Homebrew New 3DS: Region Unlock (2016)

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, but...I already got the Sky3DS now. I never had Ocarina of Time. I was just thinking of which method would benefit me the most and, in the end, it was thanks to the Sky3DS making the ROM process easier that I was convinced. Being region-free and allowing me to test out games before I buy them sounds like a good deal to me.
No worries, although I think the only benefit the Sky3DS has over OoT is the fact that it's less of a hassle to set up. Otherwise, I'd say the Sky3DS is less preferred because it doesn't let you install .cias (home menu themes/dlc/updates/channel-based games) unless you're running a CFW, which would nullify the previously mentioned point going for the Sky3DS.

If you are hoping for a permanent solution to homebrew/regionfree while still being able to update and are willing to put in the extra 3-5 hours following this guide after you get your Sky3DS, you can sell your Sky3DS to someone after you've finished following the guide, and continue to use stuff off a (hopefully large) sd card. Sky3DS currently works on the latest firmware, but there is no guarantee that it will last, and I am not sure if the flashcart is future-proof, either. (Unless the newer models of the flashcart can update/flash to itself physically, I'm not sure)

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i'm not sure why you guys are recommending oot over cubic ninja, in my opinion it is much easier to set up and use, no?

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how OP is confused at all the suggestions, thats why I recommend reading up and making a decision or ask a technical question.

Reactions: cearp

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop confusing the guy. He already made up his mind based on his needs. He wanted the "easiest" solution to play out of region games. The easiest way is with sky3ds and a cubic ninja rom. No downgrading and no CFW setups. Just boot cubic ninja, select region free loader and play the game.

Simple.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

(Unless the newer models of the flashcart can update/flash to itself physically, I'm not sure)
They can.

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop confusing the guy. He already made up his mind based on his needs. He wanted the "easiest" solution to play out of region games. The easiest way is with sky3ds and a cubic ninja rom. No downgrading and no CFW setups. Just boot cubic ninja, select region free loader and play the game.

Simple.

Thank you. I was starting to get a bit overwhelmed.

However, I appreciate all the tutorials I was given on the matter of CFW, though I would appreciate it if somebody could compile up all the tutorials that were shared here in one post, explain the pros and cons of each and which one would be the best for homebrew. Reading on what they can do has made me consider it, especially if updating is still possible.

Like I said, I'm not ready to start up right this minute on CFW; rather, I am just in the consideration stage.

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

EmuAGR

Trophies
XP
Country
If later you decide to go the CFW route https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki is the guide to follow. It is a long process that will probably take you a full day since you will be learning as you go. I would also suggest using http://gbatemp.net/threads/aureinand-n3ds-o3ds-a9lh.411110/ as your CFW after you complete the first guide. This is my current setup.

You should read them now just so you can see what you are getting yourself into.
It won't take a full day, just a couple of hours (mainly due to backups).

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't take a full day, just a couple of hours (mainly due to backups).
If your familiar with the terms used and know what a sysnand/emunand are then sure, a few hours maybe. If not it will take longer. It's rare that someone that knows nothing about this will get everything 100% correct the first time without stopping to ask questions. Most people forget about injecting FBI to the H&S app and then have to make a new emunand.

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I got my card now. I am following this tutorial:

I hope I can set it up for Cubic Ninja to load on there and use that to region unlock it.

Alright, looks like I already screwed up. When he told me to insert the firmware into the MicroSD, I left that MicroSD in the Sky3DS and inserted it that way. As in, I placed the MicroSD inside the Sky3DS, hooked up the Sky3DS to the computer and THEN inserted it, rather than hooking up the MicroSD to another MicroSD Adapter and doing it that way.

It still went red, green and then stopped, so maybe it worked out. Gonna try it.

Last edited by Notshane,

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you get your copy of cubic ninja working on the sky3ds you will want to go here: https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/

Download the starter kit, extract it and place it on the root of your 3ds SD card. Then generate your QR code and scan it in your cubic ninja game.

8 minutes is a long tutorial for updating the firmware. It takes less than 1 minute to do.

EDIT: Make sure your wifi is on the first time you try to run ninjahax. It has to download the payload.

Last edited by Bu2d85,

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it work?

I thought I messed up, until I forgot to turn on the NFC! After that, it ran the exploit and now I can finally play that game I wanted to play!

Man, I wish I knew a 3DS ISO site so I could try some more games before I buy them! The fact that Cubic Ninja just worked so easily was so strange to me. It loaded up and I was like "WHAT?!" thinking I had to do more. So, basically, if I find more ".3ds" ROM files, I just cut and paste and the orange buttons navigate them on the handheld, correct? If so, this is one heck of a hack cart! Very easy for testing.

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I messed up, until I forgot to turn on the NFC! After that, it ran the exploit and now I can finally play that game I wanted to play!

Man, I wish I knew a 3DS ISO site so I could try some more games before I buy them! The fact that Cubic Ninja just worked so easily was so strange to me. It loaded up and I was like "WHAT?!" thinking I had to do more. So, basically, if I find more ".3ds" ROM files, I just cut and paste and the orange buttons navigate them on the handheld, correct? If so, this is one heck of a hack cart! Very easy for testing.

Yes, that's basically it. Put .3ds files on your cart and play them. If you want to play out of region .3ds files you can use cubic ninja and then press the orange buttons while in the region free launcher.

Some out of region games will not work and you can not use out of region updates or DLC but it's as simple as you can get without installing a CFW.

Check your PM's.

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's basically it. Put .3ds files on your cart and play them. If you want to play out of region .3ds files you can use cubic ninja and then press the orange buttons while in the region free launcher.

That's amazing.

Some out of region games will not work and you can not use out of region updates or DLC but it's as simple as you can get without installing a CFW.

Wait, so you're telling me that CFW not only allows itself to update with 3DS firmware naturally, but it also supports out of region DLC?! I honestly feel like Nintendo could easily make the 3DS region free if CFW is able to basically be the 3DS that everyone wants theirs to be, given the things the original DS brought with it in that department. If it wasn't for how risky the whole process is, I would try it myself. But, until I need to worry about out of region DLC, I am content at where I am with Sky3DS+ as of now.

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newest release of AuReiNand supports out of region DLC. This is a new feature that is just a couple of days old and only requires adding a txt file to your SD card. NTR has been able to do it for a while.

Nintendo could make a system region free. They are the ones that blocked it.

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newest release of AuReiNand supports out of region DLC. This is a new feature that is just a couple of days old and only requires adding a txt file to your SD card. NTR has been able to do it for a while.

Nintendo could make a system region free. They are the ones that blocked it.

Yeah, that's true. I don't believe their statement that it is "too late" to do so on the 3DS. It is not "too late" you just have to give it a firmware update that allows it; plain and simple.

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, when downloading roms for the SKY3DS they can not be modified in any way. No rom hacks, no region free roms, etc..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    wow that didn't work lol
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    tried to paste a pic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop getting your creamy paste all over
    +2
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    DO NOT WORK FOR ME :(
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think he has a wedgie, and is afraid to fix it in public.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else he caught one of those Florida STD's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psis difficulty meter is Stds like how south park made it race color
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah it's skin color for difficulty in south park

is it, by that logic, blackface to play on the hardest difficulty if you're white?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Psi, you ever been on a date and ran into another past date? And how did you handle it? Just curious.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He just says this is the neighbor across the block and says sorry their mail got mixed up
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, this sounds unhinged, but someone (i forgot who) saying they'd want to make their left 4 dead team wario, samus, captain falcon and nester gave me the idea for a quick round of fuck marry kill/bed wed behead
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck marry kill:
    wario, samus, captain falcon
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i gotta say fuck captain falcon, because he's hot (no homo), marry samus, because she seems like good wife (or as BigOnYa says, wifey) material, and kill wario, because he can't die, so killing him won't really kill him
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but uhhh that's just me hehe
    iu
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    good night guys
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, wise one, thanks for trying to help.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    To sleep perchance to dream!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My state has put a heavy tax on vape juice, taxing any juice with nicotine by the weight/oz. So to get around the bs, my local vape store only sells 0 nicotine vape juices, then they also sell straight nicotine in tiny bottles, and you mix it yourself to your 0% juice, lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, is that Wing from South Park?
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Damn, is that Wing from South Park?