Gaming NETGEAR Wireless Dongle Help

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone, another problem:
I have recently got my new computer (well second hand but formatted) about a month ago (27th Dec i think). Anyway, i have been using the internet since i got it using a NETGEAR WPN111 Wireless USB dongle, and it has been working perfectly. But just now, i wake the PC up from sleep and there is no NETGEAR Smart Wizard thing (which it needs to run) in the corner of my desktop (and the windows connection shows a cross). So i was left internet-less. I try running the NEGEAR Smart Wizard from programs and it flashes up on the screen for about half a second and then disappears (although it then showed up in the task manager). Still no internet.

I tried restarting the pc (actual restart button not turn off then on again) which had absolutely no effect and the same things happened again. So I shut the pc down and turned it on again and this time it works. So I start browsing GBAtemp news and the internet cut off. Just randomly, and the NETGEAR wizard icon in the corner had gone again – back to square one. I do another restart – no affect. I do another switch-off-switch-on-again and it works, exactly the same as before.

So I decided to install the latest drivers for it (which they were already updated but I did it anyway) and I started the installation. But after I click ‘Finish’ it just disappeared with no icon in the corner (as though it weren’t running) but it was there in task manager. Also, if I ran the smart wizard it just popped up again briefly, the same as before. Also, windows said I was connected and the internet worked now… weird.

So I continue on the internet when it stops again, so I try to open the smart wizard again (btw if I did that yesterday it would normally have just come up with all the settings etc.) and it goes to the installation thing again. I go through it with the same result as before – internet works but no program is running (seemingly).
Anyway, this is really annoying me having to reinstall every time it crashes every 5 mins so does anyone know of any solution?

Thanks,
Wizzerzak

BTW: I have tried unplugging and plugging it back in and that used to work but now doesn’t.
It also seems that the time during intervals where it crashes decrease every time.

Edit:
Firewall: AVG Free

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
anyone? please? Steam downloads are now really hard to download due to crappy netgear...

If no one has any ideas then could someone please suggest the next step?
Dongle or network card - which is better? (bearing in mind i don't need to take the wi-fi with me to any other machines)

And if the network card is a better choice how good is the Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card WMP54G?

Magoo222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I remember correctly, you can uninstall the Netgear programme and just control the dongle using Windows. I'd suggest uninstalling it, reboot the PC, and then set up a network in the same way you normally would in Vista. There's a setting somewhere that says "Allow Windows to Configure this network" or similar, you might need to check that is selected as I think the Netgear software overrules it.

If it doesn't work, I'd guess it's a faulty dongle. Just another quick thought, have you tried other USB ports just in case it's the PC that's causing the problem?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yh i've been using the a different usb port for the past day which seems to be working fine but it still comes up with the connection wizard at startup and i still have no way of getting the netgear settings to show.
I'm just looking the setting you said to change now, thanks.

EDIT: OK i've just realised i could have done this ages ago but thanks for reminding me Magoo. I went to set up wireless connection and set it all up manually, i think it works now i'm just gonna do a restart to check.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"