New 8BitDo adapter will allow for GameCube controllers to connect to the Switch wirelessly

3-gbros-family.original.jpg

If you're still holding onto your retro GameCube controllers from the past, or you wound up purchasing Nintendo's special wired GameCube controller for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, you might be interested in what manufacturer 8BitDo has up their sleeves. Their new Gbros adapter will let players connect their GameCube controllers to it, and therefore the Nintendo Switch, allowing them to play as if it were wireless. It also has the bonus functionality of PC support through Bluetooth. If you fancy the Nintendo Wii's Classic Controllers, the adapter offers a port for those, and any Wii-related controllers to plug into as well. Each full charge of the Gbros will give about 30 hours of play time, making it appealing to those who wish to use a GameCube controller, but lack a Wavebird. The dongle also sports home and screenshot buttons, for quick access for those who are playing in tabletop mode. The 8BitDo Gbros will go on sale on December 7, the same day Super Smash Bros. Ultimate launches for the Nintendo Switch.

:arrow: Source: Amazon

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations for missing the point entirely. It must've not been easy, considering how well-put the point was.
i didn't miss the point you mentioned a bunch of stuff that was stupid, pointless or just dated and nostalgic and lumped them in with mechanical keyboards which are factually better.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Now this is an actual good product, you can plug not only the gamecube controllers but also the "wii pro" connector type ones and it also works with generic bluetooth.
It will be a cheap alternative to use classic controllers on the PI, Windows among other systems that use BT.

Davidchao23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was already considering getting an 8BitDo controller, but this intrigues me. The only problem is that I don't have any Gamecube controllers, so I either have to rely on buying one of those Gamecube controllers coming out, buying this and a regular Gamecube controller, or just stick with the PowerA controllers I have for my Smash fixings.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you play with a o3DS or an N3DS to play Smash? I only use my 2DS to play Smash on Wii U if all other controllers are taken, or when I'm too lazy to put in new batteries for my Wiimote
My o2DS and only my o2DS. That's the only controller I will ever play on for competitive Smash, because I have mastered my technique on it.

Reactions: Davidchao23

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's awesome that GameCube controllers get support but it be nice if this allowed me to use my WiiU gamepad with my Nintendo Switch

It'd be nice if it let you use wired Gamecube controllers with WiiU AND Switch. That's why I bought the official Nintendo adapter ... works on both WiiU and Switch. I have a couple wavebirds, so no big deal. But I also have wired GC controllers and this would be perfect with them if it worked on both recent consoles.

CorpseFlower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doesn't 8BitDo have problem with input lag with their wireless controllers. I suggest a pass until someone tests it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The Gamecube controller is lacking and in need of an update, however I think it does a few things better than any controller ever has. It's form factor has always been my favorite most comfortable controllers even before or after. I also really applaud what they did with the ABXY layout and design.
Your favorite things are my biggest gripes about the controller. It's not comfy to hold, my large hands cramp up on it for long sessions, the D-pad is pathetically small like a GBA D-pad, the ABXY area is a complete disaster, and I hate how the analog triggers slide before I can feel the click I expect. Oh, and since they're busy fucking everything up, how about they put the Z trigger in the dumbest place possible while they're at it. The Pro Controller for the Switch is the best wired AND wireless controller they've made to date. Solid D-pad, good ABXY layout, ergonomic for large hands, and good triggers.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your favorite things are my biggest gripes about the controller. It's not comfy to hold, my large hands cramp up on it for long sessions, the D-pad is pathetically small like a GBA D-pad, the ABXY area is a complete disaster, and I hate how the analog triggers slide before I can feel the click I expect. Oh, and since they're busy fucking everything up, how about they put the Z trigger in the dumbest place possible while they're at it. The Pro Controller for the Switch is the best wired AND wireless controller they've made to date. Solid D-pad, good ABXY layout, ergonomic for large hands, and good triggers.

The issue with Nintendo is that they are too close minded and focus on Asia.. Their N64 joystick and their Gamecube joystick were "OK" if you had very small hands... (like an Asian). So for Most occidentals they were not very confortable...
Their switch pro is just a clones the layout and size of a 360 controller, a controller made by occidental people meant for occidental hand size.. Even the Duke while big was more confortable than a n64 or gamecube pad.

Hand size of the players matter a lot while making a controller, even with Arcade... Take a look at the occidental style arcade stick and then take a look at an Asia arcade stick... Asian ones use that small ball they have less resistance and they do take less abuse..
But when the average Asian male is 5,6" then you don't need to make a huge stick that can take a lot of abuse.
Is not the same a 6" guy raging because he lost at KOF 98 than a 5,6" raging....

Last edited by WildDog,
Reactions: Jayro

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This sounds interesting for when I get a two player or more game. As it is I enjoy the Switch more on portable mode.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Why wireless if the controllers have wires? I mean you can use them in portable mode like that, but still, doesn't seem a pretty solution. I rather quite honestly connect them to the dock and have one less battery to worry about.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
interesting but you are probably better off just getting the cheap $16 wired adapter from Amazon and the regular 8 bit do adapter

this one only has on GC port no multitap
plus it says it can be used with a wavebird but that it will add more lag , since i have a wavebird and since this only has one port i would use this with the wavebird most of the time and since the wavebird is already wireless it adds no benefit to this thing being bluetooth

second it costs more and has less compatibility ,the other adapter is compatible with switch ,WII U ,PC and Android , this one only works with switch and PC as i understand

other pros to this , it looks cool AF and you could use it with the switch without the dock not sure why you would want to do that though

also i wonder what the green and red buttons are for , i see the switch/active x switch and the bluetooth pairing button but what are the green star and red checkered buttons for?

Lunar_Magika

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't feel like this would be useful for emulation at some points (SNES and NDS, in particular) but for NES, GBA, N64 and GC/Wii it would work well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free