New 3ds XL: X button is slightly non-responsive

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by NEO117, May 28, 2015.

1. NEO117
    OP

NEO117 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    Venezuela
    Ok, it's not that the X button is bad or anything. I just notice that with all the other buttons, I just gotta lightly press them, while with the X button I gotta press it slightly harder to make it work. Is that normal? Can I make it better?

2. Nickname863

Nickname863 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Interwebs
    Did you clos.... just kidding
    Maybe cleaning helps (i can't help you with that I am always scared to damage technical parts while cleaning) but otherwise you will probably have to live with it.
    I will test it though Tested it for me there was no difference between the x of a normal 3ds and a new one (the small one)

3. NEO117
    OP

NEO117 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    Venezuela
    Yeah... I always get scared when it comes to cleaning as well. I haven't tried yet because I'm looking for a proper way to clean it that won't damage it. I know alcohol is out of the question.

4. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Actually medicinal alcohol is the most safe way to clean electronics. I would suggest to remove the battery and drop a few drops of medicinal alcohol between the crack of the button the press it a couple of times to let the medical alcohol wash the contacts which are most likely dirty or something.

5. NEO117
    OP

NEO117 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    Venezuela
    I know but I got a little paranoid after my friend's 3ds got busted when he used alcohol to clean it. LOL

I actually DO have a contact cleaner... Durp. Will try and report back later.

6. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    He probably used nail polish which is a big no no. Just go to your local pharmacy and ask for a little bottle of pure medicinal alcohol. Drop a few drops with the battery out, mash the buttons a couple of times and let the alcohol evaporate. I did this dozens of times on my old iPhone's home button and it worked every time just don't use anything else than medicinal alcohol.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Nail polish and alcohol are completely different things though...

8. NEO117
    OP

NEO117 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    Venezuela
    Yeah... It doesn't seem to have solved the issue. Oh well, it really isn't THAT bad. It's probably supposed to be like that since the pressure I have to apply is minimal, it's just slightly more than the other buttons. Most likely a nitpick.

9. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Use IPA on the contacts.

10. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Protip: don't use lager.

11. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    how do you guys clean the lcd of your ds systems? i have a lcd cleaning liquid thing.. it is specifically made for lcd glass or somehting and it cleans my phone screen/tv/laptop screen very nicely , so this would be safe to use on the 3ds as well yeah ?