New PS3 Model, no PS2 BC

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Of course when Nintendo makes a console revision people think it's so fucking amazing. When Sony does one, they're just money hungry bastards.

It's greener, lighter, and possibly runs PS2 games. Quit your bitching.
Guild, when are you going to buy a PS3 already? Though I agree, you're right. Don't see why everyone's so upset. I'm pretty sure the Black Wii got better reception, and that was backup proof.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I hope the backwards compatibility, if it happens, is software based. Then we can all get it via an update. That would be really awesome, but Im not holding out much hope for it.

@Guild: GBAtemp Sony haters gona hate.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
I hope the backwards compatibility, if it happens, is software based. Then we can all get it via an update. That would be really awesome, but Im not holding out much hope for it.
That would be awesome. Then I could finally get rid of my slim PS2. I don't like that thing, I miss my Fat one.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Of course when Nintendo makes a console revision people think it's so fucking amazing. When Sony does one, they're just money hungry bastards.

Guild, when are you going to buy a PS3 already?

IDK. Between the Vita, various video games, Magic cards, and a gaming computer, I really don't know. If my funds for a gaming computer fall short by the time my income ends (until school starts up again), I'll just use it for a PS3 and some games. Sorry for the off topic.

But yeah, the black Wii was basically a coat of paint that was back-up proof and people are loving it more than this.

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

But why would they remove a feature and add it BACK ON AGAIN!? Not bitching its that it does not make sense!
And its reasonable to run it through software, so that people who already OWN a PS3, doesn't have to buy another console for this feature.
A STRONG AND WISE Marketing idea would've been to include a hardware AND software upgrade.
So consumers who do not own the console can get it and for the people that already own the PS3 should get it via update.
THIS is what sony should've done, that or they shouldn't have removed the feature in the first place.
If this doesn't change the way you see in sony (that they are money hungry bastards) then I don't know what will
closedeyes.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ron457x2 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

But why would they remove a feature and add it BACK ON AGAIN!? Not bitching its that it does not make sense!
They wanted it back so they added it back. Don't see what's so hard to understand.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ron457x2 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Think. Then you realise, that it does make sense. Sony lost many consumers in the last couple of month due to security issues and a PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility will please a lot of people so Sony can regain customers.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ron457x2 said:
And its reasonable to run it through software, so that people who already OWN a PS3, doesn't have to buy another console for this feature.
A STRONG AND WISE Marketing idea would've been to include a hardware AND software upgrade.
So consumers who do not own the console can get it and for the people that already own the PS3 should get it via update.
THIS is what sony should've done, that or they shouldn't have removed the feature in the firsr place.
If this doesn't change the way you see in sony (that they are money hungry bastards) then I don't know what will
closedeyes.gif

Because they wanted to make the Slim's cheaper than the backwards compatibility was from hardware, not software (last time I checked). Unless Sony has been making Autobot-brand PS3s, a software update isn't gonna magically make it PS2 compatible.

And seriously, who gives a fuck about backwards compatibility? I buy new consoles to play new games, I can play older games on older consoles. PS2s are all of like $60 or cheaper and the games are hardly above $10 a piece outside of some rarities. You want PS2 games? Buy a fucking PS2 and stop complaining. I don't remember people bitching this much about the DSi. Sure, it had a mediocre camera and some neat features, but at least the PS3 Slim was half the goddamn price.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Guild McCommunist said:
And seriously, who gives a fuck about backwards compatibility? I buy new consoles to play new games, I can play older games on older consoles. PS2s are all of like $60 or cheaper and the games are hardly above $10 a piece outside of some rarities. You want PS2 games? Buy a fucking PS2 and stop complaining. I don't remember people bitching this much about the DSi. Sure, it had a mediocre camera and some neat features, but at least the PS3 Slim was half the goddamn price.

I will never complain if a new console doesn't have real backwards compatibility. But I am happy if it does, because it's better than emulating and better than having 10 consoles in your rack (or fiddling with cables every time).

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Ron457x2 said:
THIS is what sony should've done, that or they shouldn't have removed the feature in the firsr place.
closedeyes.gif

Because they wanted to make the Slim's cheaper than the backwards compatibility was from hardware, not software (last time I checked). Unless Sony has been making Autobot-brand PS3s, a software update isn't gonna magically make it PS2 compatible.

Read my post on thet 2nd page[Before I replied you]
rolleyes.gif

Lol calm down, but all that aside,
sony just wants to make more money and possibly expanding the PS3 with a feature.
Sucks though, 350$ for a feature
EDIT: You must be a die-hard PS2 Fanatic if you really think this is worth it
tongue.gif

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ron457x2 said:
Why just not get a 60$ PS2, mod it, and have all the free games you want?
rolleyes.gif

Free McBoot Ftw. I know this is off-topic but free McBoot helped me relive my childhood memories
(sly cooper)

On-Topic: Wait a second.... didn't the first early models of the PS3, support PS2 backward compatibility?
unsure.gif

Then in around 07-08 it didn't support it anymore... why would sony add it back on again through hardware and not software?
Seems like they want more $$$ than usual, typical sony
hateps3.gif

They ditched BC because it increased production costs. They can bring it back as production costs have decreased.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ron457x2 said:
Read my post on the 1st page
rolleyes.gif

Lol calm down, but all that aside,
sony just wants to make more money and possibly expanding the PS3 with a feature.
Sucks though, 350$ for a feature

You don't have a post on the first page.

And saying "Yeah, Sony are money hungry!" isn't justifying your point. It's actually just making mine more credible.

Show me where it says $350. Don't say "OH I CONVERTED THE JAPANESE PRICE" because prices are always different from country to country.

God forbid Sony try to sell a system to, shocker, people who don't own one yet. If you're buying a PS3 you'll probably be wanting to get this one.

Johnny_Drama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Ron457x2 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Save money, power efficient.

THIS is what sony should've done,

Sony hasn't done shit yet, it's not even confirmed whether it's a software or hardware change.

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
Ron457x2 said:
rolleyes.gif

Free McBoot Ftw. I know this is off-topic but free McBoot helped me relive my childhood memories
(sly cooper)

On-Topic: Wait a second.... didn't the first early models of the PS3, support PS2 backward compatibility?
unsure.gif

Then in around 07-08 it didn't support it anymore... why would sony add it back on again through hardware and not software?
Seems like they want more $$$ than usual, typical sony
hateps3.gif

They ditched BC because it increased production costs. They can bring it back as production costs have decreased.
Thank you, this is what I wanted to know. Makes sense, but an update could of made up for that.
Ahh well, they brought it back... sorta...
EDIT: If its a software update AND Hardware update, they'll benefit.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ron457x2 said:
rolleyes.gif

(sly cooper)
Except this is legal and to play disks you'd need pay for disks, HDD, or an External HD

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope by "PS2 software" they won't make it only compatible with digitally purchased PS2 software. I might have heard incorrectly, but I thought the PS3's PS1 compatibility nowadays was purchase-based.

If this turns out not to be a red herring (which it probably isn't) I'll start saving up immediately.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
I hope by "PS2 software" they won't make it only compatible with digitally purchased PS2 software. I might have heard incorrectly, but I thought the PS3's PS1 compatibility nowadays was purchase-based.

I'm pretty sure all PS3s still have PS1 compatibility via discs. You can of course purchase them as well on the PSN Store.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...