diehardfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey,
first post, want to start off by saying GREAT COMMUNITY!!

I am a proud owner of the new DS Lite, this is my 2nd handheld gaming device (Sega Game Gear was 1st, i know, i know).
I am wondering, do i need to do any test, aka dead pixel test, etc.. to test out my DS Lite so that I am not left with a lemon, since I have time to exchange it.

so what tests do i need to do and how to do it?

thx

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Well just make sure you recharged your Lite fully after you bought it and try some games on it. Then ya adjust the brightness level to your needs (I usually prefer brightness level 2 and 3, usually 3 in the daytime, 2 at night with the lights off). Then just pop in a game and play, just keep looking carefully at each pixel and try a game that's very colorful to make sure you don't have any stuck/dead pixels. That's about all there is to it.

If you play a 3-D or fighting game or similar that requires diagonals, see how easy or hard they are to pull off. Some of the Lite's d-pads require you to press harder while some don't have this problem. If you do have trouble with this, just play for a few weeks or a month or so and see if the diagonals eventually break in. If not and you wanna replace your Lite for a new one, try and see if you can send it in to Nintendo for free to get it repaired/replaced (you can do this in the US but I don't know about Canada).

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I recommend for new Lite owners:

DS Lite Defective Test:
- Check for dead or stuck pixels with a black and then white screen. This can be done by playing the intro to a game and when the screens are black or white pull out the DS game. This WILL NOT harm the game.
- Check the bottom screen against the top for a yellowish tint. If either screen has the yellowish tint the screen is defective.
- Press the digital pad at all angles while in a game to make sure they have correct sensitivity at all angles. If they are too hard to push or don't make contact something is wrong. The digital pad is also known for being lose or moving which is a defect.
- Press on the touch screen in all four corners to make sure the screen has been mounted in place and will not move. If the screen clicks or moves its defective.
- Also comb over the DS Lite checking for defects in the plastic, buttons, clear coat, and screen.

I'm a perfectionist and I’ll bring mine back for anyone of those problems but it’s totally up to you. All of the above defects have no lasting effect other than being annoying as hell.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
it's just a little, i wouldn't notice it if i didn't have another DS to compare with at that moment.. my screen is about 0.5-1% more yellow than the other and it's still no difference in the games while playing (at least i can't see anything strange) ;D

falco123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is what I recommend for new Lite owners:

DS Lite Defective Test:
- Check for dead or stuck pixels with a black and then white screen. This can be done by playing the intro to a game and when the screens are black or white pull out the DS game. This WILL NOT harm the game.
- Check the bottom screen against the top for a yellowish tint. If either screen has the yellowish tint the screen is defective.
- Press the digital pad at all angles while in a game to make sure they have correct sensitivity at all angles. If they are too hard to push or don't make contact something is wrong. The digital pad is also known for being lose or moving which is a defect.
- Press on the touch screen in all four corners to make sure the screen has been mounted in place and will not move. If the screen clicks or moves its defective.
- Also comb over the DS Lite checking for defects in the plastic, buttons, clear coat, and screen.

I'm a perfectionist and I’ll bring mine back for anyone of those problems but it’s totally up to you. All of the above defects have no lasting effect other than being annoying as hell.

FifthE1ementÂ
yaynds.gif

Yikes, my touch screen clicks on the bottom two corners and is yellow (especially with brain age, of course), so you suppose if I call Nintendo, they'd replace it?

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The yellow tint is not a sign of defective screens. Nintendo will tell you that the yellow tint is actually due to the anti-scratch layer they put on.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
There are different touch screens that they use, some with a yellow tint, some with a slightly visible grid pattern.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ