Need suggestion

TimLyon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know it's an unrelated question to ask but I need some advice. I have a gaming review website and also I write blogs about sci-fi games. Now I need to shut down my website because of some issues but before that I want to archive my hosting account mails and I don't know the perfect solution for this. Can anyone give me some proper method?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's an unrelated question to ask but I need some advice. I have a gaming review website and also I write blogs about sci-fi games. Now I need to shut down my website because of some issues but before that I want to archive my hosting account mails and I don't know the perfect solution for this. Can anyone give me some proper method?

I'm not knowledgeable about having my own site or hosting account mails, but how about simply forwarding them all to a different email? Maybe that's not even what you mean. LoL

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An easier solution is to have set up a forwarder when you set up the original and caught all the emails you might need in an account you are keeping but that is the "should have taken backups" approach.

Some shared hosting type setups will allow migration packages, though they don't always make it that easy (if it was as easy as websites then they could not charge the renewal rates they do).
Still if they use the popular cpanel software and your new host uses it too then
https://www.recoverytools.com/blog/migrate-emails-from-cpanel-to-cpanel/
It is ultimately just files in such a setup plus some fiddling.
Something more custom requires something a bit more custom.
This is less for long term archival though (even if it would serve as such for many scenarios, might even be better in the case of some legal ones) and instead migration from one host to another.

Personally I would download a version of an email client, download whatever backup tool there is ( http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ being one example, plenty of others, download the lot with a pop3 account as that will mean a local copy of everything (you can try local with imap but it is tricky and you have to make sure you are caching everything) and the backup the setup with your email backup tool before copying the backup file, the backup tool and the version all to a disc, possibly with some redundancy (go with something like par2 http://www.quickpar.org.uk/ ) and there you have it. That way you can restore it all as it was using versions you know to work in some years time if you want to, even if involves installing a VM or maybe going on http://www.oldversion.com/ or http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/ or something to grab another OS' version of the same release.

I normally do a variation on this if migrating a client as well -- pop3 to their setup, setup new account on IMAP and move across. That way they also have another backup.
Indeed I will often do a dual IMAP and POP3 setup for a client if their email provider has a limit on inbox size and they want an archive of things.
Some online email providers might also provide such an option to merge accounts, though it is typically a paid for option if it is available at all.
A more elegant solution if you have multiple users on the email might be something like http://davmail.sourceforge.net/ which does much the same thing but aiming at working for multiple people and local server setups, however we can skip that one for now.

I hope the "reasons" are nothing too serious. Sucks to lose that kind of work. If it some career advice type doing the "scrub yourself from the internet" routine then you do have options like temporarily disabling things. Not to mention if the "OMG you said a bad word and you are applying to my university, one for the reject pile here boys" set are at all competent then there are archives of many things as well.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One way you could make it so the emails are accessible on some other email account by doing an imapsync (I'd link the github but my account is limited here, so no link, sorry)

Not the most user friendly tool but it works well. Another option could be to install something like Thunderbird, set up your email account as IMAP and then use ImportExportTools-NG to export the whole account to a .mbox file.

lukaswright

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know its not easy to migrate your data from one platform to another. Yesterday, I have tried ZOOK Webmail Backup Software for transferring of data from one platform to another.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Both of mine are i5's lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon