Hacking New 3DS system update 7.2.0-17

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
sure, nintendo could do whatever they wanted basically :)
i hate how you can't exit the eshop until all the pictures etc have loaded, sometimes my internet is slow, and it will be a minute before i can exit to home... i don't know why they do it...
god i hate that too, its bloody stupid.......not that i can go on eshop atm anyway :rofl2:

Reactions: cearp

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me or is the eshop look somewhat different in this update? It looks brighter, faster and Ui looks update ( same design ). Is it possible to update the color etc through a fw update?
I wasn't paying too much attention to the color, but it really does seem faster, so that's cool.

Patches were recognized by the one game I tested that I didn't have before, so that's neat.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i wonder if gateway could set emunand up the other way around....i.e booting from the gateway card and loading games from the SD slot then they would probably allow .cia installation, i think the issue with it right now is the potential to backfire and get hacked to make gateway un-needed, then the eshop could go screw itself XD

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i wonder if gateway could set emunand up the other way around....i.e booting from the gateway card and loading games from the SD slot then they would probably allow .cia installation, i think the issue with it right now is the potential to backfire and get hacked to make gateway un-needed, then the eshop could go screw itself XD
i'm almost certain they could, and almost certain they won't let us ever do it :) at least, without some heavy drm, but still, i'll be very surprised.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Because after 4.5 Nintendo encrypted new keys into there firmware closing the exploit which is complete kernel access. So basically eveyrhting gateway used to exploit the 3ds in 4.5 is patched up, and before u ask if everything is patched up why can we play games that require 7.0+ firmware to play. The simple answer is the games where made with 4.5-6.0+ SDK which still uses the keys gateway uses for the exploit.

Its on boot that it happens, everyone that is using gateway is still booting from 4.x Regardless of what version of EmuNAND you are using, it is not booting into that version, its loading into it through 4.x, Hence the new flags etc arent even in existence, so anything using the new 7.x Encryption method will fail to load, once games are using it we will be even more screwed, if we could boot into newer firmwares we would be fine. Dont even think there are any SDK 6 games out yet though let alone 7, even Mario Golf etc are built with SDK 5.x.x

From 3dBrew

As of 7.0.0-13 the system now supports a new encryption method for the secure-cryptotype, the CTR for this is the same as before. This is enabled when NCCH flag[3] is non-zero. When enabled, the RomFS and ExeFS files which don't have filenames "icon" or "banner"(that is, ".code") are crypted with a different keyslot. This keyslot is initialized by the 6.0 gamecard savegame keyY init function during boot, using a different portion of the final hash(this keyslot is separate from the one used for the 6.0 save crypto).

zb123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its not a SDK thing, its on boot that it happens, everyone that is using gateway is still booting from 4.x Regardless of what version of EmuNAND you are using, it is not booting into that version, its loading into it through 4.x, Hence the new flags etc arent even in existence, so anything using the new 7.x Encryption method will fail to load, once games are using it we will be even more screwed

From 3dBrew

As of 7.0.0-13 the system now supports a new encryption method for the secure-cryptotype, the CTR for this is the same as before. This is enabled when NCCH flag[3] is non-zero. When enabled, the RomFS and ExeFS files which don't have filenames "icon" or "banner"(that is, ".code") are crypted with a different keyslot. This keyslot is initialized by the 6.0 gamecard savegame keyY init function during boot, using a different portion of the final hash(this keyslot is separate from the one used for the 6.0 save crypto).

It seems like this will be unfixable.

amaro999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They´ve done it to prevent people going on-line.
If you can´t go to system settings you cannot set up your wi-fi connection.

This is their answer to Gateway´s online feature.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can anyone confirm if R4 Gold Pro (r4isdhc.com) works on 7.2?
This card is already kinda weird since according to Pong it was blocked in 6.3.0-12 and marked as not working. Yet it worked perfectly on 7.1.0-16

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How long does it take you guys to download the update?

It took me two tries, first lead me to an update error, the second lasted 7 min, I remember it because I was watching an anime an the length at the end of the update was that. The eShop Price and name apps design has changed, it has a tinier charater size and the prices are now on the down right now, also the categories are a very little small, it's barely noticeable. Dunno the changes in System Settings, the last changes apart of the NNID were the Brightness Button on the up-left corner.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The newest version does basically this:

Added e-mail support to Parental Controls, allowing parents that have forgotten their PIN to send themselves an e-mail with instructions on unlocking Parental Controls.
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

an07her

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience" in this case means "Oh, we know about the new online feature of GW, get this update" 2 days after GW 2.2.
Good Nintendo, keep reading gbatemp.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
A smart Gateway user would have an EmuNAND backup of not onl;y 4.5, but of every major update version. Just for instances like 7.2, where things break.

Looks like it will probably stay broken, especially when official changelog is always vague regardless of what they actually do

OFFICIAL CHANGELOG
  • Added e-mail support to Parental Controls, allowing parents that have forgotten their PIN to send themselves an e-mail with instructions on unlocking Parental Controls.
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
ACTUAL CHANGES- Courtesy of yellow8
  • System Settings, eShop, and the NNID Settings application were updated. All three of these applications now use the NCCH encryption added with 7.0.0-13, none of the other updated titles were updated to use the new NCCH encryption.
  • The USA 0004009B00012302 USA title was updated, the other regions of that title were updated as well
  • The 0004001B00018002 title was updated.
  • The NZone hotspot list was updated.
  • NVer and CVer were updated.
  • The mint and olv(Miiverse) applets were updated.
  • The "eula" CFA was updated, for only EUR.
  • The following system modules were updated: cfg, HID, NIM, NWM, RO, NS, and act.
  • NATIVE_FIRM was updated. The only actual updated code in NATIVE_FIRM was Process9, and the FIRM ARM11 modules.
Looks like no more Eshop or settings access

Reactions: JayRo

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone have a list of games that need an update via e-shop. I have the MK7 one. I may try this tomorrow, if b17bomber's equipment fails.

As far as I know updates are needed for:- Mario Kart 7, Pokemon X/Y, Mario & Luigis Dream Team Bros, New Style Boutique, Secret Mysteries in London, The Lego Video Movie Game, Lego legends of Chima, Shin Megami, Adventure Time Explore the Dungeon I think that's about it. You can pull most of these updates off the internet I don't know if they work but they are floating about, I pulled mine off E-Shop before the update only to make sure I had them but I didn't know this update would happen to stop E-Shop access.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/sony-apologizes-for-sony-interview-with-sony-developer-ne...