New DS - Touch Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by cephalopoid, Apr 18, 2009.

Apr 18, 2009
  1. cephalopoid
    OP

Newcomer cephalopoid Member

United States
    Just got a new DS Lite, and I was wondering how easily the touch screen scratches. I'm 31, so I'm not rough with it. I was just wondering if I should get a touch screen protector, and if it helps prevent wear and tear.

Thanks!

2. jchen

Member jchen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well as long as the person using it takes care and cleans it often then theres no need. I had 2 dslites, 1 with and without. The one that didnt only had minimal marks after a couple years of use. But i would recommend getting a good screen protector.

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    The DS's touchscreen is pretty scratch resistant, but it CAN get scratched over time. I would put a protector on it just to be safe. It's better to scratch a protector and be able to change it than to scratch the touchscreen directly and be stuck with it that way.

When you buy protectors, they come with a top screen protector also. I would consider the top one as just optional as to whether you put it on the DS or not. How many times do you really touch the top screen anyway? Possibly, you could cut it down to fit the bottom screen as a replacement for if you ever scratch up the regular bottom screen protector. (the top screen protector is larger in size)

If you do buy some protectors, buy quality ones.....the Hori brand are considered the best. Depending on where you get them, they're about $5-$10.

4. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    I've gotten the (possible fake)Horis from DX for $1.45 and they're very good. I've only gotten a few light scratches after a month. And before that, my screen was scratched up even though I was careful. It's worth it to get a screen protector and not worry

5. themando

Newcomer themando Member

United States
    I've had my DS Lite since November (Black Friday deals ftw), and I haven't used any protectors until this past week, no scratches at all. So, it's not exactly an urgent matter unless you are rough with it, but I do recommend having protectors just in case. You really wouldn't want to make a mess of the touch screen, and then regret not having protectors. [​IMG]

6. xrM

Member xrM GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    When did you get the $1.45 screen protectors from DX? From the comments made, the newer batches seem pretty bad.

7. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    You mean the newer fake batches? Otherwise I don't feel safe from low-quality real Hori screen protectors.

8. juntok_abot

Member juntok_abot GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia
    i ordered the fake hori from DX
    just received it March'09
    the quality looks OK
    for best lifetime, always clean screen before playing

9. xanth

Member xanth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wish I had thought ahead and bought a screen protector for mine. Elite Beat Agents, Oendon, and Feel the Magic pretty much did mine in. [​IMG]

You don't need it for everything, but there are some games that are really rough on the touch screen. So better be safe than sorry.

10. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    In March. Maybe they mix up fake and real Hori orders [​IMG]
    But seriously, it was good quality, especially if it's 1/7th of the "legit" price.