New 8BitDo adapter will allow for GameCube controllers to connect to the Switch wirelessly

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Are there any options for the Nintendo 64 controller? I wanna' play old school Mario party on the switch

SonicMC likes this.
  2. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    have you never used a mechanical keyboard before? %1000 worth it, everything else you mentioned is just opinion but i'm pretty sure mechanical keyboards being better is a fact there is a huge difference and they last forever.

thorasgar likes this.
  3. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    Congratulations for missing the point entirely. It must've not been easy, considering how well-put the point was.

4. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Damn, $30 CAD and it only supports one controller? Not worth it when you have 2+ controllers.

Last edited by sonicrings, Nov 7, 2018
  5. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Last edited by supermist, Nov 7, 2018
    Godofcheese likes this.
  6. bodefuceta

bodefuceta GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2018
    Brazil
    I want this. I really like my wii classic controller but haven't used it in ages. If it works wired through the dock's USB, it'd be perfect.

7. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    With the recessed GameCube port, would a wavebird even fit? Maybe a cable extension would be needed. Mario kart with the GameCube controller is super dope.

8. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Because I want to

9. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    How would that even work? I mean, I guess a HDMi/Bluetooth USB thing could work, just plug in the HDMI Cable to the dock, then the USB cable to the dock, Pair the gamepad to it, and then it could work as a pro-controller while mirroring what's on the TV.
    NOTE: this is just an idea I had off the top of my head.

SSG Vegeta likes this.
  10. SonicMC

SonicMC GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    I'm guessing Mario party 1-3 via an emulator? Super Mario Party only supports joycons.

Only way to do it is via yucky multiple adapters... And even then may not work as I don't have said adapters to test.
    Example 1: N64 to Wii remote adapter https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/n64_to_wiimote/index.php
    Then Wii remote to mayflash ns adapter.

2nd example
    N64 to GameCube adapter. https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA7...eL2rtrtod_vlZVIH0Nf4gg6wOplR4U8RoCf4QQAvD_BwE

Then official GC to Switch smash adapter.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe works awesome with the official Switch to GC adapter :)

FYI for people who already have a classic controller and a Wii remote and the mayflash magic ns adapter. Update the firmware and the controller works through the Wii remote! Using one to play through some switch platformers :)

lordelan and slaphappygamer like this.
  11. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Best controller ever, minus the lack of a second shoulder button. None the less, very exciting!

Shadowfied likes this.
  12. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    This is among the best 8bitdo has ever done.
    Saw that on their Instagram account yesterday and kinda freaked out.
    Not only are Wavebirds hard to find, they are also kind of ugly.
    But I love the original controllers and Nintendo's re-release when Sm4sh for Wii U came out.
    Although I already have the USB adapter (Mayhem) which offers 4 ports and works great on games like MK8D, I'm so indescribably lazy that I don't wanna get up from the couch to connect all that sh*t to the dock. That's why I'm often ending up using the Pro Controller for MK8D although I'd prefer the GC one.
    With this I'll reach for the box under my table, pull this sweet thing out and I'm ready to go. Pretty cool, 8bitdo!

(I'd rather go with native 8bitdo GameCube bluetooth controllers though if they'd exist.)

13. ciaomao

ciaomao Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    This could be an alternative to my chinease adapter for wired connection.

Pro: wifi
    Con: only one controller/8bit adapter.

Did anybody tested the nintendo adapter via usb A/C converter plugged into the switch port, instead of the port at the docking station? Maybe it works with an additional 2:1 cable?

14. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Oh didn't know about this one:

15. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    The GC controller was great for anything developed with it in mind, but sucked for most ports - there's a pretty good reason why almost every other controller ever standardizes the size and shape of all face buttons.
    It's my second favourite controller of that generation, after the PS2's DS2... but ergonomically, it's one of the best controllers ever.

16. Taffy

Taffy If specified, this will replace the title that...

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    Rechargable batteries are great... But I prefer being able to just pop in a new set of fresh batteries when they go dead instead of trying to find a charger and then sitting with a cable plugged into a controller for 2 hours.

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    "Wirelessly"
    I don't really see the point in these kinds of addons. The wire is still going to get in the way just the same as it would if it was connected directly to the Switch, the only difference is that you don't have to worry about someone tripping over the cable.

18. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    It really depends on the game. I'd play all versions of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. with a GC controller. Also all kind of 3D (!) fighting games like Soul Calibur, Tekken and so on are pretty cool with it if they don't require more (shoulder) buttons than it offers.
    2D games are mostly enjoyable with an (8bitdo) SNES pad for me. Unfortunately some of them need all shoulder buttons (like Dead Cells).
    Breath of the Wild on the other hand is just perfectly playable with the Pro Controller.

19. ciaomao

ciaomao Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    My switch is located behind me. Any wired controller enwraps me, after a short time.

Last edited by ciaomao, Nov 8, 2018
  20. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    And your post just answered itself.