New ad network - centralize discussions here

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
We have switched to a new ad network just recently. We're still working out the kinks, please bear with us until we're done :)

Known issues, which will be addressed by our supplier as soon as possible:
- bottom adverts on mobile are too big
- <please post in this thread if you are getting other issues>

On most ads you will also see a "report ad" button, please click it to report it, obviously. There's no need to report it again on the forums since we'll only tell you to use that report button.

Also, please keep in mind that these ads arent there just for the fun of it. We need revenue to keep servers going, to allow some staff to get (small) payments to keep the site alive, and ... competitions. A big one's coming up real soon, if you've been following the Switch forums you know what I'm talking about. ;)

• Please contact our advertising representatives at Playwire for ad rates, packages and general advertising information.
  • All display advertising on our site is managed by Playwire. If you would like to advertise please visit www.playwire.com or email [email protected].

Last edited by Costello,

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
regarding the first problem ( @JellyPerson )
- bottom adverts on mobile are too big
>> We have told our supplier that we're unhappy with that unit size, we're waiting to hear from them. However, last I checked, those ads actually collapse after a few seconds or when you scroll, is that correct? so they are annoying for a couple of seconds

And:
- in-review ads are too big
>> Our supplier is working on that and expecting to have a solution by next week.

D

Deleted User

Can I ask what your stance is on auto-playing ads? I'm getting a video ad on the forum list now, but it's the kind that plays back instantly, which could eat up my mobile data (I've seen it on mobile as well).
Problem is, there's no report button on this one, so I can't really do anything myself.

upload_2018-9-6_10-14-36.png

How to disable affiliate videos

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Can I ask what your stance is on auto-playing ads? I'm getting a video ad on the forum list now, but it's the kind that plays back instantly, which could eat up my mobile data (I've seen it on mobile as well).
Problem is, there's no report button on this one, so I can't really do anything myself.

View attachment 142381
Thanks for bringing that up.
We are actually going to add a setting in the user preferences which will simply disable videos altogether.
I have already made a request to our ad network, but I doubt they will be able to offer this level of customization themselves, so we'll need to take matters into our own hands.

Also please note that these videos are actual gaming related content produced by our affiliate - they are legitimate content produced for us. You should watch one or two and you'll see what I'm talking about. The ads themselves are actually shown inbetween videos.

EDIT: you can now find the setting here ( @Voxel )

upload_2018-9-6_17-50-24.png

Last edited by Costello,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Video ads? Seriously? I'm glad I use add block.
I mean it's fine you use ad block and all but you just come across as an ass using video ads as an excuse when the post above you literally details a new option to disable them.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mean it's fine you use ad block and all but you just come across as an ass using video ads as an excuse when the post above you literally details a new option to disable them.
Because using video ads by default when probably half the people browsing the forums have limited internet data plans is great.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

No I started blocking ads a while ago when the site started increasing the intrusiveness of them and swithed to dogy providers who had a lax attitude towards the content and trickery.

And I think @Song of storms sums it up pretty perfectly; that option is only there for registered users. It still leaves an impression on potential new users or lurkers.

D

Deleted User

Yeah, no. I don't care if you can disable them, autoplay videos are not okay on any level.
I agree completely, while I'm lucky to have unlimited data, a lot of areas still have limited internet plans with a very low cap.

I understand ads are needed on some level as life isnt free, but you only replaced the last set of dodgy videos that would alert android users in their notifications that they where playing with an even more dodgy version that starts muted so most aren't aware they are using data until they scroll past it

It's just going to drive more viewers away in the long run with auto playing videos. This is just like what news sites like CNET do when embedding irrelevant auto playing content on the article your reading

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
We understand the concerns about video ads, they are well noted.
Right now this is simply a test to see whether they are useful or not: if they are, then you will see noticeable consequences on the site (in terms of editorial content increase/improve, spendings for competitions, etc.)
If they are not useful (which is likely) we will simply remove them.
At the moment there is a 95% chance that we won't be keeping them beyond this week, so ... be a little patient and see for yourself.

D

Deleted User

We understand the concerns about video ads, they are well noted.
Right now this is simply a test to see whether they are useful or not: if they are, then you will see noticeable consequences on the site (in terms of editorial content increase/improve, spendings for competitions, etc.)
If they are not useful (which is likely) we will simply remove them.
At the moment there is a 95% chance that we won't be keeping them beyond this week, so ... be a little patient and see for yourself.
If you're worried about funding, you could always add a paid role to the site, that gives users a special color and access to special sections. Could always give them extra perks like double xp for the leveling system

I believe there's a xenforo addon for it, as we use it on se7ensins
EDIT:
In a live stream..forgot to mention that bit lol

I know about the patreon but if You can get it set up so that members dont leave the site to join it that would help I think

Last edited by ,

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
If you're worried about funding, you could always add a paid role to the site, that gives users a special color and access to special sections. Could always give them extra perks like double xp for the leveling system

haha.. what?
https://www.patreon.com/gbatemp

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I mean, Patreon exists lol. Double XP for patrons was actually discussed briefly but was deemed a poor choice since it's just make the XP system pay to win.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Patreon?
[Edit] ninja'd

Reactions: Deleted User

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In a live stream..forgot to mention that bit lol

I know about the patreon but if You can get it set up so that members dont leave the site to join it that would help I think
Realistically, anything more than Patreon currently is risks fragmenting the userbase, and it isn't really worth the extra income. This is of course my opinion as a humble reporter, I don't know the site's income and expenses lol

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny, for some reason, as someone who uses AdBlock, this doesn't bothered me. Sound isn't automatically on and it doesn't annoyingly follow you down and up the page. Guess it helps that it is gaming related.

I get the data issue, so maybe the video ads can just not show up on the mobile version of that site. What I don't agree with is the outright demonization of videos ads that you can opt-out from.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
What I don't agree with is the outright demonization of videos ads that you can opt-out from.

Video ads were actually invented by Satan so it's reasonable enough to demonize them.

Being able to turn them off is a terrible argument; the only 6 people who know that you can turn them off are those reading this thread; and it doesn't apply to non resistered users. Video ads make websites look cheap and scammy. If I land on a site with a video add from a search result or a link from another site then I close it straight away. If more people did that then the internet would be a much nicer place.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was about to make a post in my profile asking when was the video thing introduced. I find it a very great idea, but it shouldn't be auto-playing, specially because in my case, it never automatically played sound, and therefore could very easily go undetected and end up by spending data plans easily. But i don't think it should be removed for sure whatsoever, just limited to be more "optional" and modular.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water