Hardware Need Some Advice

Deleted member 370283

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm in a bit of a pickle here.
You see, for Pokemon's 20th Birthday, they're releasing those super smexy New 3DSs, and I absolutely love them to death. With the money I currently have, as well as money that I would get from selling my Old 3DS, I should have enough to grab one.

...But I really don't know if it's worth it or not.
Sure, Nintendo is going to say, "Yeah, its a great time to upgrade!" but I know the NX is around the corner, so I'm conflicted as to whether or not it'd be worthwhile to upgrade a system I already have that I'd only be using for a couple of months or so (providing the NX DOES come this year).

Thoughts?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're going to hack it and play emulators etc then an n3ds is great. If you want to be able to play all 3ds games in 3d then an n3ds is much better for that.

Deleted member 370283

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I'm going all in with my 3DS in terms of homebrew AND the latest games.
That leads me to another issue, though. Considering this will be the latest N3DS model, would it come preshipped with 10.5, or would it still be plausible for it to have 10.3?
If it has 10.3, I can downgrade an do what I need to do, but if it has 10.5, I'm screwed.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Yes, I'm going all in with my 3DS in terms of homebrew AND the latest games.
That leads me to another issue, though. Considering this will be the latest N3DS model, would it come preshipped with 10.5, or would it still be plausible for it to have 10.3?
If it has 10.3, I can downgrade an do what I need to do, but if it has 10.5, I'm screwed.
You have a good chance those will still be on 10.3. We can't be sure - so it would be better to wait for someone to report what firmware the consoles come - but in any case, if it's on 10.3, you'll need CN, OOT or SSB to launch the Homebrew Launcher, as the browser will be locked. It's also recommended to have a hardmod, as N3DS downgrade seems to be unstable for a lot of people (even if it worked flawlessly for me).

EDIT: And also, even if your console comes with 10.5, you can still downgrade it with a hardmod.

Last edited by Deleted member 370671,

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
When you say
they're releasing those super smexy New 3DSs

Do you mean these?
10407058.jpg

Devastus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a good chance those will still be on 10.3. We can't be sure - so it would be better to wait for someone to report what firmware the consoles come - but in any case, if it's on 10.3, you'll need CN, OOT or SSB to launch the Homebrew Launcher, as the browser will be locked. It's also recommended to have a hardmod, as N3DS downgrade seems to be unstable for a lot of people (even if it worked flawlessly for me).

EDIT: And also, even if your console comes with 10.5, you can still downgrade it with a hardmod.

Browser blocked on old firmwares now?

Deleted member 370283

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they're just coverplates... :|
I understand that, but...
  1. They'll most likely never be sold separately.
  2. The bundle comes with Pokemon Red and Blue preinstalled as a perk.
  3. It just looks plain awesome.
Once again, this all really makes me want to get one and upgrade, but I'm afraid that the NX will come later in the year, and I'll have basically wasted money (especially with having a perfectly working 3DS already).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte