Neither Joycon charges when attached to switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by PIXeL_92, Jun 2, 2019.

1. PIXeL_92
    OP

PIXeL_92 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hi All,

I have fixed a switch that didn't boot. I have come to attach the joycons to test it and whilst they are detected and paired they don't charge, it is the same for both sides, when attaching them to a known working switch they do charge.

So far all I have tried is;

Disconnect the fan
    Re-seated the rail ribbon cables
    Updated the controllers / switch

Has anyone else had this happen before and if so how did you fix or does anyone know where on the board I need to check ?

Thanks in advance

2. Borega

Borega Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2019
    Germany
    Does the switch charge?

3. PIXeL_92
    OP

PIXeL_92 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Yeah switch does charge. Just no lightning bolt on the joycons.

4. Borega

Borega Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2019
    Germany
    Look for the 5v line on the pinout of the joycon connector. If that is not there than you need to look around the bq chip area. I have no idea how the power lines for joycons are there. Sry

5. Loko4

Loko4 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    Brazil
    The best way to know where is the problem is using a charger grip or even another switch to be sure if the problem is in the joycons or in the switch

6. PIXeL_92
    OP

PIXeL_92 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Will do some probing later today, I think I have a couple spare BQ chips I can drop on and test. Thanks

I have a few sets of Joy Cons and they are all the same on the problem switch. Put them in a working switch and they behave as normal. Thanks

7. Borega

Borega Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2019
    Germany
    Please report back with your findings.

8. PIXeL_92
    OP

PIXeL_92 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Shall do, not round to doing it yet.

9. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    The problem could be the ribbon cables inside the back of the switch connected to the rails. Either both of them are not seated properly or badly damaged.
    I had to replace my left rail ribbon b/c I carelessly yanked it off trying to get a stripped screw out. But yeah damaging those ribbons in any kind of way= RIP joycon charging.

Last edited by MasterJ360, Jun 4, 2019
  10. PIXeL_92
    OP

PIXeL_92 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    United Kingdom
    So on each side of the console I am getting 1.79v going to the joycons whilst connected to the AC adapter, on the little resister that is inline with the connector for the left joycon that is only getting 0.6v across it.

The rails are good, the switch detects them just not charging, I have also tried replacing with known working.

11. PIXeL_92
    OP

PIXeL_92 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    United Kingdom
    @Borega are these the values I should be expecting ?

Regards

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Try cleaning the pins in the rails, in the ribbon connector and cleaning the ribbon cable itself, and look closely and make sure there's no corrosion.

13. PIXeL_92
    OP

PIXeL_92 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Tried new rails this didn't make a difference :(

14. NoNAND

NoNAND Just a GBAtemper thriving in his natural habitat

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    GBAtemp's Discord Server
    Perhaps you should consider getting a new set of joycon rails if what the other guys above suggested didn't work.

15. PIXeL_92
    OP

PIXeL_92 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I have swapped them out for new working ones and the issue is still present. I have ordered both the ICs that control the USB and Charging. Replaced one, but I have damaged the connector for the LCD flex -___- 1 pin has slip out of place so I have ordered a new connector to replace it with. Will see how it goes once it turns up.