New 8BitDo adapter will allow for GameCube controllers to connect to the Switch wirelessly

3-gbros-family.original.jpg

If you're still holding onto your retro GameCube controllers from the past, or you wound up purchasing Nintendo's special wired GameCube controller for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, you might be interested in what manufacturer 8BitDo has up their sleeves. Their new Gbros adapter will let players connect their GameCube controllers to it, and therefore the Nintendo Switch, allowing them to play as if it were wireless. It also has the bonus functionality of PC support through Bluetooth. If you fancy the Nintendo Wii's Classic Controllers, the adapter offers a port for those, and any Wii-related controllers to plug into as well. Each full charge of the Gbros will give about 30 hours of play time, making it appealing to those who wish to use a GameCube controller, but lack a Wavebird. The dongle also sports home and screenshot buttons, for quick access for those who are playing in tabletop mode. The 8BitDo Gbros will go on sale on December 7, the same day Super Smash Bros. Ultimate launches for the Nintendo Switch.

:arrow: Source: Amazon

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameCube controller was passable at best. Why would anyone use them today, beside imprinting effect?
Imagine you have played smash with these things for 16 years - everything else feels wrong

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameCube controller was passable at best. Why would anyone use them today, beside imprinting effect?

The Gamecube controller is lacking and in need of an update, however I think it does a few things better than any controller ever has. It's form factor has always been my favorite most comfortable controllers even before or after. I also really applaud what they did with the ABXY layout and design.

Lemon_

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Even though I prefer wired peripherals, I would Ⲟ Ⲉ to see an updated Wavebird with rumble, USB Type-C and whatnot.

Mcall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only 20$.... I wish I would of got one of these instead of the official Nintendo adapter.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The only thing the Gamecube controller lacks to be perfect is a second Z trigger (ZR, ZL) and to increase the size of both the D-Pad and C-Stick to be like a proper WiiU D-Pad and Analog stick size for the C-Stick.

Reactions: Minox and Zukov

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I prefer wired peripherals, I would Ⲟ Ⲉ to see an updated Wavebird with rumble, USB Type-C and whatnot.
While not an official Nintendo product, the PowerA gamecube controller is close to that, though likely for cost reasons it uses AA batteries instead of a rechargeable one.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For the same reason that everyone now buys fucking RGB RAM even if they don't have a transparent side in their case. Or a mechanical keyboard. Or a mouse that's more than $100. People think that they can just buy skills and companies love that way of thinking.

I bought bigger pads for my Switch because I couldn't stand how small the Joycons' dpads were. Literally the whole box was full of "PRO GAMING" phrases or quotes with promises of "UP TO 10X PRECISION MAD SKILLZ". Bitch I just wanted something big enough for my adult thumb.

Gamecube controllers are the holy grail of Super Smash Bros competitive play, even though it was proven in more than one occasion that the best controls would be from something similar to an arcade machine's controller rather than a gamepad. Not to mention that you need "broken" Gamecube controllers to play Smash Bros Melee competitively "right", thanks to legal game exploits.

I'm going to kick everyone's ass with joycons OR a regular Pro controller. And if I lose, it wasn't because I wasn't holding the right controller, but because I suck.

Dogson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Anyone know if that means you can play this table top with a GC controller? Would love to pick it up if that's the case.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

hasn't the thing been lauded as pretty much the most ergonomic controller ever designed?

sure, the dpad was kind of a joke and it wasn't made for first person shooters with the way the c-stick operated. but it was still an amazing controller.

and the button layout is so much more comfortable for smash than the standard button placement on any other controller.

anyways, I'll definitely consider buying either this adapter, or a powera wireless one
https://www.powera.com/products/wireless-controller-for-nintendo-switch-gamecube-style-purple/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I find the GC controller to be perfect except for that missing second z button.

the above mentioned controller actually does come with such an additional z button.
it's supposed to be compatible with all switch games and I really wonder how it'd hold up in mario odysee.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's awesome that GameCube controllers get support but it be nice if this allowed me to use my WiiU gamepad with my Nintendo Switch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: