New PC Time.

SkuiD87

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys,

Has anyone here thought about buying a new Intel based Mac Pro (they're uber powerful machines) and just running Vista off Boot Camp? I've tried this on a Macbook Pro and it seems to be running smoothly. I'm heavily considering buying a souped up Mac Pro....though I'm not sure how great it'd be for Gaming. Maybe the Mac hardware won't run as smooth on Windows?

What are your thoughts on this?

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I find two DVD drives convient. Yes, direct copying is faster this way, and also when self-restoring after a backup is much faster when you can read 2 disks at once (for me at least)

O.O Wii isos have to be burnt at low speeds? sht. I burned all mine at 16x.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys,

Has anyone here thought about buying a new Intel based Mac Pro (they're uber powerful machines) and just running Vista off Boot Camp? I've tried this on a Macbook Pro and it seems to be running smoothly. I'm heavily considering buying a souped up Mac Pro....though I'm not sure how great it'd be for Gaming. Maybe the Mac hardware won't run as smooth on Windows?

Give us some hardware specs and we'll tell you.

Linkiboy, if you're gonna go with a brand name PC, it might as well be Dell. Anything with HP on it will be bundled with crap, and the support you get might be good for 6 months, but after that they won't give a shit about you. Oh, and did I mention that many brand names such as HP use second-hand/refurbished parts?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dell uses refurbished parts too.

And I've had bad experiences with Dell(my laptop), my first computer was an HP and still works today.

And I'm reformatting the hard drive, doesn't matter what crap its bundled with.

thac0nfus3done

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO, Dump lightscribe, get just a regular dvd burner, drop down to 2 or 3 gigs of RAM, make sure you are getting the best RAM for the configuration. At the price range you are looking at with that CPU you are almost surely getting DDR-2, you need to get a mother board that supports PC-6400 DDR2800 MHz. (I think it's PC6400) Getting more RAM of lower specifications is kind of a waste IMO, unless you are doing hardcore video production. Just my 2 cents.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Dell uses refurbished parts too.

And I've had bad experiences with Dell(my laptop), my first computer was an HP and still works today.

And I'm reformatting the hard drive, doesn't matter what crap its bundled with.
If that's the case, then it probably comes down to the motherboard. Most of the other components might be decent, but brand name PCs almost always use cheapo motherboards, that are either less than ideal for overclocking, or lacking features, or lacking expansion slots, or only have 1x PCI-E instead of 16x, etc etc
Just make sure you know exactly what you're getting.

fischju_original

I used to be a jerk before i got banned
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.dpgdownloads.com
XP
Country
United States
$1936.00

X-Discovery Mid-Tower Case W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Silver Color)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
MSI P965 Neo-F P965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
2GB PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
Video Card 1:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express
Video Card 2:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express
Single Hard Drive (160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Power Supply: 1000 watt NXZT

Two 8800GTS, just drop the memory to 2GB and the monitor, it is sooo worth it

This is at cyberpowerpc btw

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using a MacBook with Xp and OsX even it runs games not as nice as my 7800 does but they work. I've also tried games on a macbook pro with radeon x1600 halo, call of duty 2 (native mac on OSX) they went really well, in windows mode AOE3 and counterstrike were fine.

I would wait for Leopard to be released! As I understand you can upgrade the graphics cards in the Mac Pro's. And the new eight core ones are gonna be soo fast....in OSX at least most windaz programs will ignore the other cores
rolleyes.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why was my post deleted? It was a joke, replying to part of a post linkiboy made a bit earlier.
Me is sad...

And yeah, you may want to consider a Mac+ Bootcamp. Extremely good computers, and OSX is awesome as well.

pikachucrackpipe

President
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

my thought is solaris or ubuntu is free is more stable
why pay for a unix based system when you can download it legit for free?

I find two DVD drives convient. Yes, direct copying is faster this way, and also when self-restoring after a backup is much faster when you can read 2 disks at once (for me at least)

O.O Wii isos have to be burnt at low speeds? sht. I burned all mine at 16x.

as i've stated 32142342342345 times, you can't direct copy DVDs!

---------
fischju won't listen to anyone because he knows everything so there isn't a point in commenting on his crappy configuration.
mad.gif

i just see the point of making posts on here asking for advise and then the logical advise you've been given by 2 other people you wont follow.

lol hows that for an updated post?

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
$1936.00

X-Discovery Mid-Tower Case W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Silver Color)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
MSI P965 Neo-F P965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0,    &7.1Audio
2GB PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
Video Card 1:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express
Video Card 2:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express
Single Hard Drive (160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Power Supply: 1000 watt NXZT

Two 8800GTS, just drop the memory to 2GB and the monitor, it is sooo worth it

This is at cyberpowerpc btw
That would make a pretty decent setup! Only thing I'd do different is buy 2 80GB drives instead of the 1 160GB drive and have them set in Raid 0.

There's nothing in the budget for a monitor though... I know you only want a 19" Linkiboy but personally I'd spend the extra $0-50 and get a 20" screen - they've come down a lot in price over the recent months and resolution is a lot higher at 1680x1050 vs 1400x900.

smile.gif

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OS X is very stable much more than windows. In my experience linux tends to be less stable. I personally use the gentoo distro, slightly harder to get up and going but once you get it there it's very good.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Although you may want to ignore Fischju's incessant advertising of CyberPowerPC (seriously, the first thousand times you recommended the site was enough Fisch) I agree with him on the 8800GTS front. If I was buying a new dream machine I'd get an 8800GTX, but an 8800GTS is a small amount of the cost for a large amount of the performance.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing concerning me right now is the reliabillity of CyberPower... Anyone besides fischju buy from them?

Oh and also I need a pretty big harddrive, since in addition to gaming I do a lot of movie editing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think