Hacking Need some direction on troubleshooting

Xerobull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all- I'm sort of out of troubleshooting ideas here. I've modded my Wii U according to this guide:

I then used Wii U USB helper to load VC games to the main Wii U Screen. So each game, regardless of system, has an icon on the home screen.

• Wii U (and GBA) games are playing fine, but Wii and GC games are crashing the system after loading the splashscreen.

• Sequence: Start Game: Select controller>Splashscreen>Wii logo (not Wii U)....several minutes pass on blank screen...Wii U main menu comes back up.

• I updated the Nintendont files but I have a suspicion that's not the issue since they're VC games. And that wouldn't explain why the Wii games don't work, either.

I'm very technical and have been modding consoles since the original X-Box but my experience with the Wii U isn't where I can pinpoint the issue. Any help is appreciated.

Xerobull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fixed it!

I was reading this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-uno...cript-doesnt-work-black-screen-thread.527752/

Some of the talk about some USB drives not working properly resounded to me, in particular the part about the Wii U having a soft-reboot and timing out when certain drives didn't turn back on in time for the vWii to read them. One thing that we usually forget in troubleshooting is Layer 1 of the OSI model- Physical. I was sure the actual drive was working OK, and for laughs I tried a different powered USB hub....and boom! Every game started working. This USB hub had power switches for each USB port so I turned all of them 'off' except the one I used.

For posterity's sake, I'll list what I have. Maybe this will help others in the future.

• Hard Drive: Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Touch 2TB Portable Hard Drive Model STHH2000600, from Costco

• First 'non-working' USB hub that I got the black screen on for VC Gamecube and Wii games (but still worked for Wii-U Vc games): Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual LED Power Switches, from Amazon
    • With: AC to DC Adapter 5V 2A Power Supply Adapter with 1.35mm x 3.5mm Barrel Plug AC Charger, separately purchased from Amazon
  • Second, 'working' USB hub that 'fixed' the issue: sunvito 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Switches and LEDs, USB Hub 2.0, from Amazon
    • With: AC to DC Adapter 5V 2A Power Supply Adapter with 1.35mm x 3.5mm Barrel Plug AC Charger, separately purchased from Amazon
I guess you can say that this further isolates the black screen issue to the wonky, underpowered Wii-U USB ports and their interoperability with USB devices. I read that some people have this issue with powered USB drives, and I can only speculate that since these drives can 'sleep' when not in use that could be the issue.

I'm going to post this resolution in the other thread to help people. If that's considered a duplicate post, I guess mods please feel free to kill this thread.

Last edited by Xerobull,
D

Deleted User

Why are you using a hub at all are you using multiple drives? You only actually need either a y cable if it's usb powered or a wall powered hard drive.

Xerobull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you using a hub at all are you using multiple drives? You only actually need either a y cable if it's usb powered or a wall powered hard drive.

Because I have powered hubs and I do not have Y cables. I work with the tools at hand before I spend more on new items.

If you read the other thread, there are issues with Y cables as well.

At any rate, my issue is resolved, hope the info helps.

D

Deleted User

My y cable has worked for over 4 years now.

But if it's working for you great, although it's a waste to recommend it others when they probably don't have a hub and a hub is not necessary. Y cables are cheaper than hubs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.