• Start date
  • Views 303,060
  • Replies 1,533
  • Likes 5

zfa

Trophies
XP
Country
There is still some work to do on a lot of homebrew programs to give them usb access as well.
I am glad stfour tried it out, and I hope others will start supporting it as well. There are usually just some minor changes needed,
and there is no difference for real nand operation.

Hi obcd,

You're right about the other homebrew of course - I just meant for game/channel launching. I can now take my drive to my friends who have modded Wii's and launch not only my USB luancher directly from my drive under their Wii's Homebrew Channel but also my emu NAND (provided their cIOS is uptodate enough). With the new cIOS launchers also supporting saved games on an emu NAND I can also have all my saves with me. It's great to have everything so nice and self-contained.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People that wanna try to launch neek2o without /sneek folder on sd-card (or with sd-card removed) can try this dol HERE*

* This dol is only for testing and will only work with rev58

As far as my limited testing of switching in and out of NEEK2O goes, this works perfectly. Now that stfour has his pl3 neekbooter accessing postloader via your ISFS mod we have a completely SD free solution. Great work and many thanks.
How would we make our own .dol for future ref cause isn't the files in the sd:\\sneek\ embedded into this .dol? and occasionally need updating or am I only confusing myself LoL

Thanks for the info; may the :moogle: be with you

zfa

Trophies
XP
Country
People that wanna try to launch neek2o without /sneek folder on sd-card (or with sd-card removed) can try this dol HERE*

* This dol is only for testing and will only work with rev58

As far as my limited testing of switching in and out of NEEK2O goes, this works perfectly. Now that stfour has his pl3 neekbooter accessing postloader via your ISFS mod we have a completely SD free solution. Great work and many thanks.
How would we make our own .dol for future ref cause isn't the files in the sd:\\sneek\ embedded into this .dol? and occasionally need updating or am I only confusing myself LoL

Thanks for the info; may the :moogle: be with you

I'm only an end-user but I'm guessing that the boot.dol I got from OverjoY's 'load directly from USB:/sneek/' post is effectively just loading an internal 'armboot.bin' into memory or something and then kicking off the USB kernel.bin directly from that. I can't actually see any reason why it would need to be updated once it's working unless there's a fundamental architecture change. I would think only the kernel.bin will change with new NEEK2O releases.

Of course OverjoY and obcd will know the real answer but from what I see it actually makes upgrading easier if anything as just the USB:/sneek/.... files are replaced each time, not those and SD:/sneek/kernel.bin as well.

cippazza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xflak, how does that setting.txt exactly work?

i have 4 files in the support folder now, EURsetting.txt, USAsetting.txt, etc.

How do i use them?

(PS. i tried to look it up in the modmii topic, but didn't find it, maybe i missed it?)
rename the appropriate region file to setting.txt and save it on the emunand. By default the cmd line tool will accept a serial number as input and output 4 setting files, one for each region.
I copied the setting.txt (with my own serial) over the old one in \title\00000001\00000002\data and let neek2o build/expand the nand...i am still having problems with setting up the internet, getting error code 110213.

do a dump of your real nand and copy setting.txt from that dump. this made my internet connection working, but I still had problems making Wiiconnect24 work.
In the end I made a dump of my real nand (4.1E) and now I use it as my emu nand, so I updated to 4.3, Wiiconnect24 works, etc.etc. ...

bye

PS: I have only just one issue: when running CoD MW3 PAL, from multiplayer menu the game warns me there is an update and asks me what to do, if I choose to update I see a box saying the update is downloading and my usb drive blinks, but then nothing happens. Any ideas ?

obcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@zfa and kylster

The boot.dol that launches into neek2o without sd card is a test version. It has the kernel.bin embedded in the application just like it has the armboot.bin in there.
armboot.bin doesn't change very often, so, we will keep that in the application. A final release of the program will load kernel.bin from the usb drive instead of having it
embedded in the source. The reason I think it works like that is because Overloy clearly says that this version is for R58 only. If it would load kernel.bin from the usb drive,
it wouldn't have this version restriction.

@cippazza

I have no idea what goes wrong with the update download. I do however think that the official sneek source had some modifications which might be to solve such issues.
Those however broke the creation of diconfig.bin the first time, so I removed them from our code again. I can see to change it back, but I can't guarantee that it will solve
the problem.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I copied the setting.txt (with my own serial) over the old one in \title\00000001\00000002\data and let neek2o build/expand the nand...i am still having problems with setting up the internet, getting error code 110213.

do a dump of your real nand and copy setting.txt from that dump. this made my internet connection working, but I still had problems making Wiiconnect24 work.
In the end I made a dump of my real nand (4.1E) and now I use it as my emu nand, so I updated to 4.3, Wiiconnect24 works, etc.etc. ...

bye

PS: I have only just one issue: when running CoD MW3 PAL, from multiplayer menu the game warns me there is an update and asks me what to do, if I choose to update I see a box saying the update is downloading and my usb drive blinks, but then nothing happens. Any ideas ?
This was just as a test to see if it helped, if so modmii really needs the correct serial number to correctly setup the internet connection and wiiconnect24..i am afraid the test failed. I already knew how to manually solve it, i copied the SYSCONF from my real nand to the emunand. That makes wiiconnect24 work too..
It seems to me that if the setting.txt is doing something, it only effects the internet connection, which in my case made it worse.
a fresh modmii nand did let me configure the internet, it just didn't do updates, replacing the file with a setting.txt with my own serial resulted in not being able at all to setup a connection...

Here is my 2 cents about why i think wiiconnect24 does not work in a modmii created nand, if you want to use it you need to agree to something first, if something is not right with the wii setup , it wont go to the right internet page with the agreement and gets aborted. It is still possible to have a internet connection, updating just won't work , which means wiiconnect24 and the shopchannel won't either. My guess is that somehow the wii ser.nr. and country settings are checked, or maybe it is the EULA and country settings..

About cod3, wiiconnect needs to work correctly, and the latest version of the shopchannel needs to installed, then it will work..

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the help in this thread.

neek2o, 4.3U, UNEEK+DI

My next issue is regarding the Music Store for Rock Band 3. I copied my actual RB3 save file over so it can save things. I now want to be able to download music, but it says I have to use the Nintendo Shop first. I did this, and accepted the AUP, but I don't think it saved that I did that. Any way to make this work?

Thanks

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@zfa and kylster

The boot.dol that launches into neek2o without sd card is a test version. It has the kernel.bin embedded in the application just like it has the armboot.bin in there.
armboot.bin doesn't change very often, so, we will keep that in the application. A final release of the program will load kernel.bin from the usb drive instead of having it
embedded in the source. The reason I think it works like that is because Overloy clearly says that this version is for R58 only. If it would load kernel.bin from the usb drive,
it wouldn't have this version restriction.

@cippazza

I have no idea what goes wrong with the update download. I do however think that the official sneek source had some modifications which might be to solve such issues.
Those however broke the creation of diconfig.bin the first time, so I removed them from our code again. I can see to change it back, but I can't guarantee that it will solve
the problem.
I know this may be an off the wall question but what holds the compatibility when building neek2o is it only the files located on the usb drive? I just figured it was both set of files on sd and usb. Well I understand if you I may sound confusing I really dont know how to word what I'm thinking right now LoL happy thanksgiving everyone :)
nswitch updated on googlecode.

USB users won't need kernel.bin on sd anymore
You know sweet deal; think person66 might update their awesome channel to this new dol ;)
Thank you everyone.

cippazza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About cod3, wiiconnect needs to work correctly, and the latest version of the shopchannel needs to installed, then it will work..

Wiiconnect24 works correctly and the shopchannel is updated, but I can't download the update... I don't know if it's neek2o related, I will try with my real nand.

bye

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

AWESOME!!!

Where are all the excited ppl? In case some people don't understand the implications of this update... it means you can use uneek and uneek+di WITHOUT an SD Card!

@Overjoy... how does this work anyways? Autoloading like the last nswitch or is there a menu (I'm hoping auto)? Is this accurate: if usb:\sneek\kernel.bin is found then that is loaded, and if that's missing and sd:\sneek\kernel.bin is found then that is loaded instead (and if both are missing then it just exits)

seriously this is awesome, great job guys!

OverjoY

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

AWESOME!!!

Where are all the excited ppl? In case some people don't understand the implications of this update... it means you can use uneek and uneek+di WITHOUT an SD Card!

@Overjoy... how does this work anyways? Autoloading like the last nswitch or is there a menu (I'm hoping auto)? Is this accurate: if usb:\sneek\kernel.bin is found then that is loaded, and if that's missing and sd:\sneek\kernel.bin is found then that is loaded instead (and if both are missing then it just exits)

For now it's auto only. I'm planning to add a menu for selecting a nand and/or switching between sd and usb when you press a button while loading the app. And yes, it first checks usb, then sd and if nothing can be found it should exit to the sm

obcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ok, maybe a little clarification:

Classic sneek and uneek used to be launched with the bootmii ios254.
The sd:/bootmii/armboot.bin is replaced by a version that loads the sd:/sneek/kernel.bin instead of the sd:/bootmii/ppcboot.elf.
bootmii installed as boot2 also launches sd:/bootmii/armboot.bin. That's why people's wii having bootmii at boot2 directly boots into neek as well. (With the sd card inserted)

The first version of the neek2o channel and the nswitch program have the armboot.bin embedded in the program. From that moment, the sd:/bootmii/armboot.bin was no longer
needed to boot into neek2o. So the sd:/bootmii folder can contain the bootmii armboot.bin, ppcboot.elf and armboot.ini again.

The test version Overjoy released that could do the job without sd card, also had the kernel.bin of uneek2o rev. 58 embedded in the program.
With that program, the sd:/sneek/kernel.bin is no longer needed. So the system can boot into neek2o without sd card.

The latest version Overjoy released loads the kernel.bin from the usb:/sneek folder. This is also the file that is loaded when a new ios is loaded in uneek2o. So basically, from now on,
replacing the usb:/sneek/kernel.bin is enough to upgrade uneek2o to a new revision.

My ios253 launched armboot.bin from the sd:/bootsnk folder. Working that way, bootmii and sneek could be used together as well.
The sd card is needed with sd:/bootsnk/armboot.bin and sd:/sneek/kernel.bin.

We do encourage the use of the newest launcher that doesn't need the sd card for uneek2o.

obcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
yes, that's right. Forgot to mention di.bin. bootmii at ios 254 is a requirement as well. Who doesn't have it?

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AWESOME!!!

For now it's auto only. I'm planning to add a menu for selecting a nand and/or switching between sd and usb when you press a button while loading the app. And yes, it first checks usb, then sd and if nothing can be found it should exit to the sm
here's an idea, since i'm updating the whole channel, how hard is it to add a code. to let the users choose what nand to load. 4.?e/4.?u.( could this save any space for you to improve neek2o?). i wouldn't know how to write such a code, but willing to learn if it's possiable to do.

dancemonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Now I know this is going to be a silly question so be gentle. I thought you couldn't access USB for apps folder if running Uneek - DI. If that is correct I assume SD card is still required to run Joyflow etc?

obcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This situation is starting to change.
The latest postloader for instance can already launch a homebrew from the usb drive.
Others will follow (hopefully) I don't know the situation with Joyflow at this moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop trying to make on my cakes