Gaming Netflix app for Switch

CTR640

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey everyone,

so my little brother asked me on the phone if the Switch is good and I answered back yes as it has pretty fun games and when he came back home, he brought one so it's a little surprise for me lol
My knowledge is very limited on this device but so far as I've found out, it's unhackeable. The screen is pretty nice and lovely tho! But how come there is no Netflix app? Am I missing something? I read some news pages a while back about Netflix for the Switch but been searching in the eShop and nothing. Is it only available using the other ways like hacking or installing Android or what? Or is it geoblocked?

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And how do I do that with the Switch? It has to be hacked?
It would have to be vulnerable to the boot rom exploit. If he purchased a new switch then it is almost certainly not vulnerable so he cant boot andriod and run Netflix I believe that there are some ways to access it using the built in web browser but its too much hassle to be worth it just watch Netflix on a different device.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
also because it would be hacked he wouldnt get hd videos on netflix

besides the switch only has a 6.2 inch
1280x720p screen

any phone should give significantly better results

CTR640

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It would have to be vulnerable to the boot rom exploit. If he purchased a new switch then it is almost certainly not vulnerable so he cant boot andriod and run Netflix I believe that there are some ways to access it using the built in web browser but its too much hassle to be worth it just watch Netflix on a different device.
What the f... You gotta be kidding me. So unless using the Switch for games, this device is pretty much useless and worthless?
I would have loved it to borrow the Switch at night for watching Netflix too but stock firmware won't allow that? Then why are there news about Netflix coming to Switch?

Sorry for the immediate questions.

Also important to add:
Firmware is latest, 10.2.0
Serial are XKJ

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also because it would be hacked he wouldnt get hd videos on netflix

besides the switch only has a 6.2 inch
1280x720p screen

any phone should give significantly better results

I do have a 7.2" screen phone, which is the Huawei Mate20X but due to the screen ratio of the Switch and being able to play games too, I would have liked to do all that on the Switch.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use it to watch Hulu and YouTube. If it's brand new and you want to hack it, you'll have to get a modchip for it. Right now your only option that I know of is the SX Core. If you want to take that route, you might want to buy one sooner than later. The SX Team has run into some legal trouble, and a bunch of their resellers have closed. There are still places you can buy from though, if you want.

Older units could be hacked without a modchip, but I doubt you have that luxury.

Reactions: gamemasteru03
D

Deleted User

What the f... You gotta be kidding me. So unless using the Switch for games, this device is pretty much useless and worthless?
I would have loved it to borrow the Switch at night for watching Netflix too but stock firmware won't allow that? Then why are there news about Netflix coming to Switch?

There... aren't? Neither Nintendo or Netflix confirmed anything

Reactions: gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also important to add:
Firmware is latest, 10.2.0
Serial are XKJ

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I do have a 7.2" screen phone, which is the Huawei Mate20X but due to the screen ratio of the Switch and being able to play games too, I would have liked to do all that on the Switch.
Yep, there is youtube and hulu like others said above but besides those not really any other media apps. There has been rumors about Netflix coming to the switch since 2017 and so far nothing has happened.

CTR640

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yep, there is youtube and hulu like others said above but besides those not really any other media apps. There has been rumors about Netflix coming to the switch since 2017 and so far nothing has happened.
Oh I see. So nothing is truely confirmed? I did read about them a while back, like a year ago or more but it seems nothing changed.

Yeah, imagine wanting to play video games on your game console.
You're not getting my point. It'd be awesome to do all of that on one device. I remember our PS3 had the Netflix app. Games for my little brother and for me the streaming app.

D

Deleted User

Oh I see. So nothing is truely confirmed? I did read about them a while back, like a year ago or more but it seems nothing changed.

You're not getting my point. It'd be awesome to do all of that on one device. I remember our PS3 had the Netflix app. Games for my little brother and for me the streaming app.

While Sony and Microsoft are more recognized for having a lot of useful third-party apps like Netflix so the console could have multiple uses and not only be a game system since the PS3 and Xbox 360 era, Nintendo never really got to that point (If we don't count the Nintendo Wii, but well, that was more to appeal to the casual market, and was still pretty limited if we look what Xbox 360 and PS3 had)
I believe Netflix is gonna come some day or another, I mean, Wii and Wii U had it, but, not really sure when

Last edited by ,

CTR640

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While Sony and Microsoft are more recognized for having a lot of useful third-party apps like Netflix so the console could have multiple uses and not only be a game system since the PS3 and Xbox 360 era, Nintendo never really got to that point (If we don't count the Nintendo Wii, but well, that was more to appeal to the casual market)
I believe Netflix is gonna come some day or another, I mean, Wii and Wii U had it, but, not really sure when
Indeed, just found a website explaing the Switch has to be modded as the Netflix app is not official.

The PS3 having the official streaming app was very awesome as I didn't have a smart tv years ago and I don't like to use my smartphone. Games and streaming on one device is nice and on a portable device much more better.

I've gathered some usefull informations. Thanks all ^^

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16