Hacking Needing Help DSTT Broke MicroSD Card???

Malamute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I use DSTT couple days and it works good, but now DSTT dont start it show only "loading", and if i try use MicroSD card with USB reader XP cant format that and show : File System RAW & Free/Used Space 0 bytes ????

I think DSTT write something what XP cant read and "lock" MicroSD, my mate say his phone do same thing once, and only way how he got MicroSD back to work was, formatting card with that phone, so are any program or way to fix this????

Thanks!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people have problems with those crappy micro readers that come with the DSTT, so that might also be the problem. You might want to try using a different reader.

-Bri

Malamute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks for the answers, but......

I try with 4 different reader, with 3 computer, phone and camera.....XP cant do nothing, becouse DSTT "lock" card someway, phone say "unformatted" and cant format card, camera say "card locked".......so what i can do ???

Thanks!

EDIT: @Bri, like i say DSTT dont go further than "loading" screen, that start the problem and i cant even format card with PC, so are this MicroSD card DEAD......

Brand NEW MicroSD 2GB Kingston (JAPAN).......
frown.gif

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure there's software out there that can unlock them, but for now do you have a SD device that accepts a full-size card? The adapter that comes with the microSD cards has a switch on it for locking/unlocking, but that switch doesn't actually do anything to the card, it tells the machine you plug it into to lock/unlock it for you. You could use your Wii for that, if you have one. Put your microSD card in the adapter, set the switch to unlock, and plug it into your Wii. See if that unlocks it.

Malamute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
@twit21, i have SD adapter but havent Wii, cant find software or the way fix this with google, i hope here are some who can help, becouse dont know what i do, if i use warranty and they unlock it....then they found.....hmmm...."couple"..roms.....

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW, i mail DSTT Support yesterday, anyone know how fast they reply???

ndsdave

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't say I've heard of anyone getting a reply from the DSTT Team. I think the odd member has tried to contact them via email with limited or no success.

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NDSTT team probably won't be able to help you because this is a microSD card problem, not a DSTT problem. Have you tried formatting the card on your computer? Either use the disk management utility or the command line:

format k: /FS:FAT

Where "k:" is the drive letter for your microSD card. If it still gives you an error, I would check the write protect tab on the SD adapter.

I just spend the last 2 hours digging around on the internet to answer this question. MicroSD cards don't have any kind of built-in write protect feature (beyond MMC encryption), but the full-size SD adapters for them have a mechanical tab on the side that works just like the old floppy disk write protect tabs. The problem is that this tab is simply labeled "Lock" on most adapters, and is easily mistaken by new users to have some kind of "lock the microSD card in" effect. It doesn't, it's just a write protect tab. Make sure that "Lock" tab is in the off position!

Malamute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
@twit21, i know all what you tell allready and nothing works, i think i can fix this problem only if somewhere are software what can fix that problem, if not only thing what i can do is replace MicroSD with warranty......
frown.gif

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a different reader, try different format tools. Format it to FAT (FAT16/VFAT16), not the FAT32 windows default for that size. Use FAT16 up to and including 4GB (HC or not) flash.

If the tool in XP doesn't work formating to FAT16, you could download a flash drive formating tool such as the HP one.

You could also simply use a live Linux CD with QTparted (or gparted) for simplicity. The Gparted partition program has it's own live bootable CD that's handy for partitioning. You could then make sure to download the newer CD and keep it at the ready. It will do FAT16 partitioning and format a flash drive (pick the right one!) with the greatest of ease.

You see, you might need to redo the partition (table) before formating. Mine had some slack space up front which may have been for evil DRM.

When I could not "see' the drive for formating, it was the reader.

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@twit21, i know all what you tell allready and nothing works, i think i can fix this problem only if somewhere are software what can fix that problem, if not only thing what i can do is replace MicroSD with warranty......
frown.gif
I dug around for hours, man, and I'm telling you that microSD doesn't have any kind of built-in write protect function. If you're trying to format it with a cell phone or a camera that takes microSD directly (sans adapter) and it's telling you that the device is "write protected," then probably you've got a bad chip on your hands. If you're trying to get Windows to format it using a reader that takes the full-size SD adapter with your microSD in it, and you're sure that the Lock switch is off, and you still get a "write protected error"...I can only conclude that this also points to a bad chip.

Either way, unless you can reproduce it on another microSD chip, then it's premature to say that your DSTT caused this and ruined your microSD chip.

Malamute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Ill try HP format tool & Gparted, these programs not see either my MicroSD.

I think it cant be a reader becouse ill try 3 different reader and all of them see rest of mine cards, i test all mine MicroSD cards 128MB, 1GB and 2 * 2GB, only that one card are "out of business"......

Ill have two NDSL with DSTT & Kingston 2GB and the another works fine....i think ill test with 128MB Card that DSTT, becouse im not want to waste mine time warranty things if that do that again....

I think only thing what i can do are send that MicroSD back to shop, becouse i think its totally dead
frown.gif

I thank you all for the answers & tips !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The ST version honestly looks like they at least tried lol