New DS doesn't recognise R4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by do_ob, Nov 30, 2008.

Nov 30, 2008

New DS doesn't recognise R4 by do_ob at 5:33 PM (4,406 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. do_ob
    OP

Newcomer do_ob Member

United States
    Hey all.

First, a little background. I got a new R4 cos my old one broke (the spring bit no longer took/ejected SD cards properly - salvageable by the way?) and it worked fine etc etc. I checked and it seemed to be a real one (going on the guide from this site).

Anyway, a little while down the line, my old DS stopped recognising that a cart was in slot 1 (DS slot) and I had to switch it off and eject/insert the R4 for it to be recognised.

Well I got my DS changed today for a brand spanking new one... but now no efforts and no combination of blowing/ejecting/inserting will make it recognise that there is a cart in the DS.

Please respond with any suggestions, similar problems, or possibly even the solution to my dilemma. This is making me quite sad [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    1) How long ago did you bought your R4DS?
    2) What's the name of the Flashcard?

3. do_ob
    OP

Newcomer do_ob Member

United States
    I bought it around late july/early august. The name of the flash card (came WITH the R4.... as in it was inside the packaging but everything was in original packaging. So R4 was in its box but inside that box was the microSD card but the SD card was in its packaging as well. Man that was confusing wasn't it?)

What was I saying? oh yeah!

Kingston ®
    2GB
    MicroSD
    numbers and letters...
    some more numbers and letters JAPAN
    SDC/2GB 36 (funny symbol)

I really have to stress this though: the DS doesn't even recognise that there is the R4 in the DS... :S

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Is it just the R4 it doesn't recognise?

Are the contacts of the R4 dirty at all?

5. do_ob
    OP

Newcomer do_ob Member

United States
    Well I dunno if it recognises the SD [​IMG] cos... well I just don't. SD is recognised fine on my computer though. I'm in the process of copying everything to my HD then formatting and putting it back and seeing if that helps.

As for contacts... I'm not sure? I don't think they are...

6. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    i had something gay like that happen with my gay old Games 'n' Music. My old Phat wouldnt recognize any of their carts.

7. do_ob
    OP

Newcomer do_ob Member

United States
    Dang that sucks... :/

This one's a brand spanking new DS Lite.

Oh and the format thing didn't help a thing... which I expected cos it was being read fine on the PC...

More help needed!

8. Law

United Kingdom
    Since I posted my last message, have you cleaned the contacts of the R4? If you haven't, then try it.

If that doesn't work, I'd go to whoever sold you the the DS and tell them it won't read any of your old carts.

9. Arno

Member Arno GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll just take a completely uneducated guess on this and say that they put anti-flashcard measures into new lites. DON'T TAKE THIS AS FACT. I'm just postulating here.

10. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I doubt it. Most likely its the cheapness of the R4 that's doing it, get a DSTT (I hope you have $7) or something.

11. Law

United Kingdom
    People have had this issue on older DS' too. It's not a new problem.

12. do_ob
    OP

Newcomer do_ob Member

United States
    Haha yeah I might have to do that :/ It's proper missions to do that though... ugh. And yeah I cleaned them... but just for the sake of knowing... how are you meant to clean them? I took my T-shirt and kinda... rubbed it... :wtf:

As for DSnWii0wn's reply... Since reading up on the NEW DS and anti piracy measures, I had similar thoughts too... Something like that would need to be confirmed though.

13. lunacy123456

Newcomer lunacy123456 Member

United States
    It's a pretty common problem with R4, sometimes you need to carefully wipe the chip a bit and it will load.

14. do_ob
    OP

Newcomer do_ob Member

United States

Hmm... are there any special procedures here...? For wiping the R4 I mean

15. Law

United Kingdom
    Going back in time a bit here, but have to tried placing a folded piece of paper inbetween the DS and the R4?

I think I remember hearing about that a while ago, unsure as to whether or not it works.

16. do_ob
    OP

Newcomer do_ob Member

United States
    :wtf: Not quite sure what that would achieve... or are you saying it might be to do with the connectors not touching the DS ones properly?

I considered that possibility too... but so far I've done tests with my manually holding the R4 on 1 side or the other (if that makes sense) but doesn't seem to have helped at all....

[​IMG]

Gonna try looking for more details on that paper trick tomorrow... Going to sleep tonight hoping my DS and R4 will be alright again tomorrow [​IMG]

17. Retrorock

Newcomer Retrorock Member

United States
    BY not recognizing R4 do you mean when you on the DS it comes up the 'touch screen to proceed' thing or stuck at loading? If it is the 'touch screen to proceed' one then it is your cart problem, not your SD card. When that happens to me I just reinsert my cart till it works ^.^ Not very helpful is it?

18. fma

Newcomer fma Member

United States
    I just bought a new DS this past Wednesday from the Nintendo World Store and a new genuine R4 and have had no problems.

19. do_ob
    OP

Newcomer do_ob Member

United States
    Lol it's the former... it just says touch screen to proceed (I have it on autoload slot 1) and then I touch screen and ... yeah doesn't even say there's a cart in slot 1 [​IMG]

20. do_ob
    OP

Newcomer do_ob Member

United States
    WOO!! Problem solved!! The paper trick worked a charm! [​IMG] I just took a piece of printer paper, ripped off a bit, folded it in 2 and stuck it behind the contacts and bam! In it goes and away I go!!

Thanks to all who helped me out here! The paper trick should be made more widely known! =]