New 8BitDo adapter will allow for GameCube controllers to connect to the Switch wirelessly

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 7, 2018.

Front-page
    3-gbros-family.original.jpg

If you're still holding onto your retro GameCube controllers from the past, or you wound up purchasing Nintendo's special wired GameCube controller for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, you might be interested in what manufacturer 8BitDo has up their sleeves. Their new Gbros adapter will let players connect their GameCube controllers to it, and therefore the Nintendo Switch, allowing them to play as if it were wireless. It also has the bonus functionality of PC support through Bluetooth. If you fancy the Nintendo Wii's Classic Controllers, the adapter offers a port for those, and any Wii-related controllers to plug into as well. Each full charge of the Gbros will give about 30 hours of play time, making it appealing to those who wish to use a GameCube controller, but lack a Wavebird. The dongle also sports home and screenshot buttons, for quick access for those who are playing in tabletop mode. The 8BitDo Gbros will go on sale on December 7, the same day Super Smash Bros. Ultimate launches for the Nintendo Switch.

:arrow: Source: Amazon

Discussion (55 replies)
  1. Briyoda

Briyoda GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2016
    United States
    Awesome!

2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    GameCube controller was passable at best. Why would anyone use them today, beside imprinting effect?

chartube12 likes this.
  3. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Imagine you have played smash with these things for 16 years - everything else feels wrong

4. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    They come at the right time!

5. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    The Gamecube controller is lacking and in need of an update, however I think it does a few things better than any controller ever has. It's form factor has always been my favorite most comfortable controllers even before or after. I also really applaud what they did with the ABXY layout and design.

weatMod, Minox and SirBeethoven like this.
  6. Lemon_

Lemon_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2015
    Argentina
    Even though I prefer wired peripherals, I would Ⲟ Ⲉ to see an updated Wavebird with rumble, USB Type-C and whatnot.

7. Mcall

Mcall Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2018
    United States
    It's only 20$.... I wish I would of got one of these instead of the official Nintendo adapter.

8. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    Wow, I could finally use my gamecube controller again!

9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Or nintendo can just bring back the wave bird. :ninja:

Madridi likes this.
  10. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    The only thing the Gamecube controller lacks to be perfect is a second Z trigger (ZR, ZL) and to increase the size of both the D-Pad and C-Stick to be like a proper WiiU D-Pad and Analog stick size for the C-Stick.

Minox and Zukov like this.
  11. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    While not an official Nintendo product, the PowerA gamecube controller is close to that, though likely for cost reasons it uses AA batteries instead of a rechargeable one.

12. Briyoda

Briyoda GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2016
    United States
    I find the GC controller to be perfect except for that missing second z button.

13. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    Really nice :)
    Tho I think I will stick with my Wavebird for now, but it's a nice alternative for those who don't have one

14. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    For the same reason that everyone now buys fucking RGB RAM even if they don't have a transparent side in their case. Or a mechanical keyboard. Or a mouse that's more than $100. People think that they can just buy skills and companies love that way of thinking.

I bought bigger pads for my Switch because I couldn't stand how small the Joycons' dpads were. Literally the whole box was full of "PRO GAMING" phrases or quotes with promises of "UP TO 10X PRECISION MAD SKILLZ". Bitch I just wanted something big enough for my adult thumb.

Gamecube controllers are the holy grail of Super Smash Bros competitive play, even though it was proven in more than one occasion that the best controls would be from something similar to an arcade machine's controller rather than a gamepad. Not to mention that you need "broken" Gamecube controllers to play Smash Bros Melee competitively "right", thanks to legal game exploits.

I'm going to kick everyone's ass with joycons OR a regular Pro controller. And if I lose, it wasn't because I wasn't holding the right controller, but because I suck.

15. Spadezilla

Spadezilla Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2013
    United States
    community: "hey nintendo we want to buy ______"

nintendo: too bad

community: "fine we'll buy it from someone else"

someone else: thanks 4 the millions of dollarz

classic nintendo

DaFixer and TheNerdWIzard like this.
  16. Dogson

Dogson Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    Sweden
    Anyone know if that means you can play this table top with a GC controller? Would love to pick it up if that's the case.

17. Briyoda

Briyoda GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2016
    United States
    There's a pic of it on a table if you go to the amazon link.

Dogson likes this.
  18. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    hasn't the thing been lauded as pretty much the most ergonomic controller ever designed?

sure, the dpad was kind of a joke and it wasn't made for first person shooters with the way the c-stick operated. but it was still an amazing controller.

and the button layout is so much more comfortable for smash than the standard button placement on any other controller.

anyways, I'll definitely consider buying either this adapter, or a powera wireless one
    https://www.powera.com/products/wireless-controller-for-nintendo-switch-gamecube-style-purple/

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

the above mentioned controller actually does come with such an additional z button.
    it's supposed to be compatible with all switch games and I really wonder how it'd hold up in mario odysee.

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Nov 7, 2018
    Spadezilla and Shadowfied like this.
  19. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    It's awesome that GameCube controllers get support but it be nice if this allowed me to use my WiiU gamepad with my Nintendo Switch