Intimidator88

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So after i put together my last PC (with an expert watching lol) I've decide to sell it and add to my new PC building funds and i have a buyer lined up but id like to least have my another one built on paper before i let this one go.

So thats where you guys come in! My budget is alot more this time around ranging around $2000 to $2500. Heres a few uses and general ideas id perfer

Emulation
Gaming
Quite
Intel Based
Staying Cool (fans are perfered since i've never messed with water but if water is better id be open to the idea)
Large fast HDD but with Windows booting off an SDD for speedup
No Monitor,Keyboard,Mouse or Speakers needed
8 to 16 gigs of Ramm

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The big question is, what kind of performance do you want?
Also, do you plan on using intense emulators like Dolphin and PCSX2?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a budget like that, just go to newegg, go to each of the sections, and say "Sort by price - highest first".

3ojj43.jpg

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since OP has yet to respond I'll prepare a build with high performance but still being the best bang per buck

* Best bang per buck with high performance
--> Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 ($240 @ Newegg) [Counterpart of i7-4770]
--> Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ($135 @ Newegg)
--> Crucial Ballistix Sport 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 (2 x $67 @ Newegg)
--> HIS IceQ HD7870 ($200 @ Newegg) [Comes with Crysis 3 so it cuts down the price on GPU a bit]
--> Noctua NH-U12S ($70 @ Amazon) [Very quiet, and comes with 6 years warranty on the fan] [U14S is for extra $5 but it is much larger than U12S]
--> Corsair CX500-M ($65 @ Newegg) [Budget modular PSU]
--> Plextor M5S 256 GB ($190 @ Newegg) [A good brand, plenty space for OS + Apps and still have enough for even wear leveling]
--> Seagate Barracuda 1 TB ($70 @ Amazon) [Although WD Caviar Black is faster and go to choice for many PC builders, they are also loud]

Comes out $1104, all that's left are case, OS, and/or optical drive. If you want even lower spending you can go for used GPU, Ivy Bridge, and 128 GB SSD setup.

If you want to spend more (blow your budget), consider 3930K, even larger SSD, better PSU, etc.

Intimidator88

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As of right now i have this built

CPU - AMD 8150
GPU - Radeon HD 7950
Ram - 8 Gigs

Its an AMD build as you can see and when someone offered to buy it it sparked my interest in an Intel build to farther future proof it for a few years and just replacing the GPU/CPU as i see fit in the next few years.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As of right now i have this built

CPU - AMD 8150
GPU - Radeon HD 7950
Ram - 8 Gigs

Its an AMD build as you can see and when someone offered to buy it it sparked my interest in an Intel build to farther future proof it for a few years and just replacing the GPU/CPU as i see fit in the next few years.
Keep GPU, and what RAM is that?

You should be able to reuse case and PSU too. What are them?

NEVER Mind, you said there is a potential buyer for the entire rig.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Going from trumpets build, I would change a couple things.

SSD, get a 500GB version instead for higher performance and more space for games. This is one part that will stay with you through the next few upgrades so its worth investing in more side you have the budget.
Also, depending on the size/number of monitors, I would get a stronger graphics card like the 7970. If its just one 22" or smaller monitor, the 7870 is enough.

Edit: I don't see a case in his build?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? Plenty game benchmarks use HD7970. What are you talking about?

Since OP previously is using HD7950, I don't see the problem of HD7970.

Money coast

Games run fine in 30-150fps so all he would really need is a 7850 which you can get for under $200 I was saying that I don't know of a game that has hit 300fps

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Money coast

Games run fine in 30-150fps so all he would really need is a 7850 which you can get for under $200 I was saying that I don't know of a game that has hit 300fps
It really depends on how one is gaming. Take HD7850 (I'm using one right now) for example, it is perfectly fine for 1080p gaming as long as you don't turn AA on all the way. Once you do however, you'll quickly find that HD7850 is simply too slow for playable frame rate.

Back then you saying GTX Titan is for bragging right, not true. If you happen to use 120 Hz monitor (for either 3D gaming or just higher frame rate) or triple/quintuple monitors, you need it. Of course this'll set OP even further than defined budget.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really depends on how one is gaming. Take HD7850 (I'm using one right now) for example, it is perfectly fine for 1080p gaming as long as you don't turn AA on all the way. Once you do however, you'll quickly find that HD7850 is simply too slow for playable frame rate.

Back then you saying GTX Titan is for bragging right, not true. If you happen to use 120 Hz monitor (for either 3D gaming or just higher frame rate) or triple/quintuple monitors, you need it. Of course this'll set OP even further than defined budget.

Isn't that were SLI comes into place? You could SLI two 7850s for better performance? Though technically it would total $400 in the end.
The only thing I see newer vid cards useful for are eyefinity or nvidea surround sound. Personally I see no difference in high vs ultra settings but I guess that's just because I grew up on 16bit gaming.

Sure if you wanna go x3 monitor ultra everything go for higher end vid cards, but in the end arent all higher end vid cards about bragging rights? Like I see even Medium settings are just fine for Hd gaming since most games are rendered 720p from what I know. But hey its in the users budget so why not go all out.

Keep in mind if you plan on going high end to not cheap out on mobo and ram and grab yourself a good liquid/water cooler - I made the mistake on cheaping out parts and blew up my first build literally it smoked on me so be careful.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Isn't that were SLI comes into place? You could SLI two 7850s for better performance? Though technically it would total $400 in the end.
The only thing I see newer vid cards useful for are eyefinity or nvidea surround sound. Personally I see no difference in high vs ultra settings but I guess that's just because I grew up on 16bit gaming.

Sure if you wanna go x3 monitor ultra everything go for higher end vid cards, but in the end arent all higher end vid cards about bragging rights? Like I see even Medium settings are just fine for Hd gaming since most games are rendered 720p from what I know. But hey its in the users budget so why not go all out.

Keep in mind if you plan on going high end to not cheap out on mobo and ram and grab yourself a good liquid/water cooler - I made the mistake on cheaping out parts and blew up my first build literally it smoked on me so be careful.

First, 7850s cannot SLI. They CrossFire.
Second, if the intent is purely gaming, then multi-GPU setups make the experience worse with the introduction of microstuttering. For gaming, a single strong GPU beats multi-GPU in nearly all instances. The exception is, as mentioned, in 3D/multi-monitor gaming where resolutions stretch beyond the capabilities of single GPUs... and that tends to only apply to people with the budget for extreme gaming.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SLI for Nvidia, CF for AMD.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that since OP started with performance grade GPU such as HD7950, I'm assuming OP didn't game at less demanding situation. Single HD7970 is better than 2 x HD7850 (single GPU works on all game and no stuttering).

As for the motherboard, the one I picked, Z87-D3HP, is the top quality one around its price point. The only downside on this particular motherboard is PCIe x16/x4 configuration, not suitable of SLI/CF. RAM didn't matter that much anyway (RAM either works or doesn't work, and overclocking RAM yields least performance boost on Intel setup so most people don't do it).

Curious, what blew up on your previous build?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, 7850s cannot SLI. They CrossFire.
Second, if the intent is purely gaming, then multi-GPU setups make the experience worse with the introduction of microstuttering. For gaming, a single strong GPU beats multi-GPU in nearly all instances. The exception is, as mentioned, in 3D/multi-monitor gaming where resolutions stretch beyond the capabilities of single GPUs... and that tends to only apply to people with the budget for extreme gaming.

Well micro-stuttering is largely non-evident in Crossfire/SLI configurations of more than 2 cards.

So the clear logical choice here is for OP to buy 4 nVidia Titans and SLI them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.