New 8BitDo adapter will allow for GameCube controllers to connect to the Switch wirelessly

3-gbros-family.original.jpg

If you're still holding onto your retro GameCube controllers from the past, or you wound up purchasing Nintendo's special wired GameCube controller for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, you might be interested in what manufacturer 8BitDo has up their sleeves. Their new Gbros adapter will let players connect their GameCube controllers to it, and therefore the Nintendo Switch, allowing them to play as if it were wireless. It also has the bonus functionality of PC support through Bluetooth. If you fancy the Nintendo Wii's Classic Controllers, the adapter offers a port for those, and any Wii-related controllers to plug into as well. Each full charge of the Gbros will give about 30 hours of play time, making it appealing to those who wish to use a GameCube controller, but lack a Wavebird. The dongle also sports home and screenshot buttons, for quick access for those who are playing in tabletop mode. The 8BitDo Gbros will go on sale on December 7, the same day Super Smash Bros. Ultimate launches for the Nintendo Switch.

:arrow: Source: Amazon

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the same reason that everyone now buys fucking RGB RAM even if they don't have a transparent side in their case. Or a mechanical keyboard. Or a mouse that's more than $100. People think that they can just buy skills and companies love that way of thinking.

I bought bigger pads for my Switch because I couldn't stand how small the Joycons' dpads were. Literally the whole box was full of "PRO GAMING" phrases or quotes with promises of "UP TO 10X PRECISION MAD SKILLZ". Bitch I just wanted something big enough for my adult thumb.

Gamecube controllers are the holy grail of Super Smash Bros competitive play, even though it was proven in more than one occasion that the best controls would be from something similar to an arcade machine's controller rather than a gamepad. Not to mention that you need "broken" Gamecube controllers to play Smash Bros Melee competitively "right", thanks to legal game exploits.

I'm going to kick everyone's ass with joycons OR a regular Pro controller. And if I lose, it wasn't because I wasn't holding the right controller, but because I suck.
have you never used a mechanical keyboard before? %1000 worth it, everything else you mentioned is just opinion but i'm pretty sure mechanical keyboards being better is a fact there is a huge difference and they last forever.

Reactions: thorasgar

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
have you never used a mechanical keyboard before? %1000 worth it, everything else you mentioned is just opinion but i'm pretty sure mechanical keyboards being better is a fact there is a huge difference and they last forever.
Congratulations for missing the point entirely. It must've not been easy, considering how well-put the point was.

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I want this. I really like my wii classic controller but haven't used it in ages. If it works wired through the dock's USB, it'd be perfect.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
GameCube controller was passable at best. Why would anyone use them today, beside imprinting effect?
It's awesome that GameCube controllers get support but it be nice if this allowed me to use my WiiU gamepad with my Nintendo Switch
How would that even work? I mean, I guess a HDMi/Bluetooth USB thing could work, just plug in the HDMI Cable to the dock, then the USB cable to the dock, Pair the gamepad to it, and then it could work as a pro-controller while mirroring what's on the TV.
NOTE: this is just an idea I had off the top of my head.

Reactions: SSG Vegeta

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any options for the Nintendo 64 controller? I wanna' play old school Mario party on the switch
I'm guessing Mario party 1-3 via an emulator? Super Mario Party only supports joycons.

Only way to do it is via yucky multiple adapters... And even then may not work as I don't have said adapters to test.
Example 1: N64 to Wii remote adapter https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/n64_to_wiimote/index.php
Then Wii remote to mayflash ns adapter.

2nd example
N64 to GameCube adapter. https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA7...eL2rtrtod_vlZVIH0Nf4gg6wOplR4U8RoCf4QQAvD_BwE

Then official GC to Switch smash adapter.

With the recessed GameCube port, would a wavebird even fit? Maybe a cable extension would be needed. Mario kart with the GameCube controller is super dope.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe works awesome with the official Switch to GC adapter :)

I want this. I really like my wii classic controller but haven't used it in ages. If it works wired through the dock's USB, it'd be perfect.

FYI for people who already have a classic controller and a Wii remote and the mayflash magic ns adapter. Update the firmware and the controller works through the Wii remote! Using one to play through some switch platformers :)

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is among the best 8bitdo has ever done.
Saw that on their Instagram account yesterday and kinda freaked out.
Not only are Wavebirds hard to find, they are also kind of ugly.
But I love the original controllers and Nintendo's re-release when Sm4sh for Wii U came out.
Although I already have the USB adapter (Mayhem) which offers 4 ports and works great on games like MK8D, I'm so indescribably lazy that I don't wanna get up from the couch to connect all that sh*t to the dock. That's why I'm often ending up using the Pro Controller for MK8D although I'd prefer the GC one.
With this I'll reach for the box under my table, pull this sweet thing out and I'm ready to go. Pretty cool, 8bitdo!

(I'd rather go with native 8bitdo GameCube bluetooth controllers though if they'd exist.)

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
This could be an alternative to my chinease adapter for wired connection.

Pro: wifi
Con: only one controller/8bit adapter.

Did anybody tested the nintendo adapter via usb A/C converter plugged into the switch port, instead of the port at the docking station? Maybe it works with an additional 2:1 cable?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GameCube controller was passable at best. Why would anyone use them today, beside imprinting effect?
The GC controller was great for anything developed with it in mind, but sucked for most ports - there's a pretty good reason why almost every other controller ever standardizes the size and shape of all face buttons.
It's my second favourite controller of that generation, after the PS2's DS2... but ergonomically, it's one of the best controllers ever.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While not an official Nintendo product, the PowerA gamecube controller is close to that, though likely for cost reasons it uses AA batteries instead of a rechargeable one.

Rechargable batteries are great... But I prefer being able to just pop in a new set of fresh batteries when they go dead instead of trying to find a charger and then sitting with a cable plugged into a controller for 2 hours.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
"Wirelessly"
I don't really see the point in these kinds of addons. The wire is still going to get in the way just the same as it would if it was connected directly to the Switch, the only difference is that you don't have to worry about someone tripping over the cable.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The GC controller was great for anything developed with it in mind, but sucked for most ports - there's a pretty good reason why almost every other controller ever standardizes the size and shape of all face buttons.
It's my second favourite controller of that generation, after the PS2's DS2... but ergonomically, it's one of the best controllers ever.
It really depends on the game. I'd play all versions of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. with a GC controller. Also all kind of 3D (!) fighting games like Soul Calibur, Tekken and so on are pretty cool with it if they don't require more (shoulder) buttons than it offers.
2D games are mostly enjoyable with an (8bitdo) SNES pad for me. Unfortunately some of them need all shoulder buttons (like Dead Cells).
Breath of the Wild on the other hand is just perfectly playable with the Pro Controller.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
"Wirelessly"
I don't really see the point in these kinds of addons. The wire is still going to get in the way just the same as it would if it was connected directly to the Switch, the only difference is that you don't have to worry about someone tripping over the cable.

My switch is located behind me. Any wired controller enwraps me, after a short time.

Last edited by ciaomao,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk