ROM Hack Need some tools

fgtred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea so i need some tools for an attempt at a rom translation im interested in(i don't want to say what it is because i don't want to give people hope just yet)
any tools would work as long as they have some sort of explanation
thanks in advance(BTW if this is the wrong place to ask then oops and sorry
rolleyes.gif
)

EDIT: Okay now i got most of what i need thanks to google.anyways all i really need now is a tile editor

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, there may be special tools for the game you're translating, but since you're not mentioning it, I doubt anyone will help you.

fgtred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Well, there may be special tools for the game you're translating, but since you're not mentioning it, I doubt anyone will help you.
i did say i didn't want to get people's hopes up just yet
if it looks like im in it for the long haul ill announce what game im translating

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fgtred said:
Law said:
dsbuff
Hex Workshop
thanks but i should have mentioned that i only need stuff to work on the rom itself...
thanks anyways
That'd be DSBuff to unpack the ROM...
Unless you use CrystalTile2 to open the ROM in a browser-like app...
But still, DSBuff will probably be easier since it gives you better access to files since you can unpack, do all your edits and then repack when done, rather than open, extract, edit, pack, extract, edit, pack, etc, etc, etc.

fgtred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
fgtred said:
Law said:
dsbuff
Hex Workshop
thanks but i should have mentioned that i only need stuff to work on the rom itself...
thanks anyways
But still, DSBuff will probably be easier since it gives you better access to files since you can unpack, do all your edits and then repack when done, rather than open, extract, edit, pack, extract, edit, pack, etc, etc, etc.
thanks in a week i will announce the game im translating if im totally commited, i probably will be to since it's based on an anime i really like

fgtred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
fgtred said:
thanks in a week i will announce the game im translating if im totally commited, i probably will be to since it's based on an anime i really like
PLEASE Don't say narutard or pokemanz
screw that i'd never be that lame and besides aren't there already like a dozen pokemon translation projects at the moment?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fgtred said:
screw that i'd never be that lame and besides aren't there already like a dozen pokemon translation projects at the moment?
That hasn't stopped 4 dozen noobs from saying that they were going to translate Pokemon -AND- do it completely -AND- have it done in a week -AND- be the bestest best translation.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
twiztidsinz said:
fgtred said:
Law said:
dsbuff
Hex Workshop
thanks anyways

i would advise against using Hex Workshop since it doesn't have table implementation.
CrystalTile2 is probably the best way to go, since it's powerful, and it's capable of doing anything you want and faster.
The catch is that it's in chinese. search CrystalTile2 English on google or in this forum and you will probably find psycoblaster's partial translation of it.
instead of DSBuff or DSLAzy, you might also want to try Nitroexplorer. It does the same thing, but it doesn't unpakc everything and allows you to browse first before extracting.
if you're looking for something less complicated than CrystalTile2, then windhex is pretty good for beginners, i think...

fgtred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azerty1 said:
twiztidsinz said:
fgtred said:
Law said:
dsbuff
Hex Workshop
thanks anyways

i would advise against using Hex Workshop since it doesn't have table implementation.
CrystalTile2 is probably the best way to go, since it's powerful, and it's capable of doing anything you want and faster.
The catch is that it's in chinese. search CrystalTile2 English on google or in this forum and you will probably find psycoblaster's partial translation of it.
instead of DSBuff or DSLAzy, you might also want to try Nitroexplorer. It does the same thing, but it doesn't unpakc everything and allows you to browse first before extracting.
if you're looking for something less complicated than CrystalTile2, then windhex is pretty good for beginners, i think...
thanks for the tips but i really need a tool to open a file with .cnut file extension... so anyone have anything?

fgtred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
fgtred said:
That hasn't stopped 4 dozen noobs from saying that they were going to translate Pokemon -AND- do it completely -AND- have it done in a week -AND- be the bestest best translation.
you have a point but just let them dream of doing the impossible...and if you're wondering what anime the game is based on, well lets just say it's gonna be "cool"

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fgtred said:
azerty1 said:
twiztidsinz said:
fgtred said:
Law said:
dsbuff
Hex Workshop
thanks anyways

thanks for the tips but i really need a tool to open a file with .cnut file extension... so anyone have anything?

i've never seen that file format before. generally, when romhacking, you find all kinds of files you're not familiar with. a hex editor can open quite literally any file, since it's in hexadecimal. so basically, if the .cnut is where you're finding text or stuff, then you'll probably need to reverse engineer how it's displayed through corruption.

fgtred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[/quote]

i've never seen that file format before. generally, when romhacking, you find all kinds of files you're not familiar with. a hex editor can open quite literally any file, since it's in hexadecimal. so basically, if the .cnut is where you're finding text or stuff, then you'll probably need to reverse engineer how it's displayed through corruption.
[/quote]
i get that but i have already used 6 hex editors and all of them give me thousands of zeros

EDIT: using an updated hex editor, the hex editor shows the file extension .nut which is still reletively useless info to me since i can't do anything to it, but someone may know something so i thought that i'd put it up anyways

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fgtred said:
i get that but i have already used 6 hex editors and all of them give me thousands of zeros

EDIT: using an updated hex editor, the hex editor shows the file extension .nut which is still reletively useless info to me since i can't do anything to it, but someone may know something so i thought that i'd put it up anyways

all hex editors will display the same thing. they are displaying the hex value of every byte in the file. if all you're finding are zeroes, then it's probably an empty file.
if you're looking for text, you should probably use CrystalTile2, and turn on the japanese table and manually search for some strings...
what game is this? i could take a look and see if i can find anything.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the double post, but i figured i'd might as well bump the topic.

This it how the .cnut seems to work

08xx000000#ARW(y)TEXT#INP()
where xx is the hex byte with the byte length of the text + 6 (the #INP is also read.) and y is some random ascii number
I am fairly certain that the ARW(y) is defining the face/picture to be displayed.
after the #INP() there is a 10 (probably just ending the string)
then 3 empty bytes followed by a 08, which is saying "look! next byte is the string length!"and then it goes again.
there can be any number of those opcodes, ranging from #SPD(), to #CLR(), and there was a waiting one...you should probably find them all out and figure out what they do...

it shouldn't be too hard to write the code to dump stuff. you'll have to check how much freedom you have with expanding the text, though. it can sometimes get pretty ugly...
if you know how to program, then you should probably try it out. if not, i could help you do the script dumping, but i'm a busy 12th grader, so i won't have time to corrupt it over and over again to figure out which ARW() number is which face or figure out whether we can expand the text or not...
oh, and there's some random text at the very end of the arm9.bin. i can't read japanese, but whenever i do my first search for text, i look for AAAA! (in hirogana) people always shout in japanese games...
i have no clue what's at the bottom of the arm9.bin, but i think it's dialogue, randomly, since it's got punctuation and lots of Kana...

if you weren't finding any text, then perhaps you weren't using a table? oh, and not all of them seem to have text. the first few, for example, don't seem to have much...

fgtred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azerty1 said:
Sorry for the double post, but i figured i'd might as well bump the topic.

This it how the .cnut seems to work

08xx000000#ARW(y)TEXT#INP()
where xx is the hex byte with the byte length of the text + 6 (the #INP is also read.) and y is some random ascii number
I am fairly certain that the ARW(y) is defining the face/picture to be displayed.
after the #INP() there is a 10 (probably just ending the string)
then 3 empty bytes followed by a 08, which is saying "look! next byte is the string length!"and then it goes again.
there can be any number of those opcodes, ranging from #SPD(), to #CLR(), and there was a waiting one...you should probably find them all out and figure out what they do...

it shouldn't be too hard to write the code to dump stuff. you'll have to check how much freedom you have with expanding the text, though. it can sometimes get pretty ugly...
if you know how to program, then you should probably try it out. if not, i could help you do the script dumping, but i'm a busy 12th grader, so i won't have time to corrupt it over and over again to figure out which ARW() number is which face or figure out whether we can expand the text or not...
oh, and there's some random text at the very end of the arm9.bin. i can't read japanese, but whenever i do my first search for text, i look for AAAA! (in hirogana) people always shout in japanese games...
i have no clue what's at the bottom of the arm9.bin, but i think it's dialogue, randomly, since it's got punctuation and lots of Kana...

if you weren't finding any text, then perhaps you weren't using a table? oh, and not all of them seem to have text. the first few, for example, don't seem to have much...
i know where you're comin from im a busy 11th grader but i needed something fun to do. and as it turns out all the hex editors i've been using are pretty old(like 6-12 years old
unsure.gif
) it;s actually pretty easy to find text in this game because the characters each have a favorite work printed in english in caps and watching the anime gives me a good idea what to translate to. but still i can't stand kana because of the many strokes and odd ordering...it makes my head spin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@