New ad network - centralize discussions here

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Costello, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Here's a new redirect and I think this one may be trying to mine as it made my phone slow sown down to a crawl..

Attached Files:

2. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    I'm getting tired of this crap. I can no longer lay in bed and browse GBAtemp on my iPad because this annoying COX communication user SCAM popup keeps hijacking my browser. There is no way to close it or get rid of it without deleting all web data from settings. it takes less than 5 minutes on this site, for it to pop up again. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited by urherenow, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Sasori

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    If your browser allows it try disabling JavaScript

4. Ginger OfOZ

Ginger OfOZ Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2016
    United States
    Utah
    Sorry, I'm getting a similar WalMart one.
    View attachment 150896
    Link

5. urherenow

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    That breaks functionality on too many sites, including this one. polls, multi-quote, you name it.

6. urherenow

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    Yea, sorry about the double-post, but like I said, disabling JavaScript breaks functionality. It’s the only way I can post from my iPad though. After a lot of googling, I’ve found that the ads themselves that are used by gbatemp have been hijacked with JavaScript. https://pgiftsit.icu Is a major offender. A webmaster here needs to study the code for this site and eliminate anything from the .icu domain. It will come back though with a different domain name ‍♂️

Attached Files:

7. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Addict

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Yes. Quite the angelic ad network, clearly.

Until the next round...

Not that you should have to install separate software just to browse a website which uses a shoddy add network provider, I tend to use Adblock Broswer on Android which gets around the issue. I don't know if it's available on iOS but it's worth checking out.

8. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I'm not quite sure what your problem is but if you're only going to keep posting useless criticism in this thread you are just wasting everybody's time. You are obviously intelligent enough to realize that we are trying to find the right balance between ad revenue VS visitor annoyance. We do our best to report anything that comes up. Please stay away from this thread unless you have actual ads to report, this is the last warning I'll give you.

To everybody else - I have reported the bad ads again. They will be gone soon, just like last time.

Subtle Demise and DarthDub like this.
  9. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Ok, on mobile, it's literally sending me to inescapable scam reward sites
    Screenshot_20181129-163630.
    I can't leave this site and I just have to open a new tab when it happens

10. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Y'all fix those redirecting ads yet? I've gotten them at least 6 times in November

11. Pleng
    This message by Pleng has been removed from public view by Costello, Dec 2, 2018, Reason: I warned you but you didn’t listen.
    Dec 2, 2018
  12. Sasori

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Yes and no, its still an ongoing battle but it's not nearly as bad as it once was

13. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    I don't really mind as long as they're actively trying to progress on getting rid of them. It's a minor inconvenience.

14. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Website is completely unusable on mobile. I suspect that gbatemp are indeed allowing these redirect pop ups because they profit from it. So yea, either stop the ads or stop asking for donations, it's that simple. It's bad enough that we have to deal with ads on the main website. I would not be surprised at all if gbatemp was selling user information. Such as ip address, location, etc. Ironic that I can visit 200+ web sites per day and only get these redirect ads on gbatemp. I am all for someone making a new website and taking all of gbatemps traffic and revenue away from them, since they clearly have no respect for the users.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

False, it's just as bad, this has been going on for months now. Visits gbatemp on mobile, in less than 2 minutes gets redirected, goes back to gbatemp, redirected again within 2 minutes, repeat repeat repeat. It's the same old shit over and over again. Do not sit there, defending gbatemp, because I will prove over and over again that you are in fact a liar.

Attached Files:

Pleng likes this.
  15. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    I appreciate your concern but let me promise you we are not selling user data. Let me put that concern to rest.

Fact of the matter is, some users (mostly those connecting from American IPs from what we can gather) are experiencing ads that are disallowed by our ad provider and with every report we receive we take action to get these resolved.

We are not purposely placing them to profit from them. Please do not spread misinformation.

Thank you for the report

16. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Yet you have shown zero proof to back that up. Facts are you should have already switched ad providers. It's not acceptable, not in the least. You are profiting from us, the users, the viewers, and the developers. Gbatemp does not really contribute to anything here, no one comes here to read the articles posted by gbatemp moderators, articles that can be found else where. We come here because of developers and other users. You are profiting from us, we are not profiting from you, we are the customers, customers are always right. Quit treating customers like shit & fix the problem, it's that simple. Before the day is done & over with, I will be launching a website to rival gbatemp.

17. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    I have worked on GBAtemp for the better part of 15 years without seeing a single penny, in fact I actually think it cost me money in the long run. So I find your post a bit disappointing to be honest. I think we do provide a very good service here and ask for very little in return. Running a website of this size is no easy task.

As for the bad ads, as I've stated we're working on resolving it.

Good luck with your website.

18. smileyhead
    This message by smileyhead has been removed from public view by x65943, Dec 7, 2018, Reason: please stop with the popcorn talk.
    Dec 7, 2018
  19. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Please don't demean the effort of the mag staff. It spits on the efforts of Thug, Chary, and everybody else who gives half a damn about getting quality content accessible to the users of this site.

20. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I honestly think you know nothing about GBAtemp.
    I would suggest you take a look at Wikitemp, once you've read the history about the site and do some google-fu, you'll see how much GBAtemp has influenced various hacking scenes over the years.
    In recent years, GBAtemp has expanded to cover everyday gaming as well.
    Without the blood, sweat and tears of the magstaff, we wouldn't be here today let alone be online for well over a decade.

Good luck on your endeavor to create your own site rivaling GBAtemp, you'll need it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  21. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I'm really sorry you feel that way... if you read the entire thread you will see that it's a constant battle, we keep switching ad networks and yet the problem remains. So believe me we have tried that, it didn't work. We have chosen to try and fight these bad ads, most of the times it works, but right now there is still major annoyance for a minority of people (specifically a subset of people in some US states). The alternative is to stop ads altogether but as you're perfectly aware, it isn't sustainable. We have expenses which need to be covered.
    We currently offer a subscription under the form of a Patreon, that allows to browse the site ad-free. Right now the subscription for ad-free browsing starts at $5 per month. But we could consider lowering it if it becomes a necessity. A $1/m subscription that would allow to browse the site ad-free. I don't know if that's something acceptable. To me, the best way is still to fight the bad ads - it has been proven to work, but they just come back after a while.

PLEASE REMEMBER
    if you get any bad ads please keep the link and a screenshot, and post it all here, or email it all to me at costello@gbatemp.net

This sucks but it has been proven to work before. A while back after we submitted a bunch of reports, we didn't get a bad ad for a good 2 months. What sucks is that eventually they came back.

Last edited by Costello, Dec 8, 2018
    Quantumcat and Subtle Demise like this.
  22. Sasori

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Ads are currently causing the site to jump around and auto scroll on mobile, making it very difficult to read and reply to threads