New gaming console: Zeebo

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Veho, Nov 18, 2008.

Nov 18, 2008

New gaming console: Zeebo by Veho at 2:38 PM (1,480 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Veho
    OP

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    "Search" function says this hasn't been mentioned yet. Don't blame me if you've seen this before.

[​IMG]

"Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo may dominate the global market for video games, but they don't rule in every corner of the world. The extremely high cost of new video game consoles and games in Brazil has led to unusual market conditions in that emerging country – and a potential market for video game hardware makers. Due to high import taxes, new consoles like the Playstation 3 regularly fetch in excess of $1000 USD in Brazil. However, an intrepid Brazilian company called Tectoy hopes to capture a portion of the young, casual gaming market in Brazil with the launch of their Zeebo home console. This innovative piece of hardware presents the first credible challenge to the popularity of the other big three manufacturers, and lights the way toward other potential opportunities in markets south of the equator."

"Under the hood, the Zeebo is no slouch, especially considering that it is aimed at a younger, more casual audience. This is definitely not one of those cheap retro devices that come with pre-loaded games and plug directly into the TV. The Zeebo packs an ARM 11 main processor clocked at 400 MHz and a second ARM 9 Graphics chip clocked at 274 MHz. With this hardware, the Zeebo should be able to compete favorably with the Playstation 2 in terms of raw power.

Interestingly, the Zeebo does not use optical media of any kind. Instead, games are downloaded over a free 3G wireless connection and can be stored on 1 GB of internal flash memory inside the console. The machine also has an SD card port for game saves and other uses."

# Controller Interface: USB
    # Power Consumption: 15 W max.
    # Main CPU: ARM 11 @ 400 MHz
    # Graphics CPU: ARM 9 @ 274 MHz
    # 3D Graphics rendering speed: 1.6 million polygons / second
    # Audio: 8 channel MP3, ADPCM, MIDI
    # Resolution: 640x480 (480p)
    # Dimensions: 157 x 215.4 x 44 mm
    # Weight: 1.3kg
    # Noise Output: Less than 106 dBm.

Tectoy will offer a mixture of older licensed games and new intellectual properties for download over its online service. Through a licensing agreement with Western and Japanese publishers, the company will be able to offer older games for download at reasonable prices ($8-$10). Some of the games that will be available at launch include Need for Speed Carbon and the original PC game Quake. Tectoy also promises more casual fare such as generic sports titles and a Brain Training clone. With its competent graphics processor, the Zeebo could have a future as a retro gaming powerhouse, since it would be able to eat oldschool arcade platformers and fighting games for breakfast.

Source

Wikipedia article.

Thoughts: This seems like a potentially good homebrew platform. The specs aren't bad. The 3G is definitely a plus. Maybe it could be turned into a HTPC, or if they slap a Linux with an easy GUI on it it could be a whole PC for the less demanding crowd. Provided it's crackable.

2. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I've been discussing about this with some friends since last week.. The 3G idea is great, and the download only thing keeps it piracy safe. Not to me mention games are cheap, 10 and 20BRL, for comparison, a pirated PS2 game on the streets is usually 10BRL, a original PS2/Wii/360/PS3 retail game is between 150 - 250 BRL.

TecToy was SEGA's representative over here (I think it still is), like iQue is to Nintendo on China, during the Master System and Mega Drive times.. they released some official translations to SEGA games (Phantasy Star 2 for instance) and even some made some obscure ports that are exclusive to Brazil (a Master System port of Street Fighter 2 and a Mega Drive version of Duke Nukem 3D are the most famous ones).

The console will be released on China, Russia, India and other emerging countries, that's what they're aiming at.

3. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Interesting, some cool ideas there. The only concern I would have is lack of support with titles and such. Plus 1GB of internal memory isn't much, you'd probably get through a fair few SD cards.
    Still, the whole free connection thing is win win.

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    so, I guess this won't see much outside brazil?

anyway, is it cracked yet?

5. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Wow putting 3G on it is genius, people can still buy the games even without a net connection!

6. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    This looks interesting. The 3G is a good idea, but 1gb is a low storage space. Well hooray for more SD cards. To be a n00b, is it SDHC compatable?

7. Veho
    OP

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Offhand, I'd say it is.

8. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Wow, nothing but great ideas.
    I hope it does well.
    Would love to see it make it state side one day.

The gamepad is a little bit of a Wii Classic controller rip-off but thats cool.
    The D-pad looks like it sticks up a bit more than it should in the center though.
    Might just be the lighting, but beyond that it looks good.

I'll be watching this one.

9. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Nice to see more consoles. I hope this idea becomes successful so it can expand and add more game varieties in this world.

10. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Would be cool if it had a hard-drive/ better third-party support. 3G is genius. GENIUS.

11. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    This is cool, good for them. I really hope this console succeeds!

12. El Blacksheep

Member El Blacksheep GBAtemp Regular

United States
    neat idea. but only 1 GB for games?

13. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Looks neat and I lol'ed at the fact that it beat the Wii in terms of internal storage space. Will the Zeebo use 3G for online play as well (if it will have online play)?

Indeed, I hope they succeed.

*goes to search for YouTube clips of Zeebo in action*

14. Dark

Member Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Looks like PSP graphics [​IMG] Or a little better or a little wrost. The video looks really bad.(The camra made the video look horrible). Heres is something I saw someone wrote on youtube
    Warning: Spoilers inside!