Hacking New 3DS Owner Basics

J3D1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and Gals, apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge on the DS as it's taken me a while to get one.
I've recently purchased a second hand New 3DS XL (Blue one with software ver.11.2.0-35E) with the lure of being able to play free games on it and wondered what I need to get started.
I've heard about freeshop being an avenue for the games but not sure how to ultimately get there.

I only have the 4gb microSD it came with so it sounds like a good start would be to get a 32gb card? Is there a go to one in the UK everybody uses that is compatible?
Many thanks in advance, I know it must be a pain when noobs come looking for help on this subject and I would really appreciate any help in guiding me through this unkown.

J3D1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, do I need a larger SD card before I start the guides or can the SD card be swapped out later?

J3D1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, forgot to mention I don't have an adapter to convert the micro to standard SD so it fits my laptop.
Would appreciate any help sourcing a recommended 32gb micro that comes with an adapter in the UK.

Catsinabucket

Permanently Uncertain
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The New 3DS models have a Micro SD Management applet in Settings, which lets you manage your SD files over local network, so you should be able to go through 3ds.guide using that :)

Reactions: J3D1

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sorry, forgot to mention I don't have an adapter to convert the micro to standard SD so it fits my laptop.
Would appreciate any help sourcing a recommended 32gb micro that comes with an adapter in the UK.
Any SanDisk Ultra or Samsung Evo should be good and I think all the Samsung Evos come with an adapter, SanDisk Ultra usually does too, but you can easily tell from the packaging.
But I recommend 64 or 128 GB. 32 GB is really not enough for all the must-haves.
Depends on what you want to play, the Pokemon and Monster Hunter games are a few GBs each. 64 GB might be enough but you might find yourself wanting just a little bit more space so that you don't have to worry about deleting games. If you want to run emulators and have a large collection of ROMs for each system, that can easily take up a few GB too.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: jDSX and J3D1

J3D1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So 128gb would be the way to go? Do you have a link to a compatible one? Don't understand all this SDXC and SDHC malarkey. I just don't want to buy a card that doesn't work.
Does it have to be M memory or something?

Virdoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I always used 16 or 32 GB sd cards. 16gb is good enough for about 10 games, so you don't really need 128GB to be honest. But never go under 16 GB.

D

Deleted-351540

Keep in mind that the larger the SD card and the more titles you have installed to it will increase boot times significantly. My n3DS with a 32Gb card and only about seven games takes about 6 seconds to reach the home menu and load everything. My n3DS XL with a 64Gb card and MANY games takes about 8-9 seconds to boot up and load the home menu.

I couldn't imagine filling a 128Gb. 13-15 second startup times. :(

J3D1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the help guys, got a 64gb Sandisk Ultra Micro SD with adapter from Sainsbury over the weekend for £19.99 and got "that shop" cia installed and working the other day after following the guide to prepare the 3ds.
Come on downloads!!!
:)

Is it normal for homebrew to "hang" occasionally on start up?

Last edited by J3D1,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the help guys, got a 64gb Sandisk Ultra Micro SD with adapter from Sainsbury over the weekend for £19.99 and got "that shop" cia installed and working the other day after following the guide to prepare the 3ds.
Come on downloads!!!
:)

Is it normal for homebrew to "hang" occasionally on start up?
Perfomance would depend on the optimisation of the program you're running and the read and write speeds of the SD Card you're using. Also, keep in mind that homebrew programs don't always have loading screens, which might make it look like it's hanging.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: