New at soldering need tips

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for tips on how to pull off my first RGH successfully. Do I tin the point that I want to solder to first, let it cool off, and then solder the wire onto the tinned point? Anyone here that can provide great detail as to how to pull the solder off from your perspective would really be helping me out. I have read and watched plenty of guides. Nothing like getting an explanation from someone that has done it in the past.

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Flux is your friend, use leaded solder with a medium size tip (small enough not to knock off components, but still big enough to transfer heat effectively) and the iron at around 320-380. Tin the pad, tin the wire, add flux to the pad, hold the wire onto the pad then use your soldering iron to reflow the existing solder on the wire and pad, attaching them together. I'm sure others will chime in with their own advice, but my number one recommendation is to practice on some scrap boards first.

icantfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
look m8, i did it sucessfully 1st try and i'm ngl it was kinda scary, even removing the xclamp can damage the board, and i had already had some experience with trace repair and integrated circuit swap, if you dont have these skills dont even try it, and dont expose the pads to prolonged heat or they'll pop of the board

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flux is your friend, use leaded solder with a medium size tip (small enough not to knock off components, but still big enough to transfer heat effectively) and the iron at around 320-380. Tin the pad, tin the wire, add flux to the pad, hold the wire onto the pad then use your soldering iron to reflow the existing solder on the wire and pad, attaching them together. I'm sure others will chime in with their own advice, but my number one recommendation is to practice on some scrap boards first.
This is probably one of the best explanations I have seen. You are an asset to GBATemp.

Reactions: Jokey_Carrot

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Literally this.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Tech Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is the best advice so far. I'd do the same and also look up some good tutorials along the way.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for tips on how to pull off my first RGH successfully. Do I tin the point that I want to solder to first, let it cool off, and then solder the wire onto the tinned point? Anyone here that can provide great detail as to how to pull the solder off from your perspective would really be helping me out. I have read and watched plenty of guides. Nothing like getting an explanation from someone that has done it in the past.
X-Clamp removal tool is a godsend

I would take @Hayato213 advice and practice on a kit or a dead pcb. Then when you feel confident give it a shot. With RGH you need to know what motherboard you have as some installs vary.

Here's some pics of my Corona 4gb install:

Last edited by Donnie-Burger,
  • Love

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need when a 40 something year old radio can teach you more then such a kit.
At almost no cost ; )

Real men do with with a small philips head 8^)

At least that is how I learn to solder, I solder components onto a pcb board. Did built one of these while in school.

1675880645275.png

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Tech Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Any experience using pico flasher? Part I am not understanding is how you reuse the flasher. Do you desolder the wires every time you want to use it on a new xbox?
Nand-X
Pico flasher
jrp flasher
xflasher

Wire it up and read nand, you can leave wires as is for the next install - what changes is 16mb/4gb read n write.

What motherboard do you have?

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nand-X
Pico flasher
jrp flasher
xflasher

Wire it up and read nand, you can leave wires as is for the next install - what changes is 16mb/4gb read n write.

What motherboard do you have?
I bought a trinity, but once I get a successful install I will probably pick up a Star Wars 360 slim. Leave wires on the pico, but I have to desolder the wires on the 360 right? I don't have solder sucker. What process is involved in desoldering wires?

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Switching my home routing/firewall solution from pfsense to OPNsense. Boy how I hate networking...