New 3DS scanlines effect present?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiUBricker, Oct 11, 2014.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Can anyone who happens to have a New 3DS confirm whether or not the New 3DS's top display have the same "scanlines" in 2D mode like the other 3DS models?

I am talking about this:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Background info
    Source of picture

2. hiroakihsu

hiroakihsu SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD

Aug 10, 2003
    United States
    On the edge of my seat
    WiiUBricker likes this.
  3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Considering the screen technology and resolution are the same, I don't see why it would be any different.

4. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    They improved 3D viewing so there was a chance they did something to the screen so that it doesnt show scanlines in 2D mode. Also, resolution is unrelated to the scanlines effect.

5. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    They are the pixels bro. The resolution is tiny so the pixels are big as shit

astronautlevel and Huntereb like this.
  6. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    What are the pixels? I don't get what you are trying to say.

7. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random

Ok let me explane this.

A pixel is a picture element, one squarish point of the screen. Most modern displays like on the 3DS use a raster screen, it uses pixels to display an image. Since the screen isd big with a low resalution the pixels will be larger. With the 3D on your left eye sees 50% of the pixels and your right the rest (in theory). Because of how it gets filtered it splits it virticly. One eye only sees evry other collum, so when the 3D is off you tend to see more of the pixels. Becuase of this there are 'scanlines'.

I hope this is clear.

8. james50a

james50a Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2010
    Canada
    your logic makes no sense. scan lines have nothing todo with resolution, just how a screen updates. by your logic all 4k screens must have extremely noticeable scan lines because you see a ton of a pixels

9. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    That is backwards, the 'scanlines' are from the gaps is the pixels, not the lack of gap.

10. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    Are you serious? You're talking about a scaline effect but you dont know what a pixel is?
    The pixels are what makes up the picture on your screen. A pixel is usually a square shaped point made up by three "sub-pixels" (red, green and blue).
    Some pixel-technologies are LED based and each pixels can be lit individually and not only blocking light as traditional LCD screens would.

Apples "retina display" got it's name because the pixels are so small that from a certain distance your eyes will not be able to makeout the individual pixels.
    In this 3DS case the pixels are just that big that you can see them (and the gaps between them).

I hope that nintendos next gen handheld with have a much higher resolution than the 3DS

UPDATE: You need to read up on Scanlines and what causes scanlines on older CRT televisions.
    Now, there are scanline filthers and FX to kinda replicate the effect of scanlines on LCD and LED displays but "Real" scanlines should not be present.

What you noticing here on the 3DS is the gap between each pixel row.
    And I can only guess that it kind of looks like scanlines if you switch the 3d off because the 3DS may overlay the two screens sligthly off to the left and right (a half pixel or so) I dont know if this is the case but it sure would make sense.

11. Oxybelis

Oxybelis GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2010
    There are gaps between pixels. Because 3DS has 2x horizontal resolution vertical gaps are very small. So in 2D mode scanline effect is present. If Nintendo disables half of pixels you can get usual display view with pretty much equal gaps.

Aplle can make really small pixels but large gaps. And it won't be "retina" display.

12. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Resolution is related. Since the horizontal resolution is much higher, the gap between pixels is much smaller, which causes the effect.

13. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2013

14. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    I still think this scanline like effect is due to the 3ds is overlaping it's two resolutions just slightly off horizontally. Basically killing the vertical gaps

15. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    gudenaurock / DaniPoo : Jesus! Stop being idiots. I obviously know what a pixel is and you don't need to explain to me what scanlines are and you don't need to speculate the cause of this effect. I called this the scanlines effect out of laziness because they look like ones even though I linked you to a description to this effect that explains exactly how this effect is caused and that they are not actual scanlines. If you don't bother to read up the info I linked to, then don't post stupid stuff out of your ass. Damn!

Read the info. Resolution is not related at all.

16. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands

I read the info.

17. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    And you failed to understand it correctly. You can double and half the resolution as much as you want, those "scanlines" will always be there because of the technology the screen uses.

18. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    Oh, did not read what you wrote in that other thread. However, what you wrote there is exactly what I ment.
    If both screens where alined properly you would get the "scanlines" in both directions instead of just horizontal.

In theory you could remove all "scanlines" if one screen was missalined in both Y and X axis and not only Y axis like one the 3DS.

19. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    What I wrote was wrong because of the lack of understanding the screen technology back then (it was merely an assumption just as yours). What's right is the quoted text in italics that describes the technology behind the top screen.