Hardware New 3DS top screen distortion [IPS]?

helltoast

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got one of the Mario bundles that come with IPS screens. thing is, the top one has this weird 'distortion' at the bottom.

it's not screen bleed, you can only see it under bright colors. it looks like dark spots, except they're neatly arranged one after the other, kinda like a frontlight with uneven display.

it's really subtle so it's hard to take good pictures, but here:

P_20160827_035424.jpg

any idea what's causing it? maybe pressure on the ribbon cable? should I be worried?

helltoast

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for anyone that comes across this thread, chill. it's not a defect apparently.

I contacted the seller about returning the 3DS and he sent me a picture of another YW7011 (dual IPS displays); it presented the same issue. so I went after another one to confirm it and, to my surprised, it checked out- all three units had these blotches at the bottom of the top screen.

production numbers were far apart, too. 10, 90 and 500. and they all presented the same QA issues as well: crooked glass, bleed on the bottom screen, sticking power button and an uneven shell (most notably where the cameras sit).

and finally, if you tweak the pictures originally posted here just a bit, you can see the dark spots:

k3d8fh.jpg

Last edited by helltoast,

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
I have the exact same dark spots on my top IPS screen. If there's one thing that sucks while using the "superior" panel, it's loading screens and dark areas.

PabloC140595

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys I have the same problem! But not only the black spots...depends on the colors on screen,you can see all the corners of the screen darkened!! It is really annoying,and ruins the game experience!! Btw,mine is a New 3ds Mario 3D Land edition,with dual ips screens!! Should I sell it a buy a new one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Mj you are the father