Hacking New Drive, Mo Problems

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, Yesterday I received a Toshiba Canvio HDD and I could use some help. When I have the whole drive set as FAT32 I'm able to see my videos via WiiMC but none of the loaders will read my games or even recognize the drive. This morning I tried dual partitioning the HDD into half FAT32 and half WBFS. Once again WiiMC was able to read the FAT side for videos but none of the loaders will pick up on the WBFS. I'm confused here. The drive is USB 3.0 but is obviously backwards compatible to 2.0. The device has one "in/out" cable that handles the USB and Power connection. I can only assume that the device is getting enough power, since WiiMC can read it. Any suggestions?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Did you make sure the correct partition is selected in the USB Loader settings? It won't detect games on every partition, you have to set which one to use manually when you have more than one (and in some cases it might default to SD even if you only have one partition)

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
make sure that you use MBR partitioning instead of GPT
(iirc WiiMC is one of the few Wii progs that read both, most are MBR only, none GPT only)

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAT32 is the most compatible format, if it's not reading that good luck getting it to read something else.

How big is the HDD? Maybe it's too big or something.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toshiba Canvio drives have historically had issues with USB loading. Make sure you've removed GPT protection. Then you should re-format as FAT32.

"Thank you!" and "Aw shit!" at the same time *giggle* I'm going to try your GPT tutorial (which is the thank you part)... AFTER I take everything from this 1Tb drive (about 400 gigs of data) and transfer it back to my Wife's drive (Shit! :P ) so that I can do the tutorial. #MoreWaiting :P

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toshiba Canvio drives have historically had issues with USB loading. Make sure you've removed GPT protection. Then you should re-format as FAT32.

BTW I finished trying the tutorial and still nothing. The drive is also not listed on the list of drives you provided. I guess I'm fucked :( Anybody need a 1TB drive for their PC in exchange for a same sized drive that has been proven to work on Wii?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the properties is the drive primary and active?

I fumbled around with some settings in USB Loader GX and I think I have everything working. Be back after the sun rises :P (going to sleep while my Wife's PC transfers everything back to the HDD) BTW thank you everyone for your advice. I'll give an update in this thread soon. Also my HDD type is ...

Toshiba Canvio 3.0 Plus 1TB (HDTC610XS3B1) someone feel free to add it to the list once I give my update in a few hours.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, here is my update, as promised. I got the HDD working but now I have to deal with the annoying situation of having to leave the HDD unplugged before USB Loader GX starts. Apparently USB Loader GX doesn't want to initialize the drive upon startup when the drive is in slot 0. Now I could probably stick it in in slot 1 and then have the loader default to not "finding" the drive which forces it to go to showing the NAND channels and then from the main menu I can force it to look for Wii games. I'm testing, installing a game "disc to usb". Either way, this drive is workable.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, don't waste your time, believe me , I also have a Toshiba Canvio 500GB usb 2.0/3.0 and a followed virtually every tutorial out there to make it work , included any tipe of partitioning with the esus partition manager, deactivated sleep mode etc. etc. etc.

I can get it half working, in a sense that like you said, it works with WiiMC and such, but not quite with the loaders.
In my case, when I use CFG or CFG GX I have to unplug it and replug it upon startup, and I found me a nice workaround to that.
Namely, instead of reaching the back of the Wii, and risking damaging the USB port by excessive use, i got myself a USB extension cable, one end to the rear of the Wii where it stays plugged in all the time, one end to the front of the TV, easy to reach and connect/disconnect from the HDD cable, this way, if anything ever gets damaged, that would be the extension alone.

Also you should know that Wiiflow work better with it ( try it ) because it stores all the information in a cache folder and it boots up normally just like WiiMC, listing all the games, every time.
However, when actually launching the games,the result is still random, I got like 50/50 chance of the game booting or failing, but Wiiflow can be set to return to the loader, so I found it more convenient to try to boot the game a couple of times instead of disconnecting the HDD.

So, only workarounds I'm afraid, you should really try to trade it with a different model proved to be working with the Wii, at the end of the day, you save yourself a lot of headache, not to mention multi boot games with different dols ( like Metroid Prime collection ) might still fail to load after the initial game choosing menu.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, don't waste your time, believe me , I also have a Toshiba Canvio 500GB usb 2.0/3.0 and a followed virtually every tutorial out there to make it work , included any tipe of partitioning with the esus partition manager, deactivated sleep mode etc. etc. etc.

I can get it half working, in a sense that like you said, it works with WiiMC and such, but not quite with the loaders.
In my case, when I use CFG or CFG GX I have to unplug it and replug it upon startup, and I found me a nice workaround to that.
Namely, instead of reaching the back of the Wii, and risking damaging the USB port by excessive use, i got myself a USB extension cable, one end to the rear of the Wii where it stays plugged in all the time, one end to the front of the TV, easy to reach and connect/disconnect from the HDD cable, this way, if anything ever gets damaged, that would be the extension alone.

Also you should know that Wiiflow work better with it ( try it ) because it stores all the information in a cache folder and it boots up normally just like WiiMC, listing all the games, every time.
However, when actually launching the games,the result is still random, I got like 50/50 chance of the game booting or failing, but Wiiflow can be set to return to the loader, so I found it more convenient to try to boot the game a couple of times instead of disconnecting the HDD.

So, only workarounds I'm afraid, you should really try to trade it with a different model proved to be working with the Wii, at the end of the day, you save yourself a lot of headache, not to mention multi boot games with different dols ( like Metroid Prime collection ) might still fail to load after the initial game choosing menu.

Trust me, I wish I could trade this thing off. I dont have anyone nearby that i can transfer my files too. Also, If only the USB Loader GX team could make a quick update with the option to not load the HDD at first startup, everything would be mostly peachy. Ive loaded two different games so far and they seem to work well. Hopefully I wont run into any more problems.

Kirsten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
Were you ever able to get this to work? I have a toshiba canvio with configurable usb loader on it and a bunch of games. Once it loads the configurable usb loader screen it freezes. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1