Hacking Need Some Advice

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey All,

I am currently running 3.2U with Cios Rev 13, and I am a bit confused on some items and figure it would be best to ask a couple of questions here. If there is some place where I could read up on this stuff, it would be useful as well so I can understand this better.

I use to use my Wiikey v.1.9s to play games, but I started to use a usb drive for all my games to save the the DVD Drive and because it is so much better off of USB. So I really don't care about running games off of my DVD Drive. So here are my questions:

1- Is there a reason for me to play games off of DVD now a days, especially since most loaders have the ALT-DOL method already built in? The only game I could think of is Metroid Trilogy, and I am still holding onto hope that some one figures out how to split it into 3 seperate games. (I use Banners, so I would kinda want to see it as three seperate banners. That would be awesome).

1- Is there any real reason that I would need to upgrade from 3.2U to something more recent if I am using loaders, and I want to play some of the newer games like RE or NSMB?

2- I don't mind that my drive is WBFS, so is there any reason for me to upgrade from Rev 13 up to 14 or 15 if I don't need FAT32?

3- Is it correct that when I install Cios Revisions, that it install the the IOS from Nintendo, therefore I can technically remain on 3.2U and be usning the IOS of 4.2? Is it better to do a Cios Update or to use Dop-IOS?

4- Does Cios rev 14 or 15 now work with the Mic in the music games?

5- There is green dots on some of my games, and I read somewhere that could be caused by the CIOS, is that correct?

6- I see a lot of people bashing Wankinko and his Revisions. Why is that. What is everyone using now.

7- Is there anything else that I am missing

Sorry about all the questions, it seems that if you are not messing with your Wii everyday, you lose track of all the things going on. I have a newborn at home, so I haven't played with my Wii in ages and I finally have a week off from work and want to try some of the new games out there. I don't need to go crazy with things, all I want to do is play some games off of my HDD. And I may also check out the new Excite Bike for Wiiware. So any help would be appreciated.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
alucard77 said:
Hey All,

I am currently running 3.2U with Cios Rev 13, and I am a bit confused on some items and figure it would be best to ask a couple of questions here. If there is some place where I could read up on this stuff, it would be useful as well so I can understand this better.

I use to use my Wiikey v.1.9s to play games, but I started to use a usb drive for all my games to save the the DVD Drive and because it is so much better off of USB. So I really don't care about running games off of my DVD Drive. So here are my questions:

1- Is there a reason for me to play games off of DVD now a days, especially since most loaders have the ALT-DOL method already built in? The only game I could think of is Metroid Trilogy, and I am still holding onto hope that some one figures out how to split it into 3 seperate games. (I use Banners, so I would kinda want to see it as three seperate banners. That would be awesome). There is no real reason to play games off DVD, except retail games. USB loaders are the way to go.

1- Is there any real reason that I would need to upgrade from 3.2U to something more recent if I am using loaders, and I want to play some of the newer games like RE or NSMB? No need to upgrade at all, I am on 3.2 too and I am playing all new games and VC/ WiiWare with no problems.

2- I don't mind that my drive is WBFS, so is there any reason for me to upgrade from Rev 13 up to 14 or 15 if I don't need FAT32? Go and update your cIOS to rev14, its the best choice ATM besides Hermes cIOS, dont update to rev15, its broken.

3- Is it correct that when I install Cios Revisions, that it install the the IOS from Nintendo, therefore I can technically remain on 3.2U and be usning the IOS of 4.2? Is it better to do a Cios Update or to use Dop-IOS? It is recommended to keep your IOS up to date as newer games needs different IOS, you can either install them with Dop IOS or download them with NUSD and install the wads.

4- Does Cios rev 14 or 15 now work with the Mic in the music games? Hermes cIOS 202 is needed for USB mics and stuff.

5- There is green dots on some of my games, and I read somewhere that could be caused by the CIOS, is that correct? TBH, IDK that, sry.

6- I see a lot of people bashing Wankinko and his Revisions. Why is that. What is everyone using now. Something went wrong when rev15 was released, either wanted by Waninkoko or it was a mistake... rev15 seems to have less compatibility then rev14, this is why some ppl are bitching about Waninkoko, Hermes cIOS 202, 222, 223 and cIOS 38 rev14 should suffice for the mainstream Wii user.

7- Is there anything else that I am missing Hmm, lets see, USB loader, cIOS... IOS... nope looking good.

Sorry about all the questions, it seems that if you are not messing with your Wii everyday, you lose track of all the things going on. I have a newborn at home, so I haven't played with my Wii in ages and I finally have a week off from work and want to try some of the new games out there. I don't need to go crazy with things, all I want to do is play some games off of my HDD. And I may also check out the new Excite Bike for Wiiware. So any help would be appreciated. I know, I know... I have 2 kids, 4 and 2 years old and they keep you busy^^

Ramzee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alucard77 said:
1- Is there a reason for me to play games off of DVD now a days, especially since most loaders have the ALT-DOL method already built in? The only game I could think of is Metroid Trilogy, and I am still holding onto hope that some one figures out how to split it into 3 seperate games. (I use Banners, so I would kinda want to see it as three seperate banners. That would be awesome)
1- Most games will work through a usb loader but (as you say) some games just won't work off a usb loader at the moment - particularly those that reload their IOS. So for now it's still useful to have the option to play via the DVD drive.

QUOTE said:
1- Is there any real reason that I would need to upgrade from 3.2U to something more recent if I am using loaders, and I want to play some of the newer games like RE or NSMB?

I think upgrading to 4.0/4.1 for HDSD support might be worth it but, care needs to be taken to avoid IOS60 v6400 from nintendo as it's an empty stub which the 4.1 System Menu will not run on.
QUOTE said:
2- I don't mind that my drive is WBFS, so is there any reason for me to upgrade from Rev 13 up to 14 or 15 if I don't need FAT32?
I don't think cIOS38 rev 14 supports FAT drives. Config USB Loader uses Hermes cIOS222 for FAT partitions.

3 - I think you're being confused by CIOSCorp which modifies multiple nintendo IOSs and overwrites the original versions.

Hermes cIOS222/223 and Waninkoko's cIOS249 take a Nintendo IOS (ie IOS38), add modifications to it (ie USB support) and store it in an unused slot (ie 222, 223 or 249). Updating either of those cIOSs will update that cIOS but not change any of Nintendo's IOSs.

Dop-IOS on the other hand is designed to install/update Nintendo's IOSs ie you could update IOS38 v3610 to v3876 or install a missing IOS that a game required. Dop-IOS won't install stub IOSs.

QUOTE4- Does Cios rev 14 or 15 now work with the Mic in the music games?
cIOS38 rev 14 and 15 will work with a mic in most music games. However some still prefer to use cIOS 222/223.

5- There is green dots on some of my games, and I read somewhere that could be caused by the CIOS, is that correct?
Don't know, never hear of it. You could try updating your IOSs - though it sounds more like a hardware fault?

(6) It's the usual thing - it's always easier to find fault. If Waninkoko was to wait till his cIOS was 100% perfect the rest of the world would never see it. So he gets as good as he can and then releases it and then some complain it's not perfect.

I think most are installing both cIOSs (Waninkoko's and Hermes) along with 2 or 3 trucha patched Nintendo IOSs, but it's horses for courses.

mdmachine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think G0dlike covered all the bases well. If you are on 3.2 and don't need to use the SD crap, there is no need to update at all. You seem to be situated.

I use triiforce and expect its compatibility to improve over time.

As for #5 sounds like it could be the "pixels of death" situation, which is believed to be caused by the unit overheating, thus creating temporary and/or permanent artifacts.

Your best solution, if this is the case. Is to make sure your wii is in a nice cool ventilated area, and make sure it turns off instead of going into standby.

I like having wiiconnect on myself, so I use the preloader hack to bypass standby. This will at the very least avoid any further damage, and even if it isn't the issue its good to avoid it from ever happening anyways.

MD

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help on this, I am going to read some stuff over about NUSD and CIOSCORP, since those are new to me.

As for #5, it happens only when using USB, and I saw someone say it was fixed in one of the releases. It isn't the Wii overheating or anything as it happens right on boot of game. It is not annoying or anything, just notice here and there.

It's almost like the game is streaming, and its a streaming artifact or something. Hopefully I can find the post on here again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: