New 3DS top screen distortion [IPS]?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by helltoast, Aug 27, 2016.

1. helltoast
    OP

helltoast Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    I got one of the Mario bundles that come with IPS screens. thing is, the top one has this weird 'distortion' at the bottom.

it's not screen bleed, you can only see it under bright colors. it looks like dark spots, except they're neatly arranged one after the other, kinda like a frontlight with uneven display.

it's really subtle so it's hard to take good pictures, but here:

P_20160827_035424.jpg

any idea what's causing it? maybe pressure on the ribbon cable? should I be worried?

2. Thaulos

Thaulos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2016
    Bedfordshire
    Send it to nintendo to get it fixed, it is a hardware error, but you can try turning it off and on again

3. helltoast
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    tried it already. multiple times.

any idea what exactly is the problem?

4. Thaulos

Thaulos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2016
    Bedfordshire
    I'm ain't nintendo expert, but it is a hardware error. You still got warranty?

5. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    Yeah, there's really nothing you can do. It's a rare case of a defective device. Most of the new 3DSes come with dual IPS, however.

6. helltoast
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    for anyone that comes across this thread, chill. it's not a defect apparently.

I contacted the seller about returning the 3DS and he sent me a picture of another YW7011 (dual IPS displays); it presented the same issue. so I went after another one to confirm it and, to my surprised, it checked out- all three units had these blotches at the bottom of the top screen.

production numbers were far apart, too. 10, 90 and 500. and they all presented the same QA issues as well: crooked glass, bleed on the bottom screen, sticking power button and an uneven shell (most notably where the cameras sit).

and finally, if you tweak the pictures originally posted here just a bit, you can see the dark spots:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by helltoast, Sep 3, 2016
  7. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    I have the exact same dark spots on my top IPS screen. If there's one thing that sucks while using the "superior" panel, it's loading screens and dark areas.