New Computer...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sailor, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Sailor
    OP

Sailor GBAtemp Fan

Oct 11, 2007
    United States
    New Jersey
    After trying SOO hard to get my dad to buy a new computer over last summer..he decides to buy one like 1 hour ago. Why? Because my sisters wanted to use it for a project that's due 1 MONTH from now...and I said no because I was busy [​IMG]

So of course, he asks me to find a good computer under $500 (preferably with a screen), and he'd buy it. Dunno whether it goes to me or my sisters, but I really hope it goes to me :\
    I use the computer WAY more..and this one only has 512mb ram, and 100GB HDD :'[ Anyway, that's not what this thread is about. I'm having trouble finding a good desktop for that price, the best one I found was a HP Dual Core, 2gb RAM with 500GB HDD. That's ok, but I haven't really heard SPECTACULAR things about a Dual Core processor.

So, I thought I'd come here [​IMG] You guys helped me before, so I'd like to ask for you help again please :]
    Any suggestions? Oh..and I MIGHT be looking into building a computer, because I heard that's pretty cheap (cheaper than buying brand names), but honestly..I don't trust myself building one because I wouldn't know what to do if it broke...and also, I have no idea how to build one. So thing of that as a 2nd resort..but if it's really a drastic price difference, I may just do it :\
    Though I'd feel kinda awkward without a warranty of some sort....

2. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Try these sites for questions of this nature.....they would be able to help you MUCH better:

www.driverheaven.net

www.rage3d.com (or .net)

Both of those sites have been a huge help to me when I first got into building PC's.

Hope that helps you.

3. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
  4. DarkAura

DarkAura Offline

Aug 20, 2007
    Canada
    Over there.
    Lol, at the same little mall where I got my R4 from they sell computers that are good for super low prices. Like what you want is like 275 bucks or something. They have one with 2 GB RAM and 200 GB HDD drive and a 19" monitor for 550 or something. Plus it's black and shexy. In Canada dollars though. [​IMG] Good computers at good prices are out there, just gotta find them. Try the little Asian malls, if they are any close to you.

5. User200

User200 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2007
    United States
    Hell
    buying a pc for $500 is kinda a waste imho. Then again you could go with an hp. there pretty good, and if and when you got some money you could put some extra ram and a video card.