PS1/2 Network drive?

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got my PS2 modded, and the whole reason I did this was so I could use a hard drive to play backups. I did the same thing for the Wii, and I can't play my games any other way. However, as I have a slim, I can't just plug in a hard drive and off I go. I guess I could trade and get a phat or something, but I do like the form factor of the slim. I hear there are cases you can stick a slim in that allow it to use hard drives, but those only seem to exist on google and no physical rendition of them exit.

So I got to thinking. A network drive perhaps? My PS2 isn't that far from my router, so it wouldn't be hard to plug it into my network.

However, I don't want to have my computer on all the time just so I can play my PS2 games. So, how about a hard drive that plugs directly into my router? This could be accessed from anywhere on my network, so perhaps I could load up my PS2 backups onto it?

Anyway, has anyone done this before? A dedicated network drive? I don't want to build a small computer just for this. I would much rather have a hard drive or some device that lets me plug in my spare external hard drive via esata or USB or whatever.

If this does work, I suppose I could get my Wii to use the network drive as well, freeing up a USB port. But if it doesn't work for my Wii, oh well, it's not like my hard drive plugged into it is an eye sore.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless I'm mistaken the slims don't have any way to get on the internet or a network only the phats with the official adapter
And at that point its better to just put a hard drive in (the adapter holds a hard drive)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure about the PS2 stuff (I have chips if I ever decide to go down that path) but "hard drive that plugs into the router" assuming your router does not have the ability to handle a USB drive and you want a standalone device then the devices you want are known as network attached storage or NAS and they are quite popular these days. They act in various manners depending on what you get but SMB shares and some more conventional network protocols are a given with better ones supporting more methods.

The wii will probably not work but some models have abilities to be accessed by USB cables/act as USB drives.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fear Zoa said:
Unless I'm mistaken the slims don't have any way to get on the internet or a network only the phats with the official adapter
And at that point its better to just put a hard drive in (the adapter holds a hard drive)
The slims have a Ethernet plug in on the back.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. Slims have an ethernet port built into them.

Really, what I'm asking is has anyone had a dedicated network drive for their PS2 backups n such? What was your success n such. Problems and what not.

Or even plugging in a network drive directly into the PS2 it self and not the router.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If it works, then only with Open PS2 Loader as far as i know. It is supposed to run games from network shares as well as NAS. So i guess it depends if your router emulates one of both correctly or not. Also looking here:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/official-open-ps2-loader-forum/
might be a good idea, that's were Open PS2 Loader comes from, and there's a lot more infomation about it than here.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a WD mybook LIVE 2TB and its just a no brainer.
You dont need to dedicated the whole thing to your ps2. I use it to stream my movies to the wii and ps3 and make backups of my computers files as these support upnp/dlna as well as smb.
Really really easy to setup you just have to go in your router and fix the ip then create a share and voila!

EDIT:smile with a little blink. i sound like a salesmans!! I suggest you also try usb i use usb also because i really like PS2edsl but it only support usb most games are very playable. All my games are on my m=network but some smaller ones i also have on a usb flash.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course I wouldn't have to dedicate it to the PS2, I'm more wondering if people have had hard drives hooked up to their network and how well it works with the PS2. If I did grab that hard drive, I would use it for far more then just PS2 backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1