NULL

New DS confirmed

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by tinymonkeyt, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Tigerstar

Tigerstar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I could potentially see it being used for additional content - new levels and such. How about a music/rhythm game where you can download additional tracks to play? That would be nice.

2. fryguy

fryguy GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2006
    Any info on if the webbrowser will be faster than the one sold seperately?

3. Zerrix

Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 11, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Earth
    Guess the DS/DS lite era is over, right? :/

4. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    Any talk about firmware updates? I would assume that it will have some sort of ability to do so because of the DSiWare stuff, which would also be a deterrent to use of flash carts and firmware hacks.

5. heat6jones

heat6jones GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2007
    United States
    Rip off

6. Lelouch

Lelouch GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    United States
    Petersburg, AK
    I actually liked the gba more than the sp and grats on finding a DSL hah.

7. papyrus

papyrus GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2008
    Nipa Hut
    I just hope i can play music while playing my games and that's cool!!!

8. Torrunt

Torrunt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2008
    Western Australia
    I don't really like the top of the DSi, kinda plan like.
    [​IMG]

9. cutterjohn

cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2007
    United States
    No, not unless they put in a 400MHz ARM9 or so I'd hazard as even the PSP has some trouble with N64 emulation from what I've read.

There are just no hard technical specs ATM, so it's all just a guess, but I can't help but wonder from the battery run times at various backlight setting if maybe they didn't up the processor speed at least a little. It's either that or their new screens + backlight + extra junk take enough more power to drop the runtime, but you can't tell. We need some better data.

[EDIT]
    I'm still inclined to believe that they didn't up the processor power in the DSi eventhough they must've have done quite a bit of re-design work as I'm guessing from the "faster" browser that the extra RAM must be on the same bus as the rest of the 4MB of RAM in the original DS, which at the very least would've meant more address line traces. The GBA port probably went away to make room for the SD slot. AFAIK I'm not even sure sure that they left in the ARM7, they could've implemented an emulator based on the ARM9, and expect you to play ROM images from internal sotrage AND/OR SD card. (I'm not at all certain from the marketroid data if they implemented internal storage like on the Wii as in Virtual arcade, etc. stuff only works from there but CAN be backed up onto SD to make room for other stuff... Just have to wait for better data...)
    [/EDIT]

10. Toni Plutonij

Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2007
    Croatia
    Depths of Nuclear powerplant
    No, browser probably won't support FLASH, but nobody can't tel for sure until it's released and tried out..So, be patient....

11. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    DSinstant phail seems like it lost it's flavour on the camera part... the L and R buttons seem to be stronger but the hinge is not changed and that's a terrible thing
    Still even with these problems, it's still gonna sell well but maybe not as well as the DSL used to

12. Extreme Coder

Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 25, 2005
    Egypt
    Cairo, Egypt
    I really REALLY hope Nintendo just doesn't use the Opera DS browser unmodified. It wasn't any good at all :/ Hopefully with the SD slot, they could add the ability to cache, download files, but that's wishful thinking [​IMG]

I'm most probably not going to buy this, since unlike most of you guys, I have to save up for everything I buy(and I'm 15 [​IMG] ). And I'm not wasting my money I'm saving for a Wii, while I already have a great Ice Blue DS Lite.
    What could have made me buy this is if Nintendo added Phone functionality to it. I would have buyed in an instant, since I also was saving up for a new phone [​IMG] Oh well..

13. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2007
    Croatia
    I really do hope they improved Opera, and didn't just used the old one....but I highly doubt it..

Browsing (especially sites with pictures) was nearly impossible..

14. MG4M3R

MG4M3R GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2007
    Brazil
    Hmm...

The DSi remember me of the Game Boy Color.

Initially, the difference of GB for the GBC was just the colors, but with time many games began to be exclusive for him.

I believe that this will happen with the DSi, as it has more RAM, digital cameras, storage space and perhaps a greater processor. In a near future, several games will be for DSi only.

15. Noitora

Noitora ::

Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
    I think that the ram and the processor are totally the same.

16. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2007
    Croatia
    RAM must have been increased because it has implemented Internet browser....But from what I know, processor is just the same..

17. Opium

Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2002
    Australia
    The DSi has more ram. That's how it runs the inbuilt web browser I'd imagine. They also said the browser was faster, so maybe even more ram than the expansion pak? The processor would remain the same though I'd imagine.

But more ram doesn't necessarily mean games that will support it. The PSP Slim and Lite has double the ram the phat PSP has, but they both support the same games.

18. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Any chance the touch screen is multi-touch now?

19. Ferrariman

Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Dec 9, 2007
    Canada
    Canader.
    no

20. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Just asking. A multi-touch screen could replace the Guitar Hero grip accessory (to a point). The game would be fooled into thinking the grip is there, but you'd be playing on the screen. Maybe.

NULL