new psu help

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by slitherin96, Jan 12, 2016.

1. slitherin96
    OP

slitherin96 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    i just bought a r9 290 and my psu can't really hold it. random system crashes occur every 2-3 hours. PC specs are FX8320@3.7ghz; 8gb(2x4) RAM; r9 290 sapphire tri-x; 2tb wd purple hdd. my power supply is na njoy 600w Agon series (works as described on their webpage, so don't tell me that its not from a reputable brand). i have a very limited budget and from what i understand i need around 700w for a psu.
    my budget is 150levs(~75euro) here are some things i've seen:
    Chieftec Super 700W PFC
    Sirtec EP-750S, 750W
    Floston FL700 Extra
    Chieftec Turbo 750W
    Zalman PSU 700W APFC ZM700-LX
    FORTRON HYPER 700
    FORTRON 700W FSP700 50ARN 88+
    Coolermaster B700 ver.2

the last two are right at the top of my budget and would bleed me dry for 3 months forward so that's how bad the situation is. any advice is accepted.

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The R9 290 Sapphire uses up to 360~W on load so you need to make sure whatever PSU you get is from a reputable brand that can reliably output that onto its 12V rail. Also the CPU/motherboard can consume up to around 200W.

Personally I would advise brands like Seasonic, Enermax, Corsair or Tagan. There are other good brands people would love to name, and many brands like Corsair are actually made from other names (like some Corsair PSUs are actually Seasonic PSUs). The recommended wattage for the 290 is 650W, so you're not wrong to look for 700W. Remember to look up reviews for any PSU you choose to get.

3. slitherin96
    OP

slitherin96 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    thanks but still the question stays i just saw that sirtec make basically everybody's psus so this'll be a fun night

4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'd highly recommend Corsair, if that's at all an option for you

5. slitherin96
    OP

slitherin96 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    i also thought about them, but they're way out of my budget, also here in bulgaria we pretty much have only the vs series which i read aren't that good

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

update: after asking around on other forums i found it'd be best to get the zalman one as it appears to be really good. as for the rest: sirtec is basically chieftec so they are both decent; the cooler master one is good as well, which doesn't justify its 30levs higher price; as for floston and fortron- apparently noone has heard of them, so if someone is brave enough to find a unit and try it out, they could post a review somewhere.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.