jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Costello: Thanks for replying, it could possibly be down to the type of SD card
tongue.gif
I am fully aware of the 3 speed settings, but this still doesn't change the performance of many games I've personally tried with it even on the latest firmware.

When you do review the microninja, please can you test out Ouendan and Animal Crossing? Those 2 in particular don't just suffer speed issues on the NinjaDS, but are buggy/crash in play negligent of media used. It'd be interesting to know if these issues would be resolved by then.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The battery test we are currently performing is:
- DS: fat, fully charged
- Game: Metroid Prime Hunters
- Part of the game: intro (looping)
- Brightness: normal
- Sound: maximum

With the exact same conditions, on the same DS, the DS-X lasted between 7:30 and 8 hours.
Let's see how the acekard performs
smile.gif

We'll run another test on a DSLite later.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

With the exact same conditions, on the same DS, the DS-X lasted between 7:30 and 8 hours.
smile.gif

Just out of curiosity, how long does the genuine cart last?

cheesyPOOF5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Costello: Thanks for replying, it could possibly be down to the type of SD card
tongue.gif
 I am fully aware of the 3 speed settings, but this still doesn't change the performance of many games I've personally tried with it even on the latest firmware.

When you do review the microninja, please can you test out Ouendan and Animal Crossing? Those 2 in particular don't just suffer speed issues on the NinjaDS, but are buggy/crash in play negligent of media used. It'd be interesting to know if these issues would be resolved by then.
Awesome!

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How's the save speed, I wonder if the AKFS helps with that at all? Take pokemon d/p for example, saving takes quite a while on my SC since it saves directly to the SD card, but on my EZ flash it's pretty much instantaneous, but doesn't save directly to the SD card. Is the save time on the AceKard noticeably quicker than with super card, etc? Otherwise there doesn't appear to be much of a point to using the proprietary system.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP

smile.gif

That's a good question, we will try it.
We should also try other linkers and report it in the slot-1 comparison.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
costello: my DSLink dosn't detect save types, instead it patches the save routine to use their chip (be it flash, eeprom or otherwise) and always creates a 520K file regardless of the save type (though, I haven't tried all that many games on it).

Just out of curiosity, something of an annoyance I have had with the DSLink which doesnt have a spring mechanism on the micro slot, is it possible to eject the SD out of the AK (considering the cart is a little bit more wedged in there, is it possible to activate the SD eject instead of the DS slot eject)? And could that be the purpose of the cut-away, to ensure the micro doesn't bind in that instance?

edit:/ as always, excellent review (for those of us who like to read more than just the final point value). Thanks for always taking the extra time to test thoroughly.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Cory, it doesn't really matter how the different linkers proceed (detect save type or not), what matters is that the user doesn't have to look for the save type himself.
In a context where we would have only few solutions on the market, it wouldn't really matter.
But in the current context where were have lots and lots of different solutions, you've got to be better than the others if you want to win this little war. And asking the user to find the save type is such a hassle (it isn't a hassle per se, but compared to what the others have to offer).
It doesn't matter how they allow the user not to have to enter the save type himself, but they've got to get rid of this problem anyway, somehow.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
However the DSLink detects the save types, it doesn't use a proprietary file system, etc... The comparison is easy.
If it did, it would make properly sized files wrather than backing up the entire 4Mb save chip for every game.
QUOTECory, it doesn't really matter how the different linkers proceed (detect save type or not), what matters is that the user doesn't have to look for the save type himself.
It does indeed matter. AK doesn't require you to tell it what save type for EVERY game, does it? Meaning to me at least, that there is some type of database or method that it uses, and that the software just doesn't know everything... yet.

In a context where one is using the initial release of essentially a chinese language software, such things should be expected. I personally don't care for the hassle of picking through all the options in M3's game manager (guessing which each one might mean) to find out the game won't even start using those particular options, and having to go through it all again (though compared to its initial release, it is much more intuitive a year or more later now that they made better "default" options into a db), perhaps 3 or 4 times before a game will work. Much simpler to pick a save type than those M3 options, as there are far less save types than there are M3 patcher options, and it doesnt require you to go back to the patcher in the PC.

edit:/ also have to also remember, the AK doesn't analyze the ROM before sending to examine things at all. So problems like saver detection and d/l-play are going to be in the hands of the kernel programmers. Have any of the chinese marketed carts had a perfect kernel on their initial release? The "perfect" product says 30+ releases means... no.

robbierotten

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

smile.gif

That's a good question, we will try it.
We should also try other linkers and report it in the slot-1 comparison.

I can tell you answer right now 'Hooya'... no where near 7.5-8 hours on a ds phat with full volume.... that ole ds-x is a wonder cart!!!!!!!!!!!!!! change it's score to ten quick

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Peresonally I think I expected too much from AceKard...this dissapoints me too much. I'll have to hold out on buying this...that new NinjaDS solution looks exciting, though...

and does the DS browser work?

edit2: im retarded lol

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
DS-X is today for the NDS as the X-ROM was for the GBA.
Both groundbreaking. Both revolutionary.
Go DS-X!!

wow a ds-x fanboy

ds-x is pointless, you spent over $120, have unupgradeable 512mb memory, have no gba support, and heck more or less the same compatibility as the top slot 2 solutions, what's the point of slot 1 solution if it required continuous nitpicky update for their roms just like slot 2 solution

i would rather get m3l/scl, it's cheaper, you use microSD which can be used elsewhere, and heck the same compatibility as DS-X

acekard on the other hand, definitely has a point, it boosts 100% compatiblity and future proof (untill proven otherwise), now that's an advantage over slot 2 solutions

fishsticks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought it was rather interesting how the Kingston 1GB MicroSD card is rated a 3, when the Sandisk Ultra II, which is faster, is rateda 7. Does that means that there will be no slowdown using the normal speed Kingston MicroSD? Can someone give it a whirl, considering the kingston card is about half the price of the sandisk ultra.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DS-X is, as AceKard, based on a brilliant concept but lives up poorly to it. 512M will be too little in the long run. And for those believing themselves to not be dependent on patches or firmware upgrading when using the DS-X, I seem to recall a firmware upgrade not long ago correcting some ROM (in)compatibility issues... (the DS-X still does patching if I remember correctly, it just does it on the fly).

I'd also say DS-X rides a fair amount on the hype of it being the "first slot one flash card" and has a price thereafter.

As for the AceKard... I'd really like to see someone testing Castlevania with a microSD card rated at 3 to see if there are slowdowns in the intro. I'm still interested if it'll be as cheap (~$50) as some have claimed.

CronoTrig

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DS-X is today for the NDS as the X-ROM was for the GBA.
Both groundbreaking. Both revolutionary.
Go DS-X!!

wow a ds-x fanboy

ds-x is pointless, you spent over $120, have unupgradeable 512mb memory, have no gba support, and heck more or less the same compatibility as the top slot 2 solutions, what's the point of slot 1 solution if it required continuous nitpicky update for their roms just like slot 2 solution

i would rather get m3l/scl, it's cheaper, you use microSD which can be used elsewhere, and heck the same compatibility as DS-X

acekard on the other hand, definitely has a point, it boosts 100% compatiblity and future proof (untill proven otherwise), now that's an advantage over slot 2 solutions

Wow, an AceKard fanboy. Do you realize how stupid you sound? AceKard has the same (few) problems DS-Xtreme has: slowdown in SOME games and non-working download play in SOME games. Not TRULY 100% compatible. DS-X is also future-proof (until proven otherwise); have you seen any new games not working on it? That's what I thought. Now please take your bashing elsewhere, maybe go bash your head on the wall or something.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought DSX has no slowdowns?

If it does, does that make G6 Lite the only cart with no slowdown at all and the closest thing to a real cart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!