New PC Time.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Linkiboy, Apr 23, 2007.

Apr 23, 2007

New PC Time. by Linkiboy at 1:57 AM (5,016 Views / 0 Likes) 81 replies

1. Linkiboy
    OP

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    As some of you know, I'm moving to Florida. I'm also getting a PC.

My budget is 2000$, post your best premade systems and I will consider them. I cannot build my own.

So far, the best I found was... (1,847$)

2.4 Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    512MB ATI(recent)
    LightScribe CD/DVD and secondary DVDRW
    Media Card reader(important to me)
    and a 19 inch wide monitor.

2. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    configure a pc at cyberpower pc, you could get a PC that owns that for $2,000

3. Linkiboy
    OP

United States
  4. aj421

Member aj421 GBAtemp Regular

Puerto Rico
    change that ati card to an nvidia 8800 gts or 8600 gts i forgot those came out like 2 weeks ago.

5. cheesyPOOF5

Member cheesyPOOF5 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wow 2000, talk about an uber PC....
    Also ATI>Nvidia, they have better performance in games and their drivers are more compatible with vista (currently?). Since it's premade made it most likely will come with Vista so you're probably gonna want that compatibility.

6. fischju_original

United States
    Cyberpower PC was great for me, make sure to get an 8800GTS video card (second best card out, half as much cash as the best, and it's not much better)

$2014.00

X-Discovery Mid-Tower Case W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Silver Color)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T

MSI P965 Neo-F P965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio

NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply

4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express

ViewSonic Q9B 19" LCD Display Monitor

160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

LiteOn LH-20A1H 20X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology (Black Color)

18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

7. Zendrik

Member Zendrik GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, I would choose ibuypower.com. They are the best and cheapest IMO. Their site looks a lot like CyberPower so I dunno if they are related in any way. I would get a Core2Duo Intel 2.X dual core, with 1+ gb of RAM, and an 8X00 series Nvidia card(8600+ is recommended, anything lower is just an expensive 7X00 series). If you want a good sound card, a Sound Blaster X-Fi with 5.1 speakers. I personally have 7.1 but I definatly paid a premium and I don't think I can really tell a difference(although Call of Duty 2 was magnificent in 7.1 EAX). Other than that, I would suggest a S-ATA hard drive and a LightScribe 18x dvd burner(NewEgg.com has one for $30.88 regular price).

Hope this helps

8. friedchicken

Member friedchicken GBAtemp Regular

United States
    cant use 4gb of rams unless you're running 64bit os which can be a problem on some apps.

9. myclock

Member myclock GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    ooo the recent graphics card. that wouldnt happen to be a R600?

10. fischju_original

United States
    Well, that isn't out yet, and there havent been any benchmarks or pricing

4GB is useful, even though Windows Xp x86 can't use all of it, because that is enough to turn off the pagefile and force everything into ram

11. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Heck no, r600 haven't even been released yet. Probably a Radeon X1950 XTX

12. falcon64z8

Member falcon64z8 GBAtemp Fan

United States

Do not buy from ibuypower, look at their rating, they are pretty much like cyberpower. I personally would not purchase from this site because their ratings are horrible. They are a hit and miss with people, I suggest you look elsewhere from those places.

13. fischju_original

United States
    The 8800GTS is much more powerful than the X1950, and CyberpowerPC's ratings have gone up a lot in the recent months

14. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
  15. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Might as well get a P975 chipset over the P965 one. Also you may want something just a slightly bit beefier for power supply.
    If you can save money anywhere by using a monitor you already have or something, get a bigger hard drive or two (320GB have a good cost per GB ratio), and beef up your processor a bit.

And ditch the liteon and get a quality drive [​IMG]

16. fischju_original

United States
    It's actually slightly cheaper to order from one of these two places, and they burn your pc in so you wont get DOA parts, which is common when you build it.

And unless you have to have the very best, don't go for Alienware or Voodoo

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have been reading up again on stuff so I thought I would lend my opinion.
    With regard to hand building modern machines are pretty much round/red peg in round/red peg hole affairs and if you played with lego then you are more than sorted, if not speak to someone and get them to build it (a decent shop should not charge more than $50 to throw a machine together especially if you buy bits from them).

core2 e6600, a fine processor (my games rig has one in and I have used a few in some builds for others recently, if you know what you are doing or read a guide they overclock nicely as well 3GHz on stock fan is common).
    I believe it is either this week or next quad core is launched in earnest so waiting for the inevitable price drop is advised. Anything lower will not have as much cache so avoid.

4 gigs of RAM. First you have have useless OS support of 4 gigs unless you go 64bit as already mentioned (which then brings on a whole new world of delight messing with drivers), you can exist quite nicely with 2 gigs unless you are really really into science apps/CAD/video (games tend not to touch it on reasonable res: which is all you will get unless you spend another 1000). 800MHz is a nice entry point and try and pick one with 4,4,4,12 timings.

Video, I am not a fanboy but if I were it would be ATI. Alas they are not doing so well in the performance stakes right now so NVidia it is.
    I am tempted to say look at the 7900 series as they will be cheap (7950gt are coming down somewhat) and drivers are stable. Should you stick 2 in SLI performance is damn nice as well (mid range 8800 series in my opinion). 8800 gt's are pretty good (basically you have to look at the last three letters as well: GS, GT, GTX, GX2 are from low to high performance and price but look at performance charts and pay attention to other things like memory)

Mboard, you know what you want connections wise (6USB is a minimum), make sure it supports PCIe 16x as well.

Hard drive, this is one of the slowest parts on the machine so if performance is what you want then you need to look carefully. The high end stuff pretty much consists of WD raptors but in my opinion for the space you get they are somewhat overpriced. The 7200rpm drives are pretty much all the same and if you stick then in a RAID then chances are you will not notice it.

Card reader, I fail to see the problem with USB but that not my call. You can get readers that sit in drive bays and are quite nice to boot.

PSU, reviews will help pick a nice one.

CD drives, litescribe especially, are not really my thing (most of the time they are few reviews which one is best afterthought sort of things). Dual layer, dual format (+ and -) and a nice speed is good though. I will leave HD/BD to you, personally I would not buy one if it were the same price right now but that is just me.

18. Linkiboy
    OP

United States
  19. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    you dont need 4gb of ram on a 32bit system because the majority of all oses and board will only see 3.5gigs.
    why dont you build it yourself and save money?

20. fischju_original

United States
    It is slightly more expensive to build it yourself than to order from cyberpower or ibuypower, and they burn it in for you