Hacking New 3ds for my son (gateway)

Mianne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello everyone i finally gave in and bought my son a new 3ds xl after his old 3ds broke about a month ago.

But the problem is that I don't quite understand the methods for getting the gateway to work for his new 3ds .
He used to use the Ds profile to get into gateway mode but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

The new 3ds is brand new and not connected to the internet as of yet.(also unplayed so not yet updated)

What exactly do I need to do now since most of the guides are either outdated or simply too confusing for me as a working single mother that doesn't have the time to search the entire internet.

So a couple of questions :
Will I need Zelda oot to get the gateway ready for him?
Or can I use the browserhax/menuhax guide that I found here to install the homebrew channel

I'm really sorry for having to ask this but this whole new 3ds scene is quite complicated for me as a technology beginner...:-/

Thanks in advance and have a nice day everyone :-)

Reactions: Deleted User

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, first let us know on what firmware does the New 3DS on. You can check it by opening "System Settings" and on bottom right corner of top screen will have the Ver. written. Let us know the full number and kindly do not attempt to turn on WiFi to avoid any unnecessary update nag, do not try to update.

Reactions: Mianne

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Quite frankly, I wouldn't use the Gateway, even if you have it. Install Arm9LoaderHax via the guide above (Plailect's guide), follow every SINGLE step, without skipping any single one of them. Once you have A9LH, you *can* use the Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin payload to boot, but I don't recommend doing so as it doesn't have FIRM protection (meaning it doesn't protect you from updates. Iirc, updating while on A9LH without FIRM protection will either update your system or brick it, and you'll be unable to use gatewait or any other CFW regardless of what happens). Imho, you should stick with Luma3DS, which is pretty much noobproof CFW.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi, first let us know on what firmware does the New 3DS on. You can check it by opening "System Settings" and on bottom right corner of top screen will have the Ver. written. Let us know the full number and kindly do not attempt to turn on WiFi to avoid any unnecessary update nag, do not try to update.
He says it's not updated, and the vast majority of 3DS' on the market are on 10.7 or below, so it's safe to assume it's exploitable without a hardmod/DSiWarehax.

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like everyone just freaks out when they read someone using GW, and then immediately start preaching not to use GW and linking Phailect guide. Sure it has all the details but this lady is still new to this and might not be techy enough as she says. So start with simple questions like asking firmware version (which is still required to ask as we don't know whether browserhax will work, or we need OOT/CN, or even hardmod, as there are new consoles now coming with 11.0).

Last edited by Just3DS,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Looks like everyone just freaks out when they read someone using GW, and then immediately start preaching not to use GW and linking Phailect guide. Sure it has all the details but this lady is still new to this and might not be techy enough as she says. So start with simple questions like asking firmware version (which is still required to ask as we don't know whether browserhax will work, or we need OOT/CN, or even hardmod, as there are new consoles now coming with 11.0).
Uh, you do realise there is menuhax and browserhax for up to 11.0? Meaning you can downgrade with freehax up to 10.7. No OoT is needed.

Also, Gatewait's A9LH implementation *cough*copypastacode*cough* is dangerous and skips important steps, and does not have FIRM protection. It also comes with DRM. A9LH (non-GW) is clearly superior, as not only it allows you to use any a9lh (even GW's), CFWs like Luma have FIRM protection and are more foolproof.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If it is brand new it should have shipped with old enough firmware to be downrgadeable. Your first step is to downgrade to 9.2 which is latest firmware that had full Arm9 exploit, needed for the tomfoolery.

I too, with others as far as I know recommend using custom firmware over gateway - it is also more simple as you have the games on 3DS main menu exactly if they were downloaded from eShop - no need for extra cartridge and two sets of SD cards, just buy one huge SD card or use the one you used with gateway and you can do everything with the console alone. But like said; above guides give you at least enough to be able to boot the gateway and stuff too; if you absolutely want / your son absolutely wants to use it.

Mianne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow I didn't expected to get any answers until later this evening, I really thank everyone for trying to help me getting his new toy to work.:-))

I am currently at work until ~later this evening. If I'm not the mistaken the firmware was something with 9...but I will edit the real firmware in here when I'm back from work.
Until then I really appreciate everyones answer and to be honest I didn't knew there was another way to get everything working without a flashcard (which I still had that's why I wanted to get it working ) .
But I will definitely look into this a9hl thing. :-)

I quickly read over the guide and is it possible to update to 9.2 instead of downgrading if I'm below 9.2?

Like I said I will edit the real firmware it's currently on when im finished with work.

Until then thanks ALOT.

-M

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Wow I didn't expected to get any answers until later this evening, I really thank everyone for trying to help me getting his new toy to work.:-))

I am currently at work until ~later this evening. If I'm not the mistaken the firmware was something with 9...but I will edit the real firmware in here when I'm back from work.
Until then I really appreciate everyones answer and to be honest I didn't knew there was another way to get everything working without a flashcard (which I still had that's why I wanted to get it working ) .

I quickly read over the guide and is it possible to update to 9.2 instead of downgrading if I'm below 9.2?

Like I said I will edit the real firmware it's currently on when im finished with work.

Until then thanks ALOT.

-M
Yes, it is but I am quite sure your firmware was 9.5 or 9.6. You will be amazed that I guessed it right later tonight.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

Until then thanks ALOT.

-M
It is possible to update to 9.2, but if you're on 9.whatever , you are good to follow the Plailect guide (which is the most foolproof guide in the scene)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Quite frankly, I wouldn't use the Gateway, even if you have it. Install Arm9LoaderHax via the guide above (Plailect's guide), follow every SINGLE step, without skipping any single one of them. Once you have A9LH, you *can* use the Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin payload to boot, but I don't recommend doing so as it doesn't have FIRM protection (meaning it doesn't protect you from updates. Iirc, updating while on A9LH without FIRM protection will either update your system or brick it, and you'll be unable to use gatewait or any other CFW regardless of what happens). Imho, you should stick with Luma3DS, which is pretty much noobproof CFW.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

He says it's not updated, and the vast majority of 3DS' on the market are on 10.7 or below, so it's safe to assume it's exploitable without a hardmod/DSiWarehax.
Not a problem if she sets up emuNAND like she no doubt did before. FIRM protection only comes into play with sysNAND CFW.

Until then thanks ALOT.

-M
No need to update, the earliest firmware new3DS consoles came with was 9.0 (except the early Japanese ones), which is functionally the same as 9.2. You're extremely unlikely to find such an old console at this point so it will no doubt need to be downgraded.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Not a problem if she sets up emuNAND like she no doubt did before. FIRM protection only comes into play with sysNAND CFW.

No need to update, the earliest firmware new3DS consoles came with was 9.0 (except the early Japanese ones), which is functionally the same as 9.2. You're extremely unlikely to find such an old console at this point so it will no doubt need to be downgraded.
Uh, what's the point in doing so? EmuNAND, given to a kid, can be a disastrous combination if they somehow break it and boot into SysNAND. A9LH is objectively superior, and there's no reason not to do it, especially since the holy guide (Plailect's) explains everything step by step and in a foolproof way.

Reactions: N7Kopper and Mianne

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Uh, what's the point in doing so? EmuNAND, given to a kid, can be a disastrous combination if they somehow break it and boot into SysNAND. A9LH is objectively superior, and there's no reason not to do it, especially since the holy guide (Plailect's) explains everything step by step and in a foolproof way.

Booting into sysNAND with Gateway takes several steps so it's near impossible for someone to do it by accident.
A9LH is nice yes, but it's not exactly something you should suggest to someone who has literally just said that the guides and methods available are too confusing. It's best for her just to stick with what she knows unless she wants to put in the time to learn how to do it better. Or unless she can get someone who knows how to do it to do the hard work for her.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Booting into sysNAND with Gateway takes several steps so it's near impossible for someone to do it by accident.
A9LH is nice yes, but it's not exactly something you should suggest to someone who has literally just said that the guides and methods available are too confusing. It's best for her just to stick with what she knows unless she wants to put in the time to learn how to do it better. Or unless she can get someone who knows how to do it to do the hard work for her.
Again, the chance is there. More than that, considering the guide holds your hand for the entire process, it's pretty much impossible to brick unless you ignore it. Also, keep in mind - because she didn't know, she came here to ask. No point in "sticking to what she knows". The MSET exploit is not something currently used by many, and it is obsolete.

Reactions: N7Kopper

Binebina87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Its not that hard to go into Sysnand while using gateway. I mean just open the settings, the 3ds restarts and there's the Sysnand.

@Mianne : If you dont feel comfortable with a9lh you can still go for Menuhax (with a complicated key-combination to enter Sysnand while booting).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Again, the chance is there. More than that, considering the guide holds your hand for the entire process, it's pretty much impossible to brick unless you ignore it. Also, keep in mind - because she didn't know, she came here to ask. No point in "sticking to what she knows". The MSET exploit is not something currently used by many, and it is obsolete.

That's why I would suggest menuhax, it's much easier to set up for a beginner and it's easier to use too (compared to mset)
A9LH would be the best but you do have to admit it is pretty daunting the first time around, or even the second time, and that's for people who have been following the scene for a while and already know all of the terms commonly used and know how to work their way around menuhax, CFW and such. The guide makes it seem even more daunting just because of the complexity of it, and that in addition to how tiring it can be following a guide for 4 hours straight makes it easy to miss steps if you're not very careful. All this is made worse by being new to 3DS homebrew (only having had experience with Gateway in the past). I didn't mean don't install A9LH, just that it might be a good idea for her to familiarize herself with the other methods available first. And in a few days the process will be made much easier and safer so waiting a bit with installing A9LH itself and sticking to menuhax for now will be a good thing in the end anyway.

But if @Mianne is willing to go through with it then by all means do it, just be careful to double check that you're following the steps correctly. :)
Its not that hard to go into Sysnand while using gateway. I mean just open the settings, the 3ds restarts and there's the Sysnand.

@Mianne : If you dont feel comfortable with a9lh you can still go for Menuhax (with a complicated key-combination to enter Sysnand while booting).
Not the case with Menuhax if set to autoboot.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
That's why I would suggest menuhax, it's much easier to set up for a beginner and it's easier to use too (compared to mset)
A9LH would be the best but you do have to admit it is pretty daunting the first time around, or even the second time, and that's for people who have been following the scene for a while and already know all of the terms commonly used and know how to work their way around menuhax, CFW and such. The guide makes it seem even more daunting just because of the complexity of it, and that in addition to how tiring it can be following a guide for 4 hours straight makes it easy to miss steps if you're not very careful. All this is made worse by being new to 3DS homebrew (only having had experience with Gateway in the past). I didn't mean don't install A9LH, just that it might be a good idea for her to familiarize herself with the other methods available first. And in a few days the process will be made much easier and safer so waiting a bit with installing A9LH itself and sticking to menuhax for now will be a good thing in the end anyway.

But if @Mianne is willing to go through with it then by all means do it, just be careful to double check that you're following the steps correctly. :)

Not the case with Menuhax if set to autoboot.
uh, no. Menuhax is not 100% reliable.
More than that, what if the user removes the SD?

Also, the guide is long exactly so that people are given the instructions step-by-step. You needn't know a lot about the 3DS as long as you follow every step.

Don't forget, if you give a kid a 3DS with Menuhax... you can cross your fingers, as kids love to mess with everything, and I know I broke quite a few computers by executing commands I shouldn't have.

A9LH is kidproof.

Reactions: N7Kopper and Mianne

Mianne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello everyone its me again. :-)
I Just came Back from work and checked upon the Firmware its currently Set to 9.6 i completed the neccessary steps to get the homebrew channel working (part1 of the Guide)
Will continue with the rest in a bit but first I have to cook dinner for us two.:-)

Will come back when I have succeeded or need some help.

-M

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello everyone its me again. :-)
I Just came Back from work and checked upon the Firmware its currently Set to 9.6 i completed the neccessary steps to get the homebrew channel working (part1 of the Guide)
Will continue with the rest in a bit but first I have to cook dinner for us two.:-)

Will come back when I have succeeded or need some help.

-M
Off topic:
What happened to the old 3DS of your son :o?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: New Myoo.