
smile.gif

beamquaker

Trophies
XP
Country
is this not 3737 plus roms to late . so it might take a little longer to get anal brain training ten or nintendogs mongrel edition . nintendo deserve everything they get its just karma getting back at nintendo for selling crap like festers quest and ducktales to me when i was ten for 40 gbp .

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CockroachMan said:
Why are they announcing this? It's pretty stupid! They should just put the protection there without telling anyone
sleep.gif
'

I lol-ed badly...

wont be surprised to see this method go down the drain when it comes out.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
the drop below the $65 line made them accessible to more children and the current generation of drag/drop usage makes them more appealing.
Try $10. I wouldn't wish it to be expensive, but just so that you'd have to be fairly knowledgeable to be able to use it, so that people can use it if they're willing to spend time on understanding how to use it, etc.

Not that I'm saying this methos will be effective.

vgshaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My big question is, how much will the protection effect other things. Will it simply detect patching, or will it have different type's of patching that shut it down in different ways. Because we could have to hack a ROM several times if we ever want to see a translation patch if they are doing something like that. I would not like to have to play games with English audio instead of Japanese because of this :/.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
DjoeN said:
You know, those GB/GBC/GBA kist, where you could write 1 rom to, put it in and play as original, you could even use AR with it and other add-on hardware.
(ok, there where multigame loaders for those cards
tongue.gif
)
Yeah, those things were great. Still have one of those for GBA, used it to play the Mother 3 translation.

On-topic, I don't quite get why they would announce this...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I scoffed at the lengthened shelf-life part.

Any worthwhile game made by any of the top 6 third parties will be hacked quickly by pirate demand, at worst that's 1 or 2 days without a working rom.
The method aims to act like the current means of protecting PC software, each PC game needs an individual crack, after all. (And we know how well that works.)

No, if you ask me, this will only cause the piracy scene to grow if the need to hack each and every rom becomes an issue.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I might not know much about how the patching works but if the anti-piracy is meant to detect the auto-patching could it be possible to prepatch games? Or would it not work that way.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What will this do this will just make it so flashcart updates are needed even more I can see many popular flashcarts coming out with updates that only fix one game and can be downloaded from wifi as it would only allow a small change to the code or addition to it (I don't know anything about flashcart updates just what I think will happen with in reason) And why announce this so far from when it's supposed to be competed and used this just gives flashcart companies more time to make there updates easier to make and easier to use.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
GBAtemp strikes again
tongue.gif
i am sure with this post developers, hackers, coders and people are already going to study to prevent this and find any absolute answer. ahh well eventually every rom producer gets a distribution of this sort of fix and piracy isn't stopped.
Developers and Hackers are as quick as each other so there won't be a end to Piracy
(unless they implant 3000 protections which would result in anything kills lol)

i can't wait to see the attempt fail

Ceesjah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
LOL i dont think this will be much trouble.. If you just take a look at history, anti-piracy measures have always been one big FAIL.. Guess people will have to wait a few days or maybe weeks for a solution to this one..

And yeah, i think its another big FAIL to announce this, instead of just doing it without telling.. Not that it would make that big of a difference xD

Ceesjah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
LOL i dont think this will be much trouble.. If you just take a look at history, anti-piracy measures have always been one big FAIL.. Guess people will have to wait a few days or maybe weeks for a solution to this one..

And yeah, i think its another big FAIL to announce this, instead of just doing it without telling.. Not that it would make that big of a difference xD

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I figured something like this would come around sooner or later. I can't say I blame Nintendo for wanting to do something like this.

That doesn't mean I sympathize with them, I'll still pirate their stuff.

TheDestroyer

GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Trying to stop piracy?
unsure.gif
I don't think so..

Let's put it in this analogy.. This may be a bit off topic but... Piracy is like a resistant bacteria.. and anti-piracy softwares are the antibiotics..

If they keep giving those resistant bacteria with antibiotics they would probably get more and more resistant to it..

So I suppose there's no way they could temporarily "stop" piracy.. but perhaps, they could slow them down..

And yea, i dont see the reason why do they have to announce it.. they giving hackers an idea.. i suppose..

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far, there's been one game that I know that can't be pirated to play: DJ Max Trilogy for the PC. You must have the USB Flash Drive that comes with the game in order for the game to launch. The Flash Drive also has things inside which are hard to crack at the moment. Nintendo can learn a thing or two from them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack